Question for ChristieNJ re transport at Cape Liberty

Hi Leslie.....Your old shipmate here...Yes, you are right. By 10 a.m. the commuters are already at their jobs. DD & SIL both have editors in NY City and they must take the path now and then when they don't drive in.

See you again onboard one day!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Don't consider going into Bayonne for sightseeing. If you want to see something interesting, Liberty State Park is nearby.

You can ferry over from there and see the Statue of Liberty, and go up inside the statue as far us as the toes on the base, which is 9 stories, then look through a plexiglass ceiling to see the framework all the way to the crown.

Other than Liberty State Park, I cannot think of any other sights. Have fun.

I strongly disagree. There are lots of interesting things to do in the Bayonne area. This list has been posted before:

Being a life long NJ resident I decided to list some popular Cape Liberty, Bayonne excursions:

Beach Breaks:

Day---Excursion to clothing optional beach at Sandy Hook State Park, AARP and Rainbow lifestyle oriented.

Night--Bioluminescent radioactive snorkle around Lady Liberty. No fish or coral, but thrill to the glow of the water.

Jimmy Hoffa Burial Site Hunt:

Your tour will stop first at the tire dump under the Pulaski Skyway where Jimmy was first believed to be buried. Later you will visit the end zone at Giants stadium. Other possible visits to resting places will be determined by vote aboard the bus.

Returning you will stop at a real Soprano style mom and pop restaurant in Jersey City--see the '"gun check", be frisked, eat authentic Calamari and Cannoli.

ATV on Kennedy Blvd:

Dodge non licensed illegal alien taxi drivers...navigate around mega potholes at breakneck speed...visit Journal square-dollar store capital of the world, where if you've missed Atlantic City,you can engage in an exciting 3 card monty game on the street.Before returning, visit Bayonne's world famous Judicke's bakery for a donut. While there, be sure to make a contribution to the Overweight Police Officer's Memorial fund.

Hudson County Nightlife tour:

This is a bus tour of unlimited stops and duration to the Bars of Bayonne and Hoboken where there are more per square foot than there are churches in Vatican City. Top it off with a night of bowling at world famous Hudson Bowl-o-Rama...cash in your voucher for 2 Buds and a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Survivor Tour:

Not for the physically challenged or sane.

Your bus will take you to Newark via the famed death trap, Pulaski Skyway...2.3 miles recognized as the most lethal stretch of road in America, it has been nicknamed the 'Polish Highway to Heaven"

Should you survive and wish to continue,you can try an unguided 5K run through the scene of the 60's Newark riots. Not restored, many of the streets and burnt out dilapidated buildings look today as they did 40 years ago. A can of mace will be provided to each participant. Ambulances from UMDNJ will also be on standby.

Booking to these excursions are always limited so we suggest that you book early.

For those who are planning to drive and park, please be aware that the port has had serious problems in the past with damages to their cars by paint etc. We live 30 minutes from the port in northern NJ and plan on either taking along a car cover or using a car service!

one of the popular ones in this area is Airbrook!

also try: http://www.groundnet.com

I strongly disagree. There are lots of interesting things to do in the Bayonne area. This list has been posted before:

Being a life long NJ resident I decided to list some popular Cape Liberty, Bayonne excursions:

Beach Breaks:

Day---Excursion to clothing optional beach at Sandy Hook State Park, AARP and Rainbow lifestyle oriented.

Night--Bioluminescent radioactive snorkle around Lady Liberty. No fish or coral, but thrill to the glow of the water.

Your tour will stop first at the tire dump under the Pulaski Skyway where Jimmy was first believed to be buried. Later you will visit the end zone at Giants stadium. Other possible visits to resting places will be determined by vote aboard the bus.

Returning you will stop at a real Soprano style mom and pop restaurant in Jersey City--see the '"gun check", be frisked, eat authentic Calamari and Cannoli.

ATV on Kennedy Blvd:

Dodge non licensed illegal alien taxi drivers...navigate around mega potholes at breakneck speed...visit Journal square-dollar store capital of the world, where if you've missed Atlantic City,you can engage in an exciting 3 card monty game on the street.Before returning, visit Bayonne's world famous Judicke's bakery for a donut. While there, be sure to make a contribution to the Overweight Police Officer's Memorial fund.

This is a bus tour of unlimited stops and duration to the Bars of Bayonne and Hoboken where there are more per square foot than there are churches in Vatican City. Top it off with a night of bowling at world famous Hudson Bowl-o-Rama...cash in your voucher for 2 Buds and a pack of Lucky Strikes.

Survivor Tour:

Your bus will take you to Newark via the famed death trap, Pulaski Skyway...2.3 miles recognized as the most lethal stretch of road in America, it has been nicknamed the 'Polish Highway to Heaven"

Should you survive and wish to continue,you can try an unguided 5K run through the scene of the 60's Newark riots. Not restored, many of the streets and burnt out dilapidated buildings look today as they did 40 years ago. A can of mace will be provided to each participant. Ambulances from UMDNJ will also be on standby.

Booking to these excursions are always limited so we suggest that you book early.

Oh my God!! I've BEEN to some of those "excursions"! I think I saw some of my relatives in that Mom & Pop restaurant, eating calamari, in Jersey City!

DH's relatives live there, and we've lived in NW Jersey forever. Ahhhh....yes....They're just a bunch of good-fellas trying to make a decent living, is all. :D

Oh my God!! I've BEEN to some of those "excursions"! I think I saw some of my relatives in that Mom & Pop restaurant, eating calamari, in Jersey City!

DH's relatives live there, and we've lived in NW Jersey forever. Ahhhh....yes....They're just a bunch of good-fellas trying to make a decent living, is all. :D

You all forgot the Bada Bing Club!;)

Beach Breaks:

ATV on Kennedy Blvd:

Survivor Tour:

ROFLMAO!:D

Hi Christie

Hope you can help! I've seen that you live in NJ and we are staying in New York before our cruise on Explorer 11th November and intend getting either a taxi or private car to Cape Liberty.

But we have a problem on our return, we fly at 6pm from JFK.

Do you know if it is better for us to get a taxi, private car or do they run shuttle buses to JFK from the port?

Any other advice would be more than welcome.

Sue

I've lived in NJ most my life and I have no clue how you could sanely get from JFK to Bayonne port other than to pay a limo or taxi. The best advice would be to listen to little britain as she was on the Explorer with me in Oct. so I know she made it from JFK to the ship.:D Also you say you are staying in NY before your cruise. Does the hotel offer any transportation or limo service? You may have to pay for it but there is no way with the luggage we carry would I even attempt public transportation to the pier. In the future you now know the best place to fly into is Newark if you are going to Cape Liberty. :) It's a madhouse at the port with people trying to get off and others arriving early or to pick people up in the parking lot as there is really only one way in and one way out so you may want to have a definite plan on how you are getting back to JFK too and where and when you will meet your ride. If it was me, I'd just use a limo service no matter what the cost as that would just be one of those little things in life I'd consider priceless! :) The Newark Best Western does offer shuttle service to and from Newark airport and also to and from the pier just for the future. ;)

Hi,

I was wondering what the procedure is when parking at Cape Liberty regarding luggage.

Can the driver drop off the passengers and luggage at a convenient location before parking the car?

Is it a long walk from the parking lot?

I'm asking for my parents (65 & 70) who will be taking their first cruise in August. I want to try to make things easy on them.

Yes, the parking lot is right there next to the building. You can drop off the luggage and the passenger as well, then get into the left lane and circle around a little until you come back to where you began, but you will turn into the gated parking lot just before you see the cars in line for luggage drop.

Also, when their cruise ends, they won't have to walk far to the parking lot. They can wheel their luggage to the car.

It's $15.00 per day and they do take visa. Hope they have a wonderful time!

Hi again! Even though the dot by my screen name is green, sometimes I leave the computer on and I'm not really in front if it.....I just came back in and saw your reply.

Yes...It would be great if they would ask some questions here..So much that we all learn from each other! I am still learning after 32 cruises. Have a good night, and hope I can help them in the future.

Archived