Tell me the good & the bad of sailing the Atlantic

BluIDblonde

We cruised on the second Crown sailing (Eastern Caribbean) last summer. It was great! The Atlantic posed no problems for the ship. The last two days of the cruise (after leaving Grand Turk) were sea days and they were wonderful. And, as the temeperatures began to moderate from the humidity of the Carribean, we found ourselves sleeping very comfortably each evening with our balcony door open all night. It was one of the best voyages we've experienced.

We cruised the Atlantic in the fall of 2004 to New England and Canada from NY. We did have some very rough waters (25 st seas) and wind (~70mph) due to tropical storm Nicole. We also cruised this past fall from Baltimore to the Caribbean. We had wonderful weather. Around North Carolina it was somewhat rougher, but all in all it was great. It all depends on the weather. Have a great cruise. The extra sea days will be worth it.

What? You've never heard about the Titanic?:p

Not that it's really relevant to this thread, but had the seas not been absolutely flat calm, the accident probably never would have happened. Lookouts would have spotted the iceberg more quickly just by the wave action at its base.

I have never cruised on the Atlantic. I recently read on another posting how a passenger would never cruise the Atlantic! Tell me your stories! I'm planning on cruising from NY down to the Caribbean.

Are you concerned with sea sickness? or are you thinking you are in danger??

Sailing down the coastline is not exactly being out in the middle of the Atlantic, you are probably never much farther than 20 miles from land. You can get high seas anywhere really, cruising can be an adventure :D

Thanks for all your responses. I've been through some bad weather and rough seas in the Caribbean, so been there - done that, but the other poster made it sound so terrible! So I was wondering if I was missing something. I didn't realize how close to the land we would be cruising, so thanks for the information. This boat will also go to Bermuda at the end of the trip, so I am assuming it may be alittle rough, again depending on weather, etc.

Archived