Baltimore- Ships- 08

patrickc

Any updates out there? See a lot of confirmations that Grandeur will not be in Bmore summer '08 (Norfolk gets her). Heard on a Carnival thread that they are definitely bringing a ship to Bmore (at least that was what a Carnival employee said on thread). Sure hope that Baltimore's vacancy will bring in more ships.

Any updates out there? See a lot of confirmations that Grandeur will not be in Bmore summer '08 (Norfolk gets her). Heard on a Carnival thread that they are definitely bringing a ship to Bmore (at least that was what a Carnival employee said on thread). Sure hope that Baltimore's vacancy will bring in more ships.

Looks like the Grandeur will be sailing from Norfolk and Baltimore next year. I also hope another line moves into Baltimore. Not sure what prompted the move to alternate ports as it appeared that the Grandeur was doing well here, just glad the state did not go whole hog by building a new facility to accomodate cruise ships if this is the kind of commitment from the cruise lines they can expect.

Looks like the Grandeur will be sailing from Norfolk and Baltimore next year. I also hope another line moves into Baltimore. Not sure what prompted the move to alternate ports as it appeared that the Grandeur was doing well here, just glad the state did not go whole hog by building a new facility to accomodate cruise ships if this is the kind of commitment from the cruise lines they can expect.

Or maybe the reason the Grandeur is leaving and no other ships are coming is because Maryland didn't invest in the port. I really enjoyed being able to go on a cruise ship from a port that close but wish the state would invest more so more ships would come with different itineraries.

Or maybe the reason the Grandeur is leaving and no other ships are coming is because Maryland didn't invest in the port. I really enjoyed being able to go on a cruise ship from a port that close but wish the state would invest more so more ships would come with different itineraries.

Live just down the road. A modest investment was made to move the cruise passenger facilities but not sure going all out would have made much difference, just looks like a Catch22 situation as no guarantee was(?) forthcomeing if a major investment was made.

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun yesterday that the Granduer will be leaving midway through next year. The Granduer is going to Nolfolk to the new cruise terminal. As of right now, no new ships or lines are scheduled for the Baltimore port but, hopefully that will change. New itineries are needed to keep people traveling to Baltimore. I live 30 minutes from the Baltimore Port and it is, in my opinion, a very easy port to get in and out of. It's 20 minutes from the airport and parking in a cinch! No it's not fancy but it was highly efficient. My home state of Maryland NEEDS to invest in the port for the future of cruising in the state. I'm tired of traveling to Florida, to find a decent cruise.

Just saw this!!!

Here's the only info that I could find: http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/s...8-2efe61b39992

Apr 13, 2007 1:05 PM

New Cruise Line headed to Baltimore

Posted By: Omari Hughes

cruise-line.jpg

Word that Royal Caribbean may be ready to cut back on its cruises from the port of Baltimore next year has stirred the business waters in Charm City. But today ABC2 news has learned Baltimore will be gaining cruise business in 2008 with the arrival of a second cruise line. New arrival times required in Bermuda will force Royal Caribbean to cut back from 29 to just 16 voyages setting sail from Baltimore. At stake is some of the 56 million dollars worth of business in the city generated by more than 125 thousand passengers last year. But the Director of the Maryland Port Administration, Brooks Royster, says a second cruise line, which he plans to formally announce next month, should help the city exceed those numbers. The MD Port Administration Director says, "we've known about this for quite some time. It's not something that was sprung on us. They let us know. We have a business relationship. We have a partnership with RCCL. They let us know it was coming, gave us an opportunity to fill the donut hole. We filled it. Stay tuned." We have learned the new cruise line in Baltimore will provide new destinations in the Eastern Caribbean and along New England.

Archived