Cruising with special needs child

GwenyP

My husband and I have a little girl that just turned 3. Anna has a genetic disorder which has caused her developmental delays. She still cannot walk independently (does crawl), can't talk (babble only), needs help with feeding and isn't potty trained. We brought her on a cruise with us when she was 2 and that was OK because we had the grandparents' help. But, if it's just the 3 of us that go this time, is there a cruiseline that has a kids' program that will accommodate her? She doesn't have behavior issues, plays well by herself and is a very happy little girl. On our last cruise we were on Carnival and she wasn't old enough yet to use their kids program except for staying there a couple of hours on a shore day.

Any advice? We'd like to take a vacation where we could get a little bit of a break but don't want to leave her at home.

Is there a cruise line that can accommodate our needs?

I would think that Carnival *may* be your best bet for the simple fact that they change diapers (some others require the children to be potty trained). You should really email the special needs department at Carnival and send them the email that you just posted to us.

I hope you find the prefect place to take a vacation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has some special needs too. She didnt start walking til she was 5. She has a neurogenic bladder so she is still not potty trained and she is 8. I have to catheterize her. She still wears pampers. Other than that she is a very normal kid. She uses Ankle foot orthotics (AFO's ) to walk. They are braces for her legs. She also has epilepsy. She did fine in the kids program. I always made sure I cathed her and put a clean diaper on her before going to the kids program. She didnt need too much one on one. She is real independent, so I dont know if this helps you out or not. By the way I was on Princess Cruiseline.

I highly recommend Disney Cruise Line. They have a kids program which includes babies and toddlers. Since she isn't walking or potty trained, I think this would be the best fit.

Disney is FANTASTIC with special needs children (I have one of my own). If you have any quetions, please ask!

I would LOVE to see an update to this post. For those of you who hadn't seen the OP on the Carnival board...when she called Carnival they told her they could not accomodate her daughter because Camp Carnival is "NOT a babysitting service". And I guess the person on the phone was rude to the OP :mad:

We all told her to call someone else and ASK for a supervisor.

The thread ended up getting pulled because there are alot of cold/heartless people in this world. :(

I hope the OP found a cruiseline that would help her.

Archived