Water Island, anyone been?

Smartcookie

Hi, we're cruising on Princess so will dock at Crown Bay. This will make a trip to Water Island a no-brainer, but I'm wondering how nice it is, and whether it's worth the schlep to St. John from Crown Bay vs. just taking the ferry to Water Island.

Is the beach on Water Island beautiful, or just so-so?

I've been to St. Thomas three times on cruise stops, once to visit friends staying at the Ritz Carlton, the second time to Emerald Beach (meh) and the last time we went to Sapphire Beach. I didn't think either of those beaches was remarkable, pretty average actually (although the RC was really nice).

What's your opinion of Water Island? Should we make the trek to St. John?

Thanks for the input.

We have been to this beach using the former Kon Tiki motorized raft. The beach itself is sheltered from the sea and has palm tree fringing the beach. While the snorkeling is so-so, it is a nice beach that was very quiet. We are thinking about doing this beach from Crown Bay where the Crown Princess docks. We were there several years ago so this may have changed since.

If you're looking for remarkable, your best shot is St. John. I like Water Island, it is pretty, quiet (especially since the Kon Tiki has tiki"ed"), the beach has a pizza boat and tiki (again, that word!) bar, and the people are super nice.

In January I did the Water Island Bike Ride - it was great and then had some time on the beach. I was told that "Brad" had just finished filming a movie on Water Island, but Angelina stayed in St. John - maybe that tidbit will help you decide!

Archived