Recommendations for inexpensive lunch in Key West??

jamaica71594

It will just the two of us (Mom and Daughter) on this cruise,and since her walking is limited, I wanted have lunch with her someplace nice but inexpensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated! I would like someplace with a wide variety of choices. We will be in KW for a little under 7 hours, and we plan to do the trolley tour with a stop for lunch.

It will just the two of us (Mom and Daughter) on this cruise,and since her walking is limited, I wanted have lunch with her someplace nice but inexpensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated! I would like someplace with a wide variety of choices. We will be in KW for a little under 7 hours, and we plan to do the trolley tour with a stop for lunch.[/b

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! so you are going to be in Key West which is right up my alley since I was born and raised there - in fact a 4 generation conch :-).

The only "real" inexpensive place to eat in Key West is McDonald's which is right next to Mallory Square where you will be docked - now there is a place called RoofTop which is right accross the street from Mallory Square that has excellent food and also there is Meson de Pepe which is right in Mallory Square and there is a lot of action and shopping there - You also have 2 Friends Restaurant which is also on Front Street that has great choice of food and has been there for many years.

This is what Key west looked like during the 50's, but of course there has been so many changes - the two small islands that you see to the right is where Mallory Square became a reality.

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/dalemcdonald/dm2336.jpg

and then you have a panomanic view of Mallory Square but it does not really show its beauty or size. There are some awesome sunsets from there and if you listen super close, you can almost hear the sizzling of the sun as it goes behind the Gulf.

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/dalemcdonald/dm3735.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed these pictures and if I can answer any questions, please do not hestiate to contact me.

Always

Shirley and Norm

2 ol' conchs

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! so you are going to be in Key West which is right up my alley since I was born and raised there - in fact a 4 generation conch :-).

The only "real" inexpensive place to eat in Key West is McDonald's which is right next to Mallory Square where you will be docked - now there is a place called RoofTop which is right accross the street from Mallory Square that has excellent food and also there is Meson de Pepe which is right in Mallory Square and there is a lot of action and shopping there - You also have 2 Friends Restaurant which is also on Front Street that has great choice of food and has been there for many years.

This is what Key west looked like during the 50's, but of course there has been so many changes - the two small islands that you see to the right is where Mallory Square became a reality.

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/dalemcdonald/dm2336.jpg

and then you have a panomanic view of Mallory Square but it does not really show its beauty or size. There are some awesome sunsets from there and if you listen super close, you can almost hear the sizzling of the sun as it goes behind the Gulf.

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/dalemcdonald/dm3735.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed these pictures and if I can answer any questions, please do not hestiate to contact me.

Always

Shirley and Norm

2 ol' conchs

Well McDonalds is out of the question, but I know inexpensive is pushing it a bit, but not over the top expensive is good enough. Yes we will be there for at least 6 hours, and if all goes well, and I enjoy the island, I would like to return with my husband for a long weekend (he doesn't do cruises anywhere:rolleyes: )

It was suggested that we take the conch train around the island for the best tour, and then hop on and off, but my Moms walking is limited, so we will not do too much of that. However, she loves to shop so I hope we find interesting stores for her to browse and purchase.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated!:)

Thanks

Good morning,

Walking around Key West can be hard for anyone with a walking disability even though we are only a 2X4 island and grew up walking everywhere - since we were 150 miles from the mainland, news and cars drifted down very slow to the "rock" - my family settled in Key West in 1825 and the rest is history. The best way to tour Key West on your own are the electric cars - you can get off the tourist routes and really enjoy the beauty of it all althought Key West will be losing the hotels/motels and turned into condos - not too far away, we will not be able to go "home" and visit with old friends and family. There is a Chamber of Commerce located right at Mallory Square that can give you valuable information - I have sent out hundreds of packets to so many on information about Key West when my hubby and I go "home" and we are hoping to be able to get home within the next few weeks and if you will drop me a note at snelsonbrown@aol.com, I will be more than happy to send you some information.

Always

Shirley

It will just the two of us (Mom and Daughter) on this cruise,and since her walking is limited, I wanted have lunch with her someplace nice but inexpensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated! I would like someplace with a wide variety of choices. We will be in KW for a little under 7 hours, and we plan to do the trolley tour with a stop for lunch.

Inexpensive and Key West generally don't go hand in hand.

For a truly Key West experience, dine at Blue Heaven. Excellent food. Another unique Key West experience is BOs Fishwagon.

http://blueheavenkw.homestead.com/Blue_Heaven_Restaurant_Key_West.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/kbo_sfishwagon.html

A Key West tidbit BO's is nicknamed for Buddy Owens who is a conch that went to school with my sister - nice person but nope he doesn't give conch discount - his food is good and he learned from the old conchs that once were plentiful down there - also for the Blue Heaven which is located in the Bahama Village once had a very questionable reputation - I look back now and remember when my dad was a policeman in that area, but he was so well known and everyone were conchs that really nothing ever got out of hand.

The Blue Heaven is very famous for the chickens that are allowed to roam as you eat and if you have never done this, it is a great experience. Key West is NOT the Key West I grew up in and its really a shame for it really once was a paradise and we went on Key West time.

Thanks for letting me share

Always

Shirley

For lunch, walk up Caroline several blocks beyond Duval and either try BO's - best fish sandwhich you can get and has lots of character; the Raw Bar - low end seafood and good oyster;, or Pepe's - medium market and oldest restaurant in town.

We greatly enjoyed the lunch at Croissants de France and didn't find it exorbitantly priced. Also had a nice lunch at Conch Republic Seafood Company (though the selection was mostly seafood, as the name implies!). If you're at all interested in vegetarian food, The Cafe (a mostly vegetarian place) is fabulous, reasonably priced and with huge portions.

Archived