What does a microwave have to do with hearing aids?

joyinam

:rolleyes: Hello, you experts! Another question as we prepare for our 14 day Hawaii cruise - Infinity CC. My DH is the proud owner of new hearing aids (THANK GOD!). He needs to "dry them out" per the instructions, and uses our microwave at home to do so. On the ship, how will we be able to access a microwave? NO...I'm not going to pop popcorn, and certainly I won't be cooking! :) Truly, this is for the relationship health of our marriage after 26 years! Those of you who are married to the "hearing enhanced" know exactly what I mean, don't you? I'm hoping we can get help from our steward, or just use one somewhere? Thanks for your microwave assistance. joyinam

our audiologist provided a little Moisture Guard™ Electronic Hearing Aid Dryer http://www.justbekuz.com/dryers.htm that plugs in; however, when we travel we either take a Mini Super Dri-Aid™ dehumidifier (same web site) or a Dry Spot dehumidifier http://www.maxiaids.com/store/prodView.asp?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Froogle&idAff=15225&idproduct=5752 that has some kind of bead-like substance encased in something that looks like a powder puff. DH puts his aids in those at bed time. Works like a charm.

Thanks for this idea; don't know that we'll have time to purchase, as we leave in 3 days! I surely hope that the microwave doesn't hurt them! That is what he was told to do....and for $5000, I hope we were getting good counsel, too! Yikes! joyinam

Thanks for this idea; don't know that we'll have time to purchase, as we leave in 3 days! I surely hope that the microwave doesn't hurt them! That is what he was told to do....and for $5000, I hope we were getting good counsel, too! Yikes! joyinam

joyinam - Be Very Careful with the microwave:eek: My father was also given that advise and Fried his hearing aides:( They do have circuits in them that can get severly fried if you NUKE them....my Father was told to use those silica paks to draw the moisture out...which would be like the silica incased in a powder puff...... DO NOT USE THE MICRO WAVE:eek: unless you want to buy new hearing aides after the cruise.

Have a GREAT CRUISE:D :)

I just read this thread and called my audiologist as I am now the wearer of new hearing aids $5000+ She said putting them in a microwave will absolutely ruin them in seconds because it will "fry" the delicate electronic circuits. She told me that if i were to take another cruise to buy a very simple inexpensive kit that is nothing more than a dessicant - in a small container and just put the hearing aids in every night when i take them out. She did not give me the name of the product but said there are several on the market.:)

Use a dehumidfier!!!

I use a Siemens "stay dry" and its wonderful but I use the microwave to activate the Silica Gel Desiccant in the little pillow for about 1 min when necessary. Do Not use the microwave for the hearing aid...you will cook it.

Cheers.

OK....I'm SOOOOOOOO embarrassed!:o And, ya'll are SO nice! I told my husband about the microwave cautions on these posts, and he said "Honey, I don't put the hearing aids in the microwave, I put the dessicant? holder thingy". Thank you for being so kind when I sounded so dumb! SO....back to the original question, before I derailed my own post...."Do you know how we can access the microwave on board so that he can dry out the little packs in the microwave?" Oh my! :o

Archived