How many formal nights are on a 12 day cruise?

dianepm

I'm trying to figure out my packing list and I was wondering about the formal nights. I figure 3? I think I can get away with a nice black dress for the first and third and something different for the second. Just so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same dress all the time.

Also, any suggestions on websites for the, shall we say, full-figured woman?

It probally depends on the line and the cruise. I know my 12 day cruise will have 3 formal nights and 3 informal nights and 6 casual. If you e-mail the cruiseline though, they will tell you and you may even find the info on their site.

I would absolutely pack only two formal outfits and wear one twice. Changing out accessories would make a different look, but I even doubt anyone would even remember after so many days that you are wearing the same thing twice. I do think most 12 night cruises have 3 formal nights, they differ in the amount of semi or casual nights, check with the cruiseline for that info.

Same thing for semi-formal and casual nights. Pack for a week, take advantage of the dry cleaning/laundry services and save yourself a whole lot of headaches.

We're planning an 18 day trip in 2008, including a 13 night cruise and this is exactly what I plan to do. You don't have to sacrifice style to pack light, just pack smarter and choose the correct clothes. It sounds so boring to some of the ladies here, not being able to take 12 pair of shoes on a 7 night cruise, but after you pack light a few times a person can see how doable and easy it is. I've gotten over the days where I consider a cruise to be a fashion show and realize that no one except yourself is paying all that much attention to you. They are more worried about themselves.

Have a wonderful cruise, 12 nights sound like heaven to me right now :)

I would agree that you would probably have 3 formal nights and I would also agree to the 're wearing' of an outfit too. I am going on a 30 day cruise soon and I think we will have 5 formal nights. I definitely plan to take one long black skirt and various tops. but to be honest unless a dress is truly memorable, ie red sequin etc, most people on board do not remember if you have worn that dress before or not. Plus, if you are flying, take into account the weight situation (luggage):)

I have a simple black formal skirt and three formal tops in differant colors I am taking. I will also use the same purse and shoes for the three formal nights.

I also plan to take other neutrals with me, like a chocolate brown skirt, black slacks. an offwhite pair of slacks etc. that I can also wear differant tops with. I can always put the same skirt or slacks with a dressy top or blouse and and a more casual blouse another night-to save on packing.

Thank you for all the information! I'm also trying to pack "light". Mixing and matching makes that somewhat easier. I'm also trying hard to narrow it to 3 (ok...4) pairs of shoes. I am also not the most fashionable person in the whole world. Luckily, I'm leaving from Toronto and I'll be staying at my friend's house for a few days before I go so I can do some major clothing shopping. I live in a very remote area and we don't even have a book store, never mind half-decent clothing stores.

Anyway, now that I'm babbling.....thank you for the info.

Some cruiselines only have 2 formal nights on a 12-day. I'm going on the Emerald Princess (12 day Barcelona > Venice) and on Princess, there are only 2 formal nights!

boo hoo...i would have loved three!!!

Melissa :)

Some cruiselines only have 2 formal nights on a 12-day. I'm going on the Emerald Princess (12 day Barcelona > Venice) and on Princess, there are only 2 formal nights!

boo hoo...i would have loved three!!!

Melissa :)

My problem Melissa, is trying to figure out my packing as we will be gone 16 days total. I got the formal night thing figured out though, I have bought 3 formal tops to wear with a formal skirt black skirt to keep the packing down. I normally love to dress up for cruises but with the weight/flying restrictions I am having to think this through more.

Archived