Itinerary change with great view of volcano at night!

SweetEmi

Aloha! The NCL Wind had a medical emergency on board on our way to Fanning Island last week and so we had to turn around and come back. We ended up with 4 straight sea days and no Fanning Island but in exchange we got to cruise along the coast of Molokai and that was an awesome sight I've never experienced before and we got to see the volcano at night, which we were not originally scheduled to see. The volcano viewing was I believe the best I've seen yet of 4 times viewing it and it seemed that the ship was closer than I remember from the other times. It was AWESOME. Pele is being very active right now.

Emi

Sailing by Molokai is as breathtaking as the Na Pali coast.

Pride of Aloha is sailing by Molokai regularly starting in September, all the 10/11 day itineraries except the fanning island ones.

Glad to hear about the beautiful lava display.

So do I Kapoho!! Have a wonderful time!

As for Molokai, when I heard we would have a sea day spending 4 hours sailing past Molokai I was wondering what we would be looking at for 4 hours! We sailed past the Na Pali coast on the POAl and that was wonderful to see but I was pretty sure it was only about an hour or so.

I missed a little bit of Molokai at the beginning because it started at 6 a.m. and I wasn't quite up and around that early but it was actually very wonderful to see and Cathy Foy came on a couple of times to give us background on what we were looking at etc. I finally thought to pull out my binocs for a closer look and saw some homes, a church, and some crosses on the island near the lighthouse - also some spectacular waterfalls and the cliffs, which I believe she said are the highest sea cliffs in the world at 5000 feet (though my details may be off a little).

Emi

... I finally thought to pull out my binocs for a closer look and saw some homes, a church, and some crosses on the island near the lighthouse - also some spectacular waterfalls and the cliffs, which I believe she said are the highest sea cliffs in the world at 5000 feet (though my details may be off a little).

Emi

All we can say is WOW. Indeed they are the highest in the world. The nearest we have ever been is an IMax movie (seen in Honolulu), which was awesome. We would love to see those cliffs up close too. When the ships cannot get into Kahului, they sometimes cruise the north side of Moloka'i. Some time we will try the 10/11 PoAl, just for the cruise-by.

Sorry we were not able to get together during your Maui stop. Sounds like you had a great cruise.

Take care,

Bob (and Sandi)

Bob and Sandi - it was great and so glad we got to experience it! We also ended up in Kahului one day as part of the change and I was going to call you to see if you wanted to meet up but the day got away from us and we never even made it off the ship. Hopefully next time. *smile*

Emi

I was on that cruise also and the itinerary change was wonderful. Those waterfalls on Moloka'i were great. But the the best was the lava show at night. Never, ever expected to see that.

Archived