More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

If people wanted a all inclusive price, i think they wold be sticker shocked at what it would cost.

the pricing is done way it is just keep people from passing out

That's a very good point. Hubby and I were looking at all inclusives for this summer, and compared to cruising, they are WAY more expensive (all things considered). Especially because we'd choose a higher priced resort. We (of course) went back to cruising, where even when you are charged $3 for a bottle of water, it's still less expensive!

The above poster probably doesn't know it, but now people are gonna be smuggling babies on, just so they can bring water!!! ;)

I found the joy of all inclusive cruising - and I can tell you that I don't think at the end of the day I pay that much more than anyone else who purchase suites on Carnival pays. Last cruise I took was on SeaDream and paid about $1899 for a suite. But I got all the booze I wanted - anytime I wanted it, tips (all tips - no exception) were included, all sodas, and foo foo drinks, bottled water - anytime, anywhere, including iced down water to take on shore with you. Watersports including jet skis, waterskiing, banana boats and sail boats are included. Snorkeling is included. Some shore excursions were included. When I walked off the ship I had a bill for $74 for a massage and pedicure. So my total cruise fare ended up to be under $2000 for the week for EVERYTHING - and I didn't give a second thought to smuggling, chair hogging, tipping, how much I had to budget for drinks, excursions or water activities. And it is very possible that I actually drank my cruise fare!

Hey Dan, Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. Most of the other cruise lines are several hundred dollars more expensive than Carnival. Beside, I just read a thread that stated everyone was bringing water on board the Miracle. Don't sweat the small stuff.

So my total cruise fare ended up to be under $2000 for the week for EVERYTHING

That's awesome, especially on such a wonderful ship, in a suite!!! I wasn't aware that they were all inclusive, I think if more people compared their total cruise bill after paying for everything, vs. all inclusive cruising, they'd be suprised.

Who are you to decide what's "reasonable"?

I'm fairly capable of deciding what is reasonable TO ME, thanks. Yep, I still buy it (because I don't bring my own), and usually end up spending about $60-70 on bottled water for the week (drink alot of water!!). $70 for a weeks worth of water does seem a bit unreasonable (TO ME), but like I said, I still pay it. They should offer a quantity discount. :p

I loved RCI's policy on the Mariner, you could actually purchase duty free alcohol on board and for $10 more take it to your cabin. They sold alot of alcohol, and made a nice profit, I'm sure. Carnival should take their lead, and sell cases of water and a larger variety of popular soda's that people can't live without. They make their profit and the cruisers are happy. I think that the people who are most upset over this are the ones that drink a certain type of soda that the ship doesn't offer. They take their soda very seriously, lol.

RCI did away with that policy over a year ago. No more buying liquor on board and taking back to your cabin fee or not. They now hold it.

I think it's a great policy and about time they stopped this ridiculous act of lugging soda and water onto the ship. Soda and water is available on board and there is no reason to bring any onboard. If someone can't afford the soda's onboard then they shouldn't take the cruise. In addition if someonecan't "live" without their favorite soda for a week then they have serious issues.

Hmmm. Would you feel the same if that logic was applied to EVERYTHING you could purchase while on board? Personal items, film, batteries, OTC meds? What if they banned taking photos while on board because they have lots and lots of photographers and photo ops. After all, they are being cheated out of mega-bucks by all those pesky cheap-skates who take their own photos.

Just looking at it from a different angle.

Good morning!

Once again, I apologize for being overly harsh yesterday--a little ironic that I called the poster "dramatic". I am sorry! I soon realized I needed to take a walk rather than post on an internet board--I think I have cruise fever which makes work more stressful.

It is interesting because I had just finished reviewing a governmental contract for a client before posting. Perception is everything. That contract makes Carnival look as accomodating as the concierge service at the Bellagio.

I agree with all the others about how people abused the policy and so Carnival changed it.

If you are a believer that you want to do what you want to do on vacation, I support that. If that includes drinking Diet A&W Cream Soda, good for you! I would encourage you to book a vacation at a resort or on a cruise that serves Diet A&W Cream Soda or that provides concierge service that would provide it.

Another poster mentioned Aruba kind of as an aside. I was in Aruba in January. . . . talk about EXPENSIVE. . .I am actually excited about going on the Cruise ship and paying $4.00 for a 12 oz beer. . .beats the heck out of $6.00 for the 10 oz. beers (which is what they serve in Aruba at our resort--aren't they nice).

Lastly, I think I originally focussed on the "anti-family" stance of the poster (who has yet to return). Life really isn't fair. I have travelled as a single several times. . .there are pros and cons to everything. From a singles side a couple things to remember: singles pay as much for a cab typically as a family of four; many hotels don't charge or don't enforce their extra person policy so many singles often pay as much for a room as a family of four; if "free" breakfast is offered, the family of four often (hopefully) eats more than the single; when singles want to cruise and want their own room, they pay for it. Sometimes things benefit families and sometimes they benefit smaller groups or singles. I don't think it makes someone "anti", usually that someone is just trying to run a business.

Goincruisin, that's a good point, but I think people are having a hard time with the fact that they'll be on the ship for a whole week, in their own cabins alot of the time, etc... It's just a little bit different than going to a bar for one night and paying higher drink prices. That said, I don't bring beverages, I'm just guessing how people feel, lol.

Yeah, that's how they feel...I guess my problem with that is it's a little insane. I know this has been said before, and it sounds cold, but if you have to squabble over this stuff, you can't afford a vacation.

I know I'm getting old because I say this quite often lately :rolleyes: but even at the risk of sounding like my grandparents...back when we couldn't afford to go on vacation, we just didn't go.

What if Carnival provided cases of water in their bottle service? Wouldnt that be a great idea? Even if it cost $10 or $15 I would definately do that!

LOL, honestly, that would be great, but it ain't Sam's Club....

I found the joy of all inclusive cruising - and I can tell you that I don't think at the end of the day I pay that much more than anyone else who purchase suites on Carnival pays. Last cruise I took was on SeaDream and paid about $1899 for a suite. But I got all the booze I wanted - anytime I wanted it, tips (all tips - no exception) were included, all sodas, and foo foo drinks, bottled water - anytime, anywhere, including iced down water to take on shore with you. Watersports including jet skis, waterskiing, banana boats and sail boats are included. Snorkeling is included. Some shore excursions were included. When I walked off the ship I had a bill for $74 for a massage and pedicure. So my total cruise fare ended up to be under $2000 for the week for EVERYTHING - and I didn't give a second thought to smuggling, chair hogging, tipping, how much I had to budget for drinks, excursions or water activities. And it is very possible that I actually drank my cruise fare!

Wow that's awesome! We never really checked into SeaDream...didn't know it was all inclusive. But for the price you paid for your suite we ended up paying about the same price for just a balcony cabin on the Valor.... with our s&s bill, excursions and what not.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check them out!:)

Hmmm. Would you feel the same if that logic was applied to EVERYTHING you could purchase while on board? Personal items, film, batteries, OTC meds? What if they banned taking photos while on board because they have lots and lots of photographers and photo ops. After all, they are being cheated out of mega-bucks by all those pesky cheap-skates who take their own photos.

Yeah, and what if they wouldn't allow you to bring your own cigs...and they only sold 2 brands LOL!

Well, I say let's worry about when that actually happens. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's how they feel...I guess my problem with that is it's a little insane. I know this has been said before, and it sounds cold, but if you have to squabble over this stuff, you can't afford a vacation.

I know I'm getting old because I say this quite often lately :rolleyes: but even at the risk of sounding like my grandparents...back when we couldn't afford to go on vacation, we just didn't go.

I must be getting old too because I think the same way. There are so many costs associated with cruising beyond the price of the cruise itself. You either can afford it or you need to look elsewhere for a vacation.

I used to schlepp a six or 12-pack of my favorite diet soda onto the ship, but not anymore. I'm not so addicted that I can't live for a week or more with what's available on the ship. Saves me the hassle of going to buy it in the port city and then lugging it around until we board. I never could understand people taking entire coolers of their preferred beverages aboard. Just seemed so tacky. Well, I guess they won't be doing it anymore!

Very interesting topic, that leads to my question. I think I read that Carnival wants you to lock your checked luggage. If so, how will they remove the bottles of water?

I'm not sure they'd cut off the locks. Maybe they'll call people to the "naughty room" to open the luggage. :D

I just went on RCL's Serenade in February, they also do not allow any beverages at all. Be happy you can at least do your own laundry or ironing on Carnival. Irons are prohibbited on RCL and they do not have public laundromats. All cleaning and ironing must be done by RCL and paid for. Turned out the extral little cost was worth it tho, more time to enjoy my vacation.

I just went on RCL's Serenade in February, they also do not allow any beverages at all. Be happy you can at least do your own laundry or ironing on Carnival. Irons are prohibbited on RCL and they do not have public laundromats. All cleaning and ironing must be done by RCL and paid for. Turned out the extral little cost was worth it tho, more time to enjoy my vacation.

How TRUE!!

When we did our 14 day cruise on X, I needed laundry done and had to have them do it because they don't have a public laundry either. Now, I am a very practical woman and thought I'd be irritated to pay someone else to do my wash.

PFFFT! Man, it was nice!!!!!!:D Practicality is sometimes WAY overrated!

When we take our cruise this coming Nov which is for 15 days, I am going to be happy to pack light and have them do my wash. They do a great job and all my summer cottons come back fresh and crisply ironed. :D

Now I just need to have someone do this for me at home:p

And I am risking getting flamed here and I am getting old too, I guess, because I feel the same way about the posts on various threads that play the "then you can't afford" card. This seems to come up on so many threads.

This summer my family will be taking our third family cruise.

I have three kids in college, so I am paying for 5 adults to cruise.

Needless to say, there is not much "extra" money floating around my house.

Can I afford to take my kids on vacation?...some would say yes and some would say no.

I do know that our family vacations are an endangered species...in the future it will be very difficult to get everyone in one place at one time....well, that already is rare.

Do I smuggle booze?...no.

In the past have I brought a case water and a case of the soft drinks...didn't need to smuggle.

Can we live without them?...well, yeah.

Am I annoyed that the policy has been changed after we booked? yeah, it really doesn't seem right to change the rules after we signed up.

Am I upset about this? For me it's not worth getting upset about, but...

I recognize that for some people their specific brand of water or their special variety of drink is part of their perceived quality of life. In the past they have been allowed to bring with them these drinks that they consider to be necessary to their comfort....much like most of us would not expect a smoker to do without their favorite cigs for a week and still be comfortable. Asking some people to do without their water or soft drink for a week is akin to asking a smoker to stop smoking...for them, more like going to rehab than on vacation.

When my sign and sail card bill comes at the end of the cruise...it will have tips and maybe a few small purchases...hopefully not many. I don't even know what the charge is for a soft drink on board, but there won't be any on my bill despite the drink ban.

And it really doesn't have anything to do with what I can afford.

RCI did away with that policy over a year ago. No more buying liquor on board and taking back to your cabin fee or not. They now hold it.

And as I recall, the response on the RCI board was quite fractious, not as much as this sillyness of course. :rolleyes:

Hum.. just got back from the Conquest cruise people in front of us had a case of water bottles and (2) 12 pks of soda none of this was taken from them when boarding the ship. We did buy a soda drink card up on the lido deck as soon as we got on the ship this was 50.00 per person so we did fine with this. Free water on this deck too in the eatting area we filled our gator bag up before going on land with ice we had no problems doing this.

Conquest March 25, 2007

And I am risking getting flamed here and I am getting old too, I guess, because I feel the same way about the posts on various threads that play the "then you can't afford" card. This seems to come up on so many threads.

Maybe the difference here is that you are informed before you cruise and can be prepared to pay or not for the extras associated with cruising. Thus, you know what you can afford and won't be hit with surprises.

Only a small percentage of cruisers actually read boards like this and do some research before they set foot on the ship. First timers are in for a shock when they find out about those extras if they haven't looked beyond that initial cost! Then they show up here and start complaining. When people purchase a cruise, they are purchasing a specific type of vacation. The extras include a lot of things, basically drinks, supper clubs, excursions, spas, bingo, tipping and having attire appropriate for the locale and requirements.

I always recommend that people do their research before they ever book a cruise so they can be prepared and budget accordingly. Cruising is a better value than some other types of vacation and can be more affordable for people on many levels of income. The difference is knowing ahead of time and having a plan that works for you.

Since I have yet to take first cruise ... I really have not experienced taking it onboard; but I doubt I would have, I don't want to tote anymore than I have to and I drink a TON of diet soda a day as does my DH so I know we will be buying a soda card each and it will be worth every penny; as for water ... I will either buy and refill bottles onboard or drink tap, heck I don't care ... taking or not taking my drinks won't make or break my trip .... :D

I recognize that for some people their specific brand of water or their special variety of drink is part of their perceived quality of life.

I recognize that as well and all I have to say that people who are that rigid are in for a life of disappointment.

Life is so much better when you go with the flow. I also think (especially since this thread was originally about 'family') that teaching your kids by example to be flexible and not be disappointed over something as trivial as water brand, is setting a good example. Getting upset over water brand sets a horrid example in my opinion. Nothing worse than setting your kids up to expect to get everything they want all the time.

There are much larger and more important issues to pursue. brands of soda and water shouldn't be a top priority.

Maybe the difference here is that you are informed before you cruise and can be prepared to pay or not for the extras associated with cruising. Thus, you know what you can afford and won't be hit with surprises.

This is true enough.

I research every detail forseeable because I don't like surprises.

But, I did have a conversation with several people on a cruise who had no idea. They were under the impression that everything was included and had no idea that excursions needed to be planned ahead and paid for. A rude awakening for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that Carnival just reversed its policy. Hopefully cruisers won't abuse it. Personally, I've never seen anyone attempt to carry on large quantities of sodas or bottles of water, but there's always someone, somewhere.:)

Archived