POA 7/25 review

ptngr

Nutshell: Thanks to all the reviews from CC and other boards, we knew not to expect too much. We were, overall, pleasantly surprised. To be honest, if we had gone to the cruise never having heard and read anything, we would have been disappointed. I told my parents some of the stuff I heard about the POA before hand but not everything, and they seemed much less satisfied with the whole experience than we were. We had no real problem with the cabin/housekeeping service (only minor ones). The dining can range from great to somewhat aggravating but we didn’t find it so horrible. (knowing what to expect coupled with learning a few tips). Shows were good. We did not have to deal with any surly, lazy, or unprofessional staff the whole time we were there. I guess most of those already left! We found out on the last night that our service fee was cut in half. Now I wish I had tipped more!

Embarkation: Excellent. Only had to wait a few minutes in line. Spent more time walking to the ship than checking in. The only minus was that we weren’t given our Dailies. They weren’t waiting in our rooms. My parents got theirs when they checked in. If I hadn’t known there are supposed to be Dailies, I wouldn’t have known to track one down.

Funny story: We totally rushed through the airport and embarkation because the Dailies I got from a previous passenger (thanks, Susan) showed the muster drill being at 4pm, and the make-up muster drill being around noon the next day. I panicked because our flight is supposed to get in at 2:15 and we have a full day planed for the next day. Having to attend the make-up muster right in the middle of it would have seriously messed up our plans. Anyway, everything went pretty smoothly, our flight was close to on time though we left 45 min late. We did have to wait a while for the luggage and then again for the cab, but we got to our cabin by 3:30pm. (The cab ride really only took about 10 minutes and was $15 before tip.) It turned out that the muster was at 4:30pm and was quite disorganized that we could have cheated. Most people had their lift jackets on wrong and our station master never attempted to correct that.

The other embarkation experience: My parents, having heard that some people board as early as noon on a previous cruise, went there around noon. They were told the check-in will start at 12:30, so they waited in line (There were a lot of people then). At 12:30, they were told that the check-in would instead start at 1. (If they had known this from the beginning, they would have gone and done something for the hour instead of waiting in line the whole time.) When the check-in did start, they only opened a few booths and it took a long time. Their embarkation experience was, needless to say, quite opposite from ours.

Room: We’re in the “superior inside cabin” (147 sq.ft. vs the 121 sq.ft. of the standard inside) It was still very small but not badly organized. (Easy for us to say since we didn’t have the 3rd person and have to climb over the sofabed!) The main complaint is the lack of drawer space. There are 3 teeny drawers in the closet (looked like there’s space for 4 but the bottom drawer was missing) and the desk drawer which is already has the bible and hairdryer in it. Do bring extra hangers since only a few are provided. The closet had a lot of hanging space left over. We stored our 2 suitcases under the beds. Beds are firm as others have mentioned, but I like my bed firm so it was good for me.

The cabin was #8314, right next to the stairways. Most of the time it’s no problem. But once in a while there’d be kids running up and down the stairs and it can be a bit loud. Never loud enough to wake me up when I’m already asleep, but loud enough to keep me from going to sleep if I’m already awake.

I was surprised at the carpet in the room. It doesn’t look like something that’s only 1.5 months old. It’s by no means in bad shape or stained, or need to be replaced, just more worn than I expected since this isn’t a public room. Maybe the previous occupants liked to wear golf shoes around the cabin! Someone else mentioned the shower curtain. Yes, ours was also old and ratty with holes in it.

The empty mini-fridge was nice to have. Kind of dumb of them to put it in a cabinet with no ventilation (They work much less efficiently that way.) but the cabinet door provides yet another hanging spot! I brought an over-the-door organizer and hung it over the bathroom door. It works but does make the already narrow hallway even narrower. (You bump into it when you come into the room from outside.)

The bathroom is very small but very efficient. The six little shelves are great. The towel bars have protruding ends that work for hanging stuff. I took a few suction cup hooks and put them up above the toilet. They work great for hanging wet bathing suit. (You have to close the toilet lid to flush, so it doesn’t matter if your stuff drips on the lid, the seat will be dry anyway.) I just remember that I left those hooks there. Hope the next passengers find them useful! We also took several pieces of ropes and rigged a sort of clothesline over the shower. Later on, we rigged a similar one on the “curtain rails” in the room. (Looks like you can put curtains there to separate the bed area from the rest of the room.) The water temperature in the shower fluctuates all the time, it just changes randomly but not too fast so you can keep adjusting and not freeze or burn. The first 2 days we had some problem with the toilet flushing delay. (We’d push the button, and it would flush some time between right away and 15 minutes later!) But didn’t experience that problem again after the 2nd day.

Having read the reviews, we braced ourselves for the room not being cleaned when we arrived but was pleasantly surprised. Our room was “ready”. It was only missing a few minor things. Only a few toiletry items were there (some of the rest showed up the next day, some not until the day before last!) and we didn’t get any glasses or tray or ice buckets (I left a note the next day asking for just the glasses and they were there when we got back. We didn’t want the other stuff to take up the space), nor the coffeemaker I’ve seen mentioned by several other people.

Throughout the cruise, our room was always cleaned promptly and well. The towels are usually replaced even when we don’t put them on the floor. (They’ve got one of those “hang reuse, floor replace” signs) Negatives: The first night our bed wasn’t turned down (no biggie), and on Friday night we didn’t get our Dailies (the inserts with the buffet menu and advertising were left on the bed, but no Dailies.) On the last day, we stayed up late to pack so were going to get up at 8am. We kept getting awakened by the room stewardess! She first knocks on the door at 7 and again 7:20. We gave up on sleeping shortly after that. It was too noisy by then to sleep anyway. I was too sleepy to think of putting the “do not disturb” sign up. If you’re going to be up after 7 on the last day, put those up before going to bed! If I weren’t so annoyed with our cabin stewardess for waking me up twice the last morning, I probably would have left her some tip. Now that I’m not quite so cranky, I’m regretting not having done so.

Wake-up calls. I used it a few times. The first time the call came about 5 minutes late. I overheard other passengers saying that their wake-up call was 20 minutes late. After that, I set my calls a few minutes early (i.e., 6:58 instead of 7:00) and that seems to do the trick since they’ve been on time. My theory is that they only have one machine that dials the wake-up calls, and if 200 rooms want a 7am wake-up calls, they’re not all going to get them exactly at 7am. At any rate, use it as your backup method. Don’t count on it!

Dining:

Breakfast: We ordered room service only once. The choices are very limited. We ordered at 6:30 and got the order at 6:15. (I was out of small bills so ran to my parents’ room nearby to borrow $2 then ran after the room service guy to tip him, barefooted, in my PJ with my bed hair and face. He seemed very amused!) The rest of the time we went to the buffet. The omelet station was good but there’s usually a moderate wait and they don’t open until later. The regular buffet line is long when they first open, especially long on days that we arrive ports at 7am because only the regular buffet is opened at 6:30am (Lanai at 7am, too late for many excursions and others who want to leave the ship early). Never bothered to eat breakfast in the dining room. Figured there was no point since there was no egg benedict anyway.

Have to run to various buffet stations to get juices. The front Hukilau station juice machine is never in use for the whole cruise. The aft one usually has OJ and pineapple juice. (sometimes out of one or both) The lanai machine usually has apple and cranapple. The Lanai juice machine is available all day, including times when the buffet is closed, not sure about the aft Hukilau machine.

Lunch: The only time the sit-down restaurants are opened for lunch is on Tuesday (the half sea day). We ate at Palace then and it was very good. We ate the buffet once and the curry was pretty good. (They call it “coconut stew” but it tastes just like curry.) The rest of the time we ate in port.

Dinner: Thanks to all the comments and advice from the previous POA cruisers, we knew to temper our expectations and to eat early. Due to limited budget, we didn’t eat at the specialty restaurants at all, so it can be done! The first day we had BBQ on deck (not good but not terrible) since we were hungry and it was available early (before the 5pm stated on the schedule, restaurants open at 5:30pm). The rest of the time we ate in the dining room except once my parents ate at the buffet and said it was awful. We tried to make reservations for the main restaurants but were told only parties of more than 7 can do so.

We tried to eat when the restaurant open at 5:30pm each day. On the two days we manage to do so, the waits were from 5-10 minutes. And the meals took from 1:30 to 1:45 hours. I’d say that’s not too bad, comparable to similar land restaurants. (We usually have 3 courses each, 1 starter, 1 main, and dessert. It will take longer if you have more than 1 starter or have more people. We’re either in tables of 2 or 4.) The problem is that the service can be uneven at times (slow service during some portion, and lightning fast during others). We prefer to eat at Crossings because it’s closer to the Stardust Lounge (where the shows are).

When we don’t manage to arrive early (often, we have to shower after getting back on the ship or had late lunch and not hungry), we have one good and two bad experiences. The good: we arrived at Crossings at 7:30pm on Monday night. The first Polynesian dance show was at 7pm, so we made sure to arrive before it ends. Put in our names for a table for 2, was told 25 minutes. We were about to go walk around and come back when they called a string of parties of 2 and nobody was there. The couple that got there just before us (and were also told 25 minutes.) got in since the 5-6 couples before them weren’t there! We decided to wait just in case the same thing happened. Sure enough, we were in when the next table for 2 opened up in about 5 minutes! Again, that meal took about 1.5 hrs.

Bad 1: The 4 of us got to Crossings around 6:30. Were told 25-30 minutes, but it took 45 minutes. (We didn’t go walk around because we thought our names might be called in 5 minutes like last time.) That part actually wasn’t bad for us since we weren’t hungry yet. We were served bread, starter, and main dish pretty promptly and all finished our main dish in about an hour. Then after that we sat there waiting for the dessert menu, with some of our dishes still not cleared. After a little over half an hour of waiting we all decided that we’d better go get the dessert from the buffet while we still can (By then, it was about 8:50pm, and the buffet closes at 9pm) so we got up and left. Our poor server looked embarrassed but he was too busy running around to come over and apologized. We tried to smile to make him know we’re not mad at him but don’t know if he noticed.

Bad 2: On the last night, my husband and I got to Crossings at 6:55 and were told the wait is at least 45 min. We then went to Palace (it’s very difficult to get from one to the other, you have to walk up, across, and down again!) and were told 30-45 min, so we put our name down at Palace, went back to Crossings and took our name off, went elsewhere to enjoy ourselves for 20 minutes then came back to wait at palace. Well, we finally got in at about 8:00. (It didn’t help saying that we’re willing to share tables since the wait for larger tables were longer.) I wish they had been more accurate about the waiting time so we could have done other things instead of standing there (not sitting, all the chairs were full with so many people waiting) and wait for the last 40 minutes. Once we got in, the service was very fast (they skipped the bread and we didn’t care). We got out in 45 minutes without dessert because we wanted to make the talent show at 9pm. We ran up to the buffer, grabbed the dessert and ate it while waiting for the show to start. (Turned out there was only one contestant, a 16 year-old-girl who sang very beautifully.)

So that one wasn’t a great experience for us, but it was worse for our parents. They got to Palace at 7:35 pm, were told 45 minutes, so they went to see the first 20 minutes of the show (starts at 8) then come back down to wait. They finally got a table around 9pm. They could’ve watched the whole show if they knew! Anyway, they said after they were seated they got out in 45 minutes also, but with dessert! So it seems that the fast service partially makes up for the long wait.

The food: As others have mentioned, the menu doesn’t change much. The starters (about 10 total of appetizers, soups, and salads) don’t change at all. There are about 4-5 main dishes that are always the same, and 3 “specials” each day (A vegetarian, a “favorite”, and a “local” or something like that). There are about 3 fixed dessert, and 3 specials (chocolate, soufflé, sugar-free). I find the food quite good in general, not great, just good. The medium rare steak I ordered arrived pleasantly medium rare. The roast duck the last night was too dry for my taste. Most of the time, the dishes don’t arrive as hot as I would have liked (but I like hot food and have the same problem with most restaurant food) but nothing came close to being room temperature or lukewarm as some described. The bread is never warmed. Some of them are very good even as-is and would have been excellent if they were warm. My husband got the wrong dish once (but didn’t say anything even though it was the dish he had the day before. Guess he liked it!) and the drinks are sometimes slow to arrive. Other than that and what I’ve mentioned earlier, service in general is good, the servers pleasant and professional.

Shows: The shows were good. I didn’t find them as great as some people seem to. First the guest shows: The Polynesian Dance show was very good. It kept me engaged even though I’m not really into that kind of stuff. The magician was entertaining and seems to be a favorite. More than half the audience gave him a standing ovation. The next day when he was doing a close-up show at the Blue Hawaiian, that was quire packed, too. As for the Jean Ryan company shows, I found the cast very talented but felt the shows were starting to get repetitive after a while. The first musical medley was good. The cirque show was a little bit misleading. The first 2/3 of the shows was mostly just dancing and singing with very little acrobatic components. I was getting bored. The last 1/3 of the show was great and worth the wait. The last show was a jazz sing/dance show that I didn’t enjoy nearly as much as the other ones, mostly because it’s just the same people singing and dancing and doing similar things they already did in the other shows.

After the cirque show, Patti and a bunch of the crew came upstage and gave us a live POA commercial and patting themselves on the back. A few pax stormed off in disgust but many were supportive. We were mostly amused and hope that it helps the crew morale.

Stardust lounge doesn’t have much of a slope. I’m short so if anyone tall or with big hair sits in front of me, it’s hopeless. There were also a large number of columns that block a large area of seats. If it looks like there’s a great seat that nobody is occupying, make sure it’s not one of those.

Ship amenities: I didn’t really spend any time using the pool, shops, internet cafe so I can’t comment on those. Deck chairs (loungers actually) are new, not old or broken as some mentioned in previous cruises. They are cheap and cheesy (AL frame with plastic straps) but new, and very plentiful. There are so many of those stacked all over the decks, I don’t think there’s ever a shortage of them. (Space to put them, maybe.) Atrium was pretty, but using the staircases there was a bit annoying because people like to use them to pose for photographs. Always too tired after all those port excursions anyway so never used the fitness room either.

Misc: The first day we came on board, it struck me that there were a lot of kids. (We were on deck for the first day BBQ.) As the days go on, I didn’t see nearly as many. I guess they were doing their own things.

Excursions: I didn’t do any excursions through NCL. What we did were:

1st day in Kauai, rented car from Alamo and drove to Waimea Canyon in the morning. Wish I had taken Bonine the night before. If you’re prone to motion sickness, take something for that drive! True to its reputation, it rained on and off the whole day. We’d get to a lookout spot and see a view, and just a minute later, only whiteness. Or sometimes it’s the other way around, so if you get there and see nothing, be patient. The weather is very changeable there. Afternoon was spent snorkeling at Poipu beach. (Rented weekly snorkeling gear through Snorkel Bob’s, returned in Oahu) The snorkeling wasn’t very good there (as the guy at SB’s warned us) because the surf was up, so visibility was lousy and it was difficult to get in and out. But there were things to see. We then returned the car the same day.

2nd day in Kauai, took shuttle (Anchor Cove) to Kalapaki beach. It’s within walking distance, only about 15 min walk, but the shuttle was there and free so why not! We tried to get surfing lessons there but they were all full so we snorkeled instead. It was easy to get in and out but the best spot was where they were having the surfing lessons! We weren’t about to be hit on the head by some beginner’s board so we stayed away from that spot. So it wasn’t great snorkeling but it was free. If we had to do it again, we’d have prebooked the surfing lessons.

Hilo, rented a car and drove to the volcano. The shuttles to Hilo car rental are full, so parties of 5 or more had to wait at the pier and only the driver gets on the shuttle. We had 4 people so could have gone but the shuttle only had 2 seats left, so we had to do the back and forth trip anyway. They were also out of cars (Alamo, but probably most others too. Book in advanced if you want a car in Hilo!) The walk to the volcano was 3 mi (2 hrs) round-trip so we did that. We walked quite briskly so it was 2 hours including about 20 minutes viewing time. (Note, the drive to the end of the chains of crater road was another 40-45 min each way from the visitor center. Figure that into your driving time also!) Took Bonine in anticipation of this drive so I’m A-OK. We stopped by a few lookout points and Thurston Lava tube. (Found the tube very crowded with tour buses and not that interesting. Would skip that.) By the time we got to the volcano and back, it was getting pretty late. We were given 2 extra hours in Hilo (Ship leaves at 7pm, on board time 6:30pm instead of 5/4:30 from the printed itinerary) but the shuttle guy said we should try to get the car back by 5pm anyway. We got back before 4:30pm and had to wait quite a while for the shuttle to get back on the ship. The line to get back on the ship was very, very long. When we got back to the ship, it was just after 5:30pm, I ran right to Crossings and get in line, while everyone else ran to their cabins and changed/freshened up, etc then joined me. We got in pretty soon after everyone got there. (We only had snacks for lunch so that wasn’t a moment too soon!)

Kona, we didn’t rent a car there. My parents took the Alii shuttle to Kahaluu bay and snorkeled there. They loved it. We slept in and just snorkeled in Kailua Bay right where the tender docks. It was a surprisingly good snorkeling for such a convenient location. The ship’s snuba excursion also dives there, as well as the glass bottomed boats. The water was much clearer than both the Kauai spots we went to, and the corals much more colorful. I thought it was great. One guy who took the tender back with us said he spotted a sea turtle on his snuba dive. We came back to eat lunch on the ship (only buffet opened, no lines) then went out to walk around in Kona. The pier area was too touristy for my taste so didn’t stay there long. We were also given an extra hour in Kona. Boarding time was 5:30 instead of 4:30.

Kahului, Maui, 1st day. We rented a car (again from Alamo) and drove to the Maui Ocean Center and meet with my sister and her husband who weren’t on the cruise. The MOC is good. The audio tour is well worth it (only $2/person more, or $5 for group of up to 6 people) but makes you a little anti-social. It makes it more difficult to point things out to others and discuss it since one of you are almost always listening to something or other! There is a 10% AAA discount for this. Afterwards, we ate lunch at a nearby grill (good) and my husband and I split to windsurf. We didn’t attend a luau but ate dinner out anyway since guests weren’t allowed on board.

Kahului, Maui, 2nd day. We drove up Haleakala but not for the sunrise. (Again, Bonine time) the clouds rolled in just as we reached the summit. Oh well. We hiked a short distance down the crater and found it a rewarding, interesting hike. Many people were on horses, which made large plumes of dust so we have to walk very slowly far behind them. That part wasn’t so nice (for us, probably nice for the people riding!) We didn’t have enough time to hike to the first vent because we were going on a Molokini snorkeling trip in the afternoon. We returned our rental car and all packed into my sister’s rental car then go to Maalaea Harbor for the trip. We booked a trip through the Pride of Maui. The lady who we booked with assured us that the boat ALWAYS get back to the dock between 4pm and 4:30pm. Never late. (Our ship boarding time is 5:30pm, that’s why we returned the car first, so my sister and her husband can just drop us off at the pier after the trip.) Well, it turned out that we got back at 5:10pm and back to the harbor exactly at 5:30pm. That was MUCH too close for comfort. The thing that got us really mad was that apparently they were INTENTIONALLY late. They have 3 cruises during the day. The morning one, ours that’s supposed to be from 1:30-4:30, and a sunset cruise that leaves at 5:30. The loading/unloading dock has a 30 minutes time limit. So if they come in on time at 4:30 and unload us, they’d have to pull out into a slip and wait then come back just before 5:30 to load the sunset cruise passengers. They were too lazy to do that (my dad overheard the captain say it on the radio to other boats!) so when they come back to the harbor, they let all the other boats go in first so they get in late enough to load the 5:30 passengers right after they unload us. This even when we told them we were under a time constraint! So I would recommend strongly against booking with this company if you’re under any kind of time constraint. And even if you’re not, they don’t seem the most efficient out there. We were the first boat to get to Molokini, but it took the crew 25 minutes to find the anchor points, we started snorkeling after some other boats that got there 15 minutes behind us. We had less than an hour’s worth of snorkeling done before we had to get back on the boat. Then it took them yet another 25 to pull up the anchor before we could start leaving for the harbor. (Behind those other boats that got there after us, of course!) As for Molokini, it was pretty nice. I was told that afternoon trips rarely get to Molokini because of the rough conditions, so I guess we were lucky in that regard. The water was very clear and there were so much to see. I spotted a white tipped reef shark, a spotted eel and an octopus. If it weren’t for the liars that operate the boat, it would have been a great trip. I’d just book with a different company next time.

Oahu post cruise. 1st day. We were picked up by my sister and her husband who’d flown into HNL the same morning we arrived and rented a minivan. We left our luggage at the hotel and went to Dole plantation despite my warning that it’s considered really lame (by others in the CC board). Well, the place turned out to be even lamer than I even imagined! It was full of tourists and the pineapple express train ride was disorganized (The lines were not clearly marked so some people who got there early may not have gotten on the train while people who arrived late did, etc.), and uninformative (the information given on the ride was word-for-word taken from the brochure we were given.), and there weren’t much to see. They even filled the time with really lame jingles when they stopped reading from the brochure! After that lameness (I resisted the urged to say “I told you so”), we went and drove around the north coast of Oahu. Had lunch, then drove all the way around the east side back to the hotel. Stopping by several beaches and did some sightseeing. Pali Lookout was very windy! The blowhole was kinda cool but the best part was when it has a big blow and everyone goes “ooooooooh” and “aaaaaah”. We went to the diamondhead parking lot but it was closed by the time we got there. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel and walked out to dinner.

Oahu post cruise 2nd day. Half of our party has already seen the Arizona memorial so we instead opted for the Missouri. The entertainment book coupon has 50% off for up to 4 people. The AAA discount was supposed to be 2-for-1 but there’s a sign saying that it’s a misprint. The actual discount is only 10%. The guided tour is well worth it since you get to go to areas not open to the general admissions as well as the fun stories. After that we went to lunch, and a few of us snorkeled electric beach (Kehe point) and thought it was pretty good. (My husband’s evaluation is that it’s about as good as Kailua Bay in Kona.) Dinner that night was at a seafood restaurant called Orchids in Waikiki which was very good.

Thank you so much!!!

This review should set an example for reviews! I cannot tell you how informative the information you provided is. Often, people will get caught up in thier own opinions to the point of providing little or no information. Your review will go a long way in making our vacation and the vacation of many others easier.

Thanks again.

All the best

I add my thanks for the great detail and tips. I had not thought of suction cup hangers for the bathroom - great idea! I absolutely agree that having these reviews from previous cruisers will really help make our trip more enjoyable. For example, from the many who said their lugguge was late getting to the room, we now know to pack our clothes for the first night in the carry on. Normally, not a big deal, but our first night is my 40th birthday, and I plan to dress up for our celebration; so thank you all for saving us from that emotional distress.

PNTGR: some questions...

* Did you notice if the ship let anyone carry on cans of soda? We'll need to bring our own Pepsi since this is a Coke-only ship. Also, do remember if they have serve microbrews onboard (something other than the standard coors, bud, michelob; perhaps Kona Brewing Co. or Alaskan Amber)?

* Can you recommend any particular servers in the dining rooms? Sounds like you had some pretty decent ones.

* About how long did it take to re-board the ship (you mentioned long lines to get back on)?

* Did you notice any good 'hideaways' on the ship to read; have a quiet drink, etc? I ask because on my last cruise (Radience of the Seas) there were some wonderful little areas with cushy chairs that seemed to always be quiet and peaceful.

*About what time were you cruising past Na Pali Coast? The Volcano? Where on the ship would you recommend viewing those sights from?

* Did the Bonine make you tired or woozy at all? I too am prone to motion sickness.

* Any other tips or tricks you found useful on the ship (help avoid lines or crowds or getting from one place to the other)?

Again, thank you so much for your information. I"m so glad you had a good time.

Take care - Laura

One thing that really caught my attention was you advised that on Hilo you were given till 7:00 for sail away. Is that the standard now instead of the 6:00 sail away, and is now 7:00pm, and the last tender back to the ship is now 6:30 pm not 7:00pm???

lbryant:

I am "prone" to motion sickness as well (I still get car sick), and bonine does not work at all for me; best case it knocks me out cold. I use a prescription patch...it's called Transdermscope. It's like a little circe band-aid and you put it right behind and below your ear. It works GREAT and does not make me tired at all. You can even put it on after you get motion sick and it will fix you up quick. I do have sensitive skin, though, and last time I used it it made a red itchy circle under the patch. Totally worth it, though! I wouldn't be able to cruise without it.

Thank you everybody for the kind comments.

Laura,

I absolutely agree that having these reviews from previous cruisers will really help make our trip more enjoyable.

I'm normally the lurker type, but this time, the things we learned from past CC cruisers absolutely made a difference for us and I felt I really need to give something back.

* Did you notice if the ship let anyone carry on cans of soda? We'll need to bring our own Pepsi since this is a Coke-only ship.

Absolutely yes on soda. They don't care about those. We brought a bare 6-pack on board at some point.

Also, do remember if they have serve microbrews onboard (something other than the standard coors, bud, michelob; perhaps Kona Brewing Co. or Alaskan Amber)?

Sorry can't help you with that one since we're not drinkers. The staff are pretty good at clearing tables so we don't see lots and lots of bottles lying around either. I'm recalling some corona bottles but that's about it.

* Can you recommend any particular servers in the dining rooms? Sounds like you had some pretty decent ones.

The one that got us out in 45 min (minus bread and dessert) was Kate Jones in Palace. Another good one is Eric (?) from Portland in Crossings. He does come back and tell us when there are going to be delays (even when they're not that late) and we like that. I don't know how useful it is to know who the good servers are though. Personally, I would never dream of asking for a particular server when the dining room is so overburdened. I'll take any table they give me. Besides, we only had one negative experience inside the dining room and it was from the same team that gave us decent service the day before.

* About how long did it take to re-board the ship (you mentioned long lines to get back on)?

Takes anywhere from 3 to 25 minutes. Timing is everything. If you are back just after 2-3 excursion buses, you'll wait a long time. In general I notice that about 1 hr before the boarding deadline is the busiest time. But I wouldn't recommend cutting it close just to avoid the lines!!

* Did you notice any good 'hideaways' on the ship to read; have a quiet drink, etc? I ask because on my last cruise (Radience of the Seas) there were some wonderful little areas with cushy chairs that seemed to always be quiet and peaceful.

Frankly we never looked for one. Noticed that most lounges that are out of the way (outrigger in particular, and plantation) are almost always empty unless there is a function there.

*About what time were you cruising past Na Pali Coast?

3:45-4:30 (approx) tuesday afternoon. We were in the port aft buffet area since there were chairs (and tables if you want to put down your drinks, and juice machine right nearby for constant refilling) and no glass to block our view (unlike the pool area). We didn't go to the front because at first it was windy. But then we turned and sailed right into the sun so the forward areas would be in full sun. Others may be able to tell you how good their spot was.

The Volcano?

10:30-11 wednesday night. We were so tired from lots of hiking all day (btw, it drizzled on and off all day when we were in Hilo, which WAS a good thing because it really helped cool us down during the hike to the lava!) so we wanted to sit. My parents found a great spot on 12 starboard towards the stern. It was the narrow walkway between the stern and the golf driving area. There are normally no chairs but there are some on the stern so we moved them there. People can still walk behind us, but it got crowded later when there are people standing behind us, and some other people trying to talk behind them. This is the time having a starboard balcony wuld really pay off. You can take a nap, set the alarm for 10:25, get out and watch in your jammies without having to fight people for a good viewing spot.

* Did the Bonine make you tired or woozy at all? I too am prone to motion sickness.

It didn't have any negative effect on me. But it's different for everyone. Wouldn't hurt to try it first when you're at home, I guess.

* Any other tips or tricks you found useful on the ship (help avoid lines or crowds or getting from one place to the other)?

Hmm. Can't think of any right now. Oh for the show. The first 3 get there more than 15min early, more than that for good seats. The last 2 are much less of a problem. We only did the "dessert at stardust" thing once and this other passenger glared at us then when we're finished, rudely yanked our tray and gave it to the staff. Maybe she was hungry! We only saw one other group having dessert there. I wouldn't recommend eating DURING the show since it's very dark, but eating while waiting for the show would work.

When we came back from the Maui snorkeling trip, the boat that unloaded before us was Prince Kuhio. Turned out it was the one the ship used for its excursions. We caught up with one of the "Prince Kuhio" buses in Kahului, that was when we knew we were safe. (Figured it must be going to the ship since there were no major hotels in Kahului and people wouldn't be going to airport right after a snorkeling trip.) That was a big "phew!" moment.

The security guys at every port check every single bags you carry on board. Some (most?) of them open every single zipper compartments on your bag! So you might want to consider bringing fewer things off the ship and using simpler bags. If you have bag inside bag inside bag, they usually open them all, too! The only time this isn't done is in Honolulu where they put up the x-ray machines.

ERNLYN, I don't know whether the move to 7pm sailaway in Hilo and 6pm in Kona is permanant. I would guess that it depends on weather conditions. The standard "everybody on board" time for every port is 30 minutes before sailaway. The only tender port is Kona and last tender leaves at 5:30pm for a scheduled (later in reality) 6pm sailaway. They use 4 tenders for the morning and afternoon portions and were quite efficient.

Thanks again for the great review! As others have said, yours is the kind of review that helps us plan around POA's growing pains, and doesn't stress us out!

Can you please let me know if you can provide any information on the following:

First, regarding the shuttle to Anchor Cove Shopping Center in Kauai. Do you know how often (and how late) it ran, and/or did you have to wait any measureable amount of time for it? Did you also notice if the Marriott Hotel at Kalapaki Beach was close to the shuttle drop off location?

Second, in Kona, did you notice if Bubba Gump's was near the pier?

Third, how long was the drive (time-wise) between Maalaea Harbor and the pier at Nawiliwili (once you got on the bus)?

And lastly, I know you had said that relatives picked you up at the pier at debarkation, but did you notice any of the documented "chaos" with NCL excursions during your debarkation (we'd like to do the Pearl Harbor tour through the cruise line, because they'll hold our bags on the bus, and drop us at the airport. Our flight leaves at 5:30PM)

Thanks again for all of the helpful tips!

bankofdad,

First, regarding the shuttle to Anchor Cove Shopping Center in Kauai. Do you know how often (and how late) it ran, and/or did you have to wait any measureable amount of time for it? Did you also notice if the Marriott Hotel at Kalapaki Beach was close to the shuttle drop off location?

I believe the shopping shuttles ran continuously but I'm sure they stop at night and restart in the morning. My best guess is that the time probabaly closely corresponds to the shops/restaurants opening/closing times since they're the ones sponsoring the shuttle. The shuttle driver will give you that info. On the way back (about 11:30am on Tuesday), we did have to wait a while, but only because there were so many people wanting to get back to the ship and the shuttle was full. The round trip only takes about 15 minutes (with loading and unloading) though so even if you miss one it wasn't THAT long a wait. Easier than walking. I think the Marriott Hotel fronts the beach. It's not right at the shuttle location. Maybe about another 5 min walk.

Second, in Kona, did you notice if Bubba Gump's was near the pier?

Sorry, didn't notice that. I've only heard of Bubba Gump's in Lahaina.

Third, how long was the drive (time-wise) between Maalaea Harbor and the pier at Nawiliwili (once you got on the bus)?

I'm assuming you meant Kalapaki vs Nawiliwili (Kauai)? 5 minutes shuttle drive. If you mean Maalaea Harbor vs Kahului (Maui) then it's 20-25 minutes drive in the car.

And lastly, I know you had said that relatives picked you up at the pier at debarkation, but did you notice any of the documented "chaos" with NCL excursions during your debarkation (we'd like to do the Pearl Harbor tour through the cruise line, because they'll hold our bags on the bus, and drop us at the airport. Our flight leaves at 5:30PM)

There are all these tour lines and, yes, some general chaos. We debarked around 9:40am and it wasn't that bad then. I'm sure it was worse earlier in the morning though.

More things I just thought of:

- Rented our cars through Alamo, using 6T code. Midsize was 26.66+tax in all ports we rented, which were Kauai, Hilo, and Kahului. Didn't have to call for any shuttles. In Kauai, the Alamo van was right there and we just jumped in. In Hilo, there are people with clipboards and our name was on it even though we didn't say anything about the ship when we booked. They only allowed people with reservation to get on the shuttle (and only small groups, otherwise driver only). In Maui, we just missed the Alamo shuttle but asked the National guy whether we can get on their shuttle and he said no problem. (They are sister companies)

- If you're considering renting convertibles. It rains a lot in Kauai and Hilo in general (including when we were there), so those are not necessarily the best place for them. In Oahu there are a lot of break-in problems so that might not be great either (It also rained a lot when we were there.). I'd say Maui or Kona would give you the best bang for your bucks.

- There are helicopters everywhere we look at Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast in Kauai. Fewer but still numerous at the Volcano Nat'l Park.

- There were lots of Downhill bike groups on Haleakala. They will pull off when you're stuck behind them but you should still leave extra time for descending. We even went past an accident scene. (After the accident, before the ambulance got there. Don't know how serious.)

- On monday night, we drove by Aloha Tower and was shocked to see the POA there! Very confused since she was supposed to be overnighting in Kauai by then. We thought maybe the 50% service fee reduction got triggered down to the crew and they all walked off or something but there was nothing about it in the newspaper. It was not until I came back to CC and found out that this week and next week cruise is chartered with modified itinerary which overnights in Honolulu. Phew!

I notice in Kauai you said there was a Shuttle to Kalapaki Beach. Do you happen to remember how often it runs? On the Monday we are in Kauai (11/1/04) we are having a vow renewal ceremony at the kalapaki Beach near the Marriot and I had not figured out how we were going ot get over there yet! Walking is a option but my Mom is in a wheel chair.

Edit: Oops I just noticed you kinda answered the question already. I am still up in the air on how we are going to get over there. I have to be on kalapaki Beach at 4:15 and we will be out there till 6:30pm or so. Might just take a taxi. Are there Taxi's waiting there at the dock?

If things have not improved since 7/18, I would do my own Pearl Harbor visit. I think someone mentioned there is a bag check at the pier where you can leave your bags for the day for less than $ per bag. The problem with the ships shore excursions on our cruise was that everything was leaving late. Pearl Harbor tours were leaving around 9:00-9:30. If you can get off faster on your own you will get there earlier. You really need to be to PH early to get a favorable time slot. We went before the cruise, and left our hotel at 6:45 and got there by 7:15 and were on the 7th launch.

Patty

I have to give a 100% yes to margu about Pearl Harbor: You have got to get their early and I have heard many people who booked Pearl through the ship say they didn't get to go out to the Memorial because they got there so late and all the launch tickets are gone.

Just because you are on a tour, does not guarantee that you will get a launch ticket out to the Memorial. Those are free but handed out on a first come, first serve basis by the Park Service and tour operators cannot get you tickets ahead of time. In fact, you cannot pick up tickets for others. They hand each person through the line one ticket and that is all!

On weekends it is not unusual for Peral Harbor to run out of launch tickets by 11:00 a.m.. Like Margu said: she got there at 7:15 and the line was already long enough to hand out tickets to trip #7. (trips run every 15 minutes begining at 8:00 a.m.) They don't even start handing out those tickets until 7:30. If you get there too late, your launch ticket won't be until late afternoon and if you have a flight, you may not get to go out to the Memorial. I say rent a car or book a private tour and get disembarkation tickets that will get you off the ship in the first group at 8:00 a.m.! (even then you will be pushing it at Pearl)

Wanted to add some of my favorite servers: In Crossings, Geraldine and I don't remember her back waiter, was the best we had and she was excellent. In the Palace, Sandra and Mary (front and back) & Christian and Gerald were tops. (the waiters work in pairs: a front waiter who takes your order and generally serves you your courses and your back waiter who takes care of drinks, rolls, clearing and goes to the kitchen.)

Archived