Seasickness Meds In New Zealand

I asked at the chemist today as DW is starting to get paranoid after a rough Cook Strait crossing we had a while back.

Sealegs was about all they could offer. I have never had much luck with them.

BUT

google search "Paihia Bomb". I had these on a fishing trip in the Bay of Islands. The locals raved about them. They were made by Paihia Pharmacy and THEY WORK!! not even the diesel fumes got to me.

My 2 cents. go and see the doctor and get prescription meds if you know you are going to suffer from seasickness.

:)

google search "Paihia Bomb". I had these on a fishing trip in the Bay of Islands. The locals raved about them. They were made by Paihia Pharmacy and THEY WORK!! not even the diesel fumes got to me.

:)

Oh my goodness, my DH got a Paihia bomb from the chemist in Paihia before we went on the hole in the rock trip. He swears by it.

Never thought it would show up on here. :)

A quote from another forum

Capt_Asparagus

Here in NZ, there is only the one really reliable seasick remedy, and that is the Paihia Bombers.

These are only available from the Paihia Pharmacy (in the bay of Islands) their ph is 09-402-7034 fax -7342.

They are a 2 pill system, one is an anti-histamine based pill, the other is a caffiene derivative. The combined result is you do not get seasick AT ALL, and also do not get drowsy.

They are really well known over here among regular sea users. They have been off the market for months, due to the govt suddenly deciding that they need to go thru a new certification system, leaving NZ feeling queezy on the sea, but HOORAY they are back on the market again now, I just got my pills today! yaaaayyy!!

They are NZ$2.50 a dose, max of 20 doses per person. They last for about 24hrs each dose.

Side effects? They make the back of your throat dry, due to the antihistamine, and they ride a lot better I have found if you have something in your belly, but then, I am sensitive to caffiene, even coffee on an MT stomach makes me feel bluuurrgh.

But man, when you are out in the weather we get here, it is DAMN good to know you will be happi-de-doo-dah all day with the Paihia bombers!

Oh, and yes,i think they do send these pills around the world, they get yachties all over the pacific calling for them, i know that anyhow!

Cheers, Stu.

Stu makes a good salesman

just rung the pharmacy and yup they still make them and they will send them anywhere in the country

Thanks guys. I have contacted the Paihia Pharmacy and am getting some sent down to me in Auckland. He said u can buy either a pack of 5 or 10. I have never been sea sick but dont wanna b so thought I would take something. Asian fishermen swear by them also:)

Archived