New York Morning Activity suggestion

Miss Jolly

In August, my family of 4 (2 young teenagers) will be flying from Sydney, Australia into New York very late on Friday night. We would have probably spent about 27 hours or so travelling between our home and hotel by then so a late arrival and straight to bed sounds appropriate. We have pre-booked tickets for the Yankees hoime game on Saturday (1:05pm) and then broadway tickets for the evening. (All sitting down activites to help with jet lag:D ). I had planned a leisurely start to the day to help recover from jetlag ... but JUST IN CASE we feel fine and up to a morning activity/sightseeing, :rolleyes: what do you suggest? We are staying at Milford Plaza Hotel in the Theatre District so it would probably be best to try a nearby place. Thanks,

Jennie.

P.S Just had an idea....we have not yet worked out HOW to get between Yankee Stadium and our hotel. Should we make our way to Grand Central Station, have a look around there and then catch the train to the stadium? Please don't laugh if this is totally the wrong direction. We had just planned on asking at the hotel for directions to yankee Stadium.

In August, my family of 4 (2 young teenagers) will be flying from Sydney, Australia into New York very late on Friday night. We would have probably spent about 27 hours or so travelling between our home and hotel by then so a late arrival and straight to bed sounds appropriate. We have pre-booked tickets for the Yankees hoime game on Saturday (1:05pm) and then broadway tickets for the evening. (All sitting down activites to help with jet lag:D ). I had planned a leisurely start to the day to help recover from jetlag ... but JUST IN CASE we feel fine and up to a morning activity/sightseeing, :rolleyes: what do you suggest? We are staying at Milford Plaza Hotel in the Theatre District so it would probably be best to try a nearby place. Thanks,

Jennie.

P.S Just had an idea....we have not yet worked out HOW to get between Yankee Stadium and our hotel. Should we make our way to Grand Central Station, have a look around there and then catch the train to the stadium? Please don't laugh if this is totally the wrong direction. We had just planned on asking at the hotel for directions to yankee Stadium.

I was just in the city in Feb. and saw Wicked on Broadway, a phenominal show! As for your plans, that sounds like an awfully busy day to squeeze anything else in. You'll probably want to get to game at a decent hour and I'm not sure how long it will take you from your hotel. I'd suggest you find that out when you get there so you can calculate what time you would have to leave.

Being in the theatre district, the Broadway area, you'll be close enough to walk to Rockefeller center, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square. Radio City has some tours available but I'm not sure of the times and such. Your hotel concierge desk would have info and they may have a tour Sat. morning. It's a backstage tour. If you get up early enough you can get a map from your hotel and possibly just meander around a bit, get some breakfast, take some photo's etc. I believe you'll be closer to these than you will Grand Central Station.

Ask your hotel and you can possibly take the subway to the stadium. I'm not sure on that. You'll be able to take the subway to Grand Central Station if you want to see it. Or you could walk there from the Broadway area, isn't that far. If not the subway, cabs are easy to come by to get to the stadium.

Have fun!:)

I was just in the city in Feb. and saw Wicked on Broadway, a phenominal show! As for your plans, that sounds like an awfully busy day to squeeze anything else in. You'll probably want to get to game at a decent hour and I'm not sure how long it will take you from your hotel. I'd suggest you find that out when you get there so you can calculate what time you would have to leave.

Being in the theatre district, the Broadway area, you'll be close enough to walk to Rockefeller center, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square. Radio City has some tours available but I'm not sure of the times and such. Your hotel concierge desk would have info and they may have a tour Sat. morning. It's a backstage tour. If you get up early enough you can get a map from your hotel and possibly just meander around a bit, get some breakfast, take some photo's etc. I believe you'll be closer to these than you will Grand Central Station.

Ask your hotel and you can possibly take the subway to the stadium. I'm not sure on that. You'll be able to take the subway to Grand Central Station if you want to see it. Or you could walk there from the Broadway area, isn't that far. If not the subway, cabs are easy to come by to get to the stadium.

Have fun!:)

Thank you. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Wicked so much as that is the show we have tickets fo.

Jennie

I would say you should grab a leisurley breakfast.

Grand Central Station is a GREAT place to explore. I see nothing funny about that. You can get food there too, there are places to shop, they have great architecture, it's an all around great place that most New Yorker's never spend the time to enjoy.

The Best way is to take the subway. Traffic has been terrible around yankee stadium as they have closed a number of garages where they will be rebuilding the stadium. You take the subway which runs every few minutes. Get a subway map or go to http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htmfor directions. It is the easiest and fastest way. A cab could take a long time and be expensive because the traffic around the games gets terrible. Take the A train north Bound from 42 and 8th avenue change to the D or B at 125 th street(its accross the track) and get off at yankee stadium 161 st with everyone esle. Time - less than an 1/2 hour.

Here is a link to yankee stadium directions, and within that link is a ny subway map too!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/directions_parking.jsp

We are big yankee fans and just got rained out of a game Wednesday.

I would take it easy that morning, have breakfast, and get to the game early, you might catch batting practice. I would plan on catching the subway around 11am. Yankee stadium is a great experience, enjoy! (buy your souveniers outside the stadium from the vendors, I think its cheaper)

You could easily walk to Grand central station from your hotel.

Well, I know exactly where your hotel is, but its a bit of a hike to Grand Central unless you like walking. Plus...its August...its either going to be really hot & humid here or just plain hot. It's our summertime. Be prepared for a afternoon Thunderstorm - humidity always brings one on.

Bring sunblock if you're seats at Yankee stadium are not underneath an overhang or if you are out in the field seats in direct sun plus a hat & sunglasses. You are going to bake & burn in the sun. The game starts at the hottest point in the day. Get to the stadium early if you can.

Grand Central take the #4 subway I believe. Drops you off right in front of the stadium. Be prepared for literally body to body on the Subway depending on what time you leave for the game. Also bring tons of $$. It's expensive at the stadium for drinks & stuff. We're talking like $7 or something for a soda. I know the prices go up each time we dump millions on a new player. But it's well worth it! Bring your camera!!

Keep any $$ in your front pocket. There's always pickpockets around. Leave the jewerely at the hotel. A necklace can easily be ripped off. It's not dangerous, but always be wary. It's NY - anything can happen. I grew up there, so I know.

As for the Subway, stay away from the tracks. We do have loose screws in the city & people have been pushed off in front of an oncoming train by some degenerate. So stay back behind the crowds.

Have a great time!! The city is great in the summer! Grand Central Park should not be overlooked either. But don't go in there at night.

I would just plan to walk to Grand Central where you should take the #4 Subway to Yankee Stadium. The walk itself will be plenty of entertainment. I would just walk south (Downtown) the 2 blocks to 42nd Street, then East on 42nd to Grand Central. You can definitely venture into Times Square, and spend some time at Grand Central. Be sure to peer into the Chrysler Building at the corner of 42nd and Lexington. It's the greatest Art Deco Skyscraper ever built.

I don't know whether you are going to the baseball game because you are a Yankees fan or just wanted to see a game, but as much as I hate the Yankees, they do have a great history and what is called Monument Park out in left center field is worth visiting before the game. You have to get there early though. Perhaps there is information on the Yankee's website about what time it closes. My guess is at least an hour before gametime.

Well, I know exactly where your hotel is, but its a bit of a hike to Grand Central unless you like walking. Plus...its August...its either going to be really hot & humid here or just plain hot. It's our summertime. Be prepared for a afternoon Thunderstorm - humidity always brings one on.

Bring sunblock if you're seats at Yankee stadium are not underneath an overhang or if you are out in the field seats in direct sun plus a hat & sunglasses. You are going to bake & burn in the sun. The game starts at the hottest point in the day. Get to the stadium early if you can.

Grand Central take the #4 subway I believe. Drops you off right in front of the stadium. Be prepared for literally body to body on the Subway depending on what time you leave for the game. Also bring tons of $$. It's expensive at the stadium for drinks & stuff. We're talking like $7 or something for a soda. I know the prices go up each time we dump millions on a new player. But it's well worth it! Bring your camera!!

Keep any $$ in your front pocket. There's always pickpockets around. Leave the jewerely at the hotel. A necklace can easily be ripped off. It's not dangerous, but always be wary. It's NY - anything can happen. I grew up there, so I know.

As for the Subway, stay away from the tracks. We do have loose screws in the city & people have been pushed off in front of an oncoming train by some degenerate. So stay back behind the crowds.

Have a great time!! The city is great in the summer! Grand Central Park should not be overlooked either. But don't go in there at night.

There are rarely pickpockets at yankee staduim too many police. The police have pictures of all the "known" pickpockets and they stay away like a plague.

NY is not a big pick pocket city anyway.

The subways are actually safer than above ground and safer than the cabs. less accidents and less hassle. Yes there have been incidents on the subway...rare and far between but everyone should stand back when the train enters.

Yes stuff is expensive at Yankee staduim pretty much as it is at most stadiums(you can bring in your own sandwich from outside but not drinks).

I tend to get a sandwich at a local bodega/deli and bring it in. Most make good and inexpensive sandwiches. You can bring in your own peanuts and potato chips as well.

The beer is deliberately expensive to try to cut down on the drinking...its expensive to spill a glass on someone....

but you should always know what around you. The Milford Plaza hotel is at 44th street and eight avenue, The A Train is right there that is why I gave those directions. Grand central is great with good places to eat BUT the subway is really not easy to find there and grand central that has a number of different lines besides the communter trains is quite confusing

Take SMEYER418's advice to heart. I live 30 minutes from Times Square and spend alot of time in the 'City', and I have always found his/her advice to be right on the money!

Thamks everyone for the great advice. Only problem is, it's making me too excited - I can't wait. I watched Sleepless in Seattle with my daughter yesterday after booking our tickets for The Empire State Building. LOL. I'll have to watch a baseball film today.What time do you think we should get to the stadium for the 1:05pm game start and then what time should we leave the hotel in order to achieve this. I'm not looking forward to the crowds but I guess it will be worth it.

Jennie

Thamks everyone for the great advice. Only problem is, it's making me too excited - I can't wait. I watched Sleepless in Seattle with my daughter yesterday after booking our tickets for The Empire State Building. LOL. I'll have to watch a baseball film today.What time do you think we should get to the stadium for the 1:05pm game start and then what time should we leave the hotel in order to achieve this. I'm not looking forward to the crowds but I guess it will be worth it.

Jennie

If you want to go to Monunment park be there by 11. I would leave after breakfast some place around 10:15....if you are going by subway. The crowds won't get there until later. Coming back will be crowded but fun....

They will have batting practice(you can normally go down by the field early and by the dugouts and sometimes get an autograph)....good chance of catching a souvenir ball during early batting practice...tell the usher you are from Australia and its your first game....

You CAN bring your own food AND drink into the stadium I do it weekly! and the subway stops right at the stadium! Go Yankees!!!!

Depending on the day and the guards- they will look and make you take out cans and glass...they don't want them thorwn on field. If you are getting them either they know you and let you or not looking like they are supposed to. But I think we agree subway is the way to go... your own sandwiches are much cheaper. I think the hot dogs are lame too.

Depending on the day and the guards- they will look and make you take out cans and glass...they don't want them thorwn on field. If you are getting them either they know you and let you or not looking like they are supposed to. But I think we agree subway is the way to go... your own sandwiches are much cheaper. I think the hot dogs are lame too.

Sorry - do you mean take the subway to the stadium or buy food from the company "Subway" or both????If so, where is the subway store that you recommend us using. (I feel like an alien asking these questions)

Jennie

If you want to go to Monunment park be there by 11. I would leave after breakfast some place around 10:15....if you are going by subway. The crowds won't get there until later. Coming back will be crowded but fun....

They will have batting practice(you can normally go down by the field early and by the dugouts and sometimes get an autograph)....good chance of catching a souvenir ball during early batting practice...tell the usher you are from Australia and its your first game....

Thanks for the hints. That sounds like the best thing to do. I don't want to turn the family off the game by having them crushed in the crowds on the way. It would also be great to come home with a souvenir ball from batting practice.

Jennie

Sorry - do you mean take the subway to the stadium or buy food from the company "Subway" or both????If so, where is the subway store that you recommend us using. (I feel like an alien asking these questions)

Jennie

LOL the underground rail way is the subway( as in subterranean way)....The food is any corner deli(there are some ok ones on eighth avenue by the hotel)...they say deli on them and make inexpensive sandwiches(under $5.00) as opposed to the stage deli which sandwiches start at $10.00- but will feed two. This is not to say that "Subway" is a place that doesn't make sandwiches. Its a chain of sandwich stores which also makes ok sandwiches-although their sandwiches tend to be light on meat unless you pay extra. Remember you are going out in the hot sun so avoid putting Mayonnaise or anything on the sandwiches that spoils easily(no tuna sandwiches)...sorry to be confusing but it late in the am :)

here is more info on Yankee Stadium and yes it was the train

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/guide.jsp

LOL the underground rail way is the subway( as in subterranean way)....The food is any corner deli(there are some ok ones on eighth avenue by the hotel)...they say deli on them and make inexpensive sandwiches(under $5.00) as opposed to the stage deli which sandwiches start at $10.00- but will feed two. This is not to say that "Subway" is a place that doesn't make sandwiches. Its a chain of sandwich stores which also makes ok sandwiches-although their sandwiches tend to be light on meat unless you pay extra. Remember you are going out in the hot sun so avoid putting Mayonnaise or anything on the sandwiches that spoils easily...sorry to be confusing but it late in the am :)

I realised what both terms of subway referred to but just did not know which one you were talking about - the food chain (which we have over here in Australia) or the underground train. LOL..... so.... which one were you talking about??? I gather it was the train.

Jennie

Miss Jolly, this article about ESB was in my local paper yesterday. I hope you have a better experience.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.cowherd05apr05,0,3066744.column?coll=bal-pe-today

It's not a news article, just one man's opinion.

Gee Jennie...For $18.00...er about $24.00 Aus...I want the guard to yell at me a lot to get my money's worth.*G*

Marleneann.

MONUMENT PARK

Since 1932, the Yankees have honored their greatest heroes with the construction of monuments and plaques at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have also created a special walkway to serve as a tribute to those Bombers who have had their uniform numbers retired. Accessible via the Field Level staircase at Sec. 36, Monument Park opens when the gates open and closes 45 minutes prior to the start of the game, subject to capacity restrictions. It is closed between games of a doubleheader and is subject to closure during inclement weather. Please note that those possessing Bleachers tickets cannot access Monument Park.

MONUMENT PARK

Since 1932, the Yankees have honored their greatest heroes with the construction of monuments and plaques at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have also created a special walkway to serve as a tribute to those Bombers who have had their uniform numbers retired. Accessible via the Field Level staircase at Sec. 36, Monument Park opens when the gates open and closes 45 minutes prior to the start of the game, subject to capacity restrictions. It is closed between games of a doubleheader and is subject to closure during inclement weather. Please note that those possessing Bleachers tickets cannot access Monument Park.

Thanks for this info. We will take the advice and get there early to take in all that we can. I can't wait. This is my birthday present even though the game is 2 days before my birthday.

Jennie

Absolutely take the train. Take the #4 from Grand Central and you will be there in 15 minutes. The real benefit to taking the train, though, is your return trip.

Based on the time of the game and your theater tickets, the train is the best way.

Good luck and enjoy the City from one of New York's Finest!

Archived