What is your cruise ritual when you first board?

NthernLgts

My family usually goes on cruises with relatives....so after boarding and grabbing lunch, my cousins and I usually do a self-tour of the ship.

This consists of running around and looking for the clubs, theatre room, gym, spa, game room, etc.

Afterwards, we decide if we wanna go on the guided tour with the cruise staff...haha

good thread. :)

This IS a fun thread! Interesting, I never even thought of ordering room service on that first day! Sounds like a plan, especially if there is a crowd when you happen to board. I'll have to give that some thought although it might be difficult to convince DH. He likes to get to the buffet immediately after boarding!

This IS a fun thread! Interesting, I never even thought of ordering room service on that first day! Sounds like a plan, especially if there is a crowd when you happen to board. I'll have to give that some thought although it might be difficult to convince DH. He likes to get to the buffet immediately after boarding!

Hi Bucky!

Are you still coming to our Golden Amigos get-together on the 13th

at Skywalker's at 11 a.m.? Hope so!!!

Anyway, I'm on the same sailng as Bucky 3 and GoodAsGold.

We like to scope out our room first and then head up to the buffet --

and if we're not familiar with the layout of the ship, then we'll walk around

after the muster drill is over.

I step out of the bus/taxi and I am WOWed by the site of all the ships....wondering how on earth such a massive piece of machinery is gonna stay afloat. I enter the terminal and look around at the happy/tired/excited other passengers and I know their thoughts are the same as mine... Lets Get This Party Started ~ for a whole week I am on a vacation!!! As I enter the ship I am in another WOW mode ~ for each ship I have been on has been awesome in their own way...either with wood, color, glitz, and just the massiveness of the area. I find my cabin which will be my home for the next week and walk out onto the balcony and take a breath...it smells different once you enter the ship ~ the stresses of home/life/work all leave and you are finally at the distination you have looked forward to for months. You explore the ship and the sounds and smells are that of relaxation and a party atmosphere... everyone is there for the same reason ~ a good time. Life is good....:D

There is nothing like boarding a ship for the first time. I love boarding EARLY and roaming around while my cabin is prepared. Nothing beats beating the crouds!! I usually grab a drink and hang out on the top deck watching the poor saps (i.e. non cruisers) wish they were in my position.

Nothing beats a cruise, i'm hooked!

We make our way to the cabin to drop off carry ons. Check out the balcony and smile! Find cabin steward to get ice and chill champagne!

Off to lunch, check on dining room table, then explore the ship--this is our first Princess so there will be a lot ot check out! Unpack if luggage arrive then.

Must find a great spot for sailway and great view of the Golden Gate Bridge! (We usually spend sailaway on our balcony.) Then to balcony and open that champagne! Calls to my dad and then my DD.

Let the pampering and relaxation begin!!!!

There is nothing like boarding a ship for the first time. I love boarding EARLY and roaming around while my cabin is prepared. Nothing beats beating the crouds!! I usually grab a drink and hang out on the top deck watching the poor saps (i.e. non cruisers) wish they were in my position.

Nothing beats a cruise, i'm hooked!

Us too! We're actually flying out a day early for our next one......I'm really looking forward to the boarding early part. The first time boarding the ship is the best.....It's still almost 5 months away & the DW and I cannot wait!!!

Cabin Lunch ( I've been told there is no room service for lunch on embark day) Is room service for lunch a perk for suites?

Explore ( I've cruised 16 times and I'm starting to confuse the layout of the ships)

Muster ( Princess has it in a public room!!!!!)

Meet CC members.

Start sail away forward and then go aft. I do this in each port.

Dinner

Unpack when there is time, but definitely before I go to bed.

Cabin Lunch ( I've been told there is no room service for lunch on embark day) Is room service for lunch a perk for suites?

Explore ( I've cruised 16 times and I'm starting to confuse the layout of the ships)

Muster ( Princess has it in a public room!!!!!)

Meet CC members.

Start sail away forward and then go aft. I do this in each port.

Dinner

Unpack when there is time, but definitely before I go to bed.

I'm interested in knowing about that room service for lunch on embarkation day, too. We'll be in a suite, so maybe it will be available. What a convenience that would be!

Regarding room service upon boarding: We have never had a problem with getting quick room service upon arriving in our cabin. We have been in a mini-suite but I don't think that makes any difference. Our room service lunch arrives within twenty minutes of our call. We are not able to order a beer package until after the ship sails however. We do order a beer and a soda package after we are underway. We do like to place cellphone calls back home from our balcony as we are having our predeparture lunch. To us this is more relaxing than fighting the crowds up at the Horizon Court. The room service menu is limited but that's okay with us since we only want a light lunch anyway. sam

We eat first to make sure that we have a nice table by the window and watch all the happenings. Then we drop off our carry on bags, go make reservations for Sterlings, grab a drink, unpack, muster drill......Sail a way party for sure.:D

We drop off our carry ons and usually head up for lunch. Then it is back to the cabin to unpack. My vacation doesn't begin until everything is put away.

DH and I skip the lunch part but are anxious to get unpacked and settled in. We've generally had a nice breakfast and find that the deck eateries are very congested. We usually have one bag to be delivered to our stateroom and never feel quite ready to start our vacation until it arrives and everything's put away.

Speaking of packing: Are you packed for your Dawn cruise yet? Bon Voyage!

Chris

we usually get to the ship as early as possible. We are NYers and our last 3 cruises and the next cruise have been out of the NY area so we arrive as soon as we can fresh from our own beds and relaxed.

1. Check out cabin

2. I take an EXTENSIVE ship tour...even if I have been on the ship before...DH makes fun of me and says that when I tour the ship I am like a kid in a candy store...he has a hard time keeping up with me....this may be more difficult this year as we are cruising with our 1 year old

3. Head to the dining room to make sure dinner table arrangements are taken care of....inthe past we have requested a table for 2 during the late seating but this year we are taking anytime dining with our family (6 of us)...so I will try to get a table for 6 with a standing 630 reservation

4. LUNCH!!!!-this is DHs favorite part

5. find a nice spot and have a drink listening to some steel drum music....who cars if you are still in NY harbor....as soon as you are on that ship you are on vacation!!!

.who cares if you are still in NY harbor....as soon as you are on that ship you are on vacation!!!

I totally agree!! The second we leave our house to head to the airport (usually the day before) I consider that the beginning of vacation. I want to enjoy every single second of it.

I'm starting to get pumped for our July trip. I've never seen the "sights" of NY before and am looking forward to the entire experience.

Kim

Regarding room service upon boarding: We have never had a problem with getting quick room service upon arriving in our cabin. We have been in a mini-suite but I don't think that makes any difference. Our room service lunch arrives within twenty minutes of our call. We are not able to order a beer package until after the ship sails however. We do order a beer and a soda package after we are underway. We do like to place cellphone calls back home from our balcony as we are having our predeparture lunch. To us this is more relaxing than fighting the crowds up at the Horizon Court. The room service menu is limited but that's okay with us since we only want a light lunch anyway. sam

The room service idea from the balcony is a great one!

Eat quickly in the buffet so we'll be hungry again by dinner! :-) Check out cabin, meet steward and ask for anything we think we'll need. Get luggage and unpack blender so we can start first round of frozen drinks on the balcony. Make cell phone calls to friends and try not to "rub it in" too much. "Oh, hi...yeah, we're in Ft. Lauderdale sitting on the balcony of our cruise ship, sipping frozen drinks and looking out at the blues and greens of the ocean. Just getting ourselves ready to head on down to the Caribbean this week...So, what's up with you??"

Call and make specialty restaurant reservations. Unpack if we're in the mood. If not, there's always tonight...or tomorrow...or whenever...We're on vacation! Don't HAVE to do anything!!

Find the lifejackets. Joke about creative ways to skip the muster drill (of course, we never do). Muster drill, find something to laugh about--like all the lifejackets worn wrong over ridiculously matched island-print shorts and shirts. (Hey, they're having fun; so are we). Smile at all the little kids who are so excited (and the big ones too!). Find a great place to watch sailaway and anticipate all the signs on the condos, waving friendly natives, horns sounding, music blaring and the lights of Ft. Lauderdale fading into the distance as the sun sets...Ahhhhhhh...this is what we've waited for all these months...Now to enjoy!!

And above all...do NOT repeat last cruise when we were up all night before at an area hospital with a suspected kidney stone. Found our cabin, crashed and were awakened out of a dead sleep by the announcement for muster drill. Not a good beginning! This time will be different!!!

Eat quickly in the buffet so we'll be hungry again by dinner! :-) Check out cabin, meet steward and ask for anything we think we'll need. Get luggage and unpack blender so we can start first round of frozen drinks on the balcony. Make cell phone calls to friends and try not to "rub it in" too much. "Oh, hi...yeah, we're in Ft. Lauderdale sitting on the balcony of our cruise ship, sipping frozen drinks and looking out at the blues and greens of the ocean. Just getting ourselves ready to head on down to the Caribbean this week...So, what's up with you??" .......

We DEFINATELY have to factor in more of the "rubbing it in" aspect on future cruises :D

This last cruise we were delayed by a late flight and arrived on Coral Princess at Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30 p.m.! We missed the muster and were thrilled to find our bags in our cabin quickly.

Our usual routine is to find the cabin, meet the steward, and assure that the egg crate is on the bed. We take a look at our view and then head out to get soda cards. Depending on the timing, we go and eat in Horizon Court or unpack and then eat. We make final cell phone calls to our families and then begin the process of unwinding. This cruise there was so much stress at the start that I had two martinis in the Lotus Bar with our Cruise Critic friends ("Coral Cruisers") before dinner!

I also put up our Coral Cruisers room sign with a little rainbow-colored pinwheel in the mail slot. Made me feel like I was home every time I came to the door. :)

Archived