Musings from recent Wind cruise

SweetEmi

I just have a few observations I wanted to share – not a whole review or anything.

APPROPRIATE DRESS: We started to joke that as long as you had children with you, especially teenage children, you all could dress pretty much how you please. We saw families with kids in the dining rooms (not buffet) with slippahs (shower shoes, zoris, thongs), shorts, T-shirts, whatever - almost every night of the cruise. I did notice though that toward the end of the cruise when I made reservations they were careful to tell me the dress code. However, it wasn't just families with kids. One couple I noticed in particular standing in line for the dining room when we were coming out and the woman had very short shorts on and I would see her during the cruise almost always wearing short shorts no matter what time it was or where they were. That same couple ended up on one of the activities broadcasted on the TV all week, which was an 8:30 p.m. show, and she was there up on stage with short shorts on.

That said, there were also many families with children who were very smartly dressed for dinner every night. It was especially cute on formal optional night when I saw one little boy probably 2 or 3 very handsomely dressed including tie and beret. He was strutting his stuff!

MAKING LEMONADE: We didn't make it to Fanning Island due to a medical emergency and were 4 straight days at sea. They were our lemons. Our lemonade was getting to see the best viewing of the volcano I have experienced of 4 and also getting to experience the Molokai coastline, which was simply awesome.

PORT ACTIVITIES: We had the best "whale watch" in Lahaina, Maui during a snorkel excursion to Lanai. We saw at least 15 whales including many babies – many doing lots of antics. We also saw a large pod of spinner dolphins and later saw bottlenose dolphins playing with a group of whales. The next day we took a whale watch excursion, same company, same boat, different captain, and it wasn't half as good but still awesome! We did 7 zip lines in Kauai and that was a thrill and a half!

LE BISTRO/TRATORRIA: I almost forgot to mention, the new menu took a little getting used but we managed *smile* and ate there 3 times this cruise. It still has the best steak on the ship and if you talk nice to your wait staff you might be able to order the souffle without ordering the dinner for two. Still think Le Bistro is the best place for dinner. Tratorria was also very good - though the service (of course) wasn't as good. We ate there 3 times also.

Emi

Actually, the whales only come down here to have their babies and are here from about December to April or May but toward the end of the season they are conserving their energy because they haven't eaten (except for the babies) since they started their trip here and so tend not to be quite as surface active. I think the best time for whale watching is usual around February.

Emi

Oh Emi! You've left me wanting more!!! Are you sure you won't do a full review? We board the Wind a week from today and I'm always so hungry for anything current about this ship!

Thank you for your mini review though! I really enjoyed it.

Liz.

ps. are both the Bistro and the other restuaurant $15 extra?

Liz: I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have but I'm just working my tail off and really don't have time to do much more. Just Le Bistro is $15 surcharge but we always made reservations for the 5:30 seating and that way it was 2 for $15.

MrMate: I have no idea...I never saw it - try again??

Emi

Why was my last post deleted?

My guess is that one of the slipper wearing, holey-jean donning trailer dwellers with the "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt heard that you insulted them, called to notify the webmaster that you had a disparaging comment.....their cousin with the computer narked on you.

Emi....did you do the Canopy Zipline in Kauai?? We are signed up for this on our cruise next week and I would love to hear some details. This is the only shore excursion we have signed up for and I can't wait!!

Kapoho: I booked it independently but after talking to them that day, NCL does use them for their excursions...so I don't know exactly. What does the description say? Is it 7 zip lines?

Hey....I never mentioned what their T-shirts said - nor did I mention the holey jeans (well in this case they were holey shorts - quite short and on a guy - who it turns out we knew but I don't think he wore them in the dining rooms)...lol!

Emi

Actually, the whales only come down here to have their babies and are here from about December to April or May but toward the end of the season they are conserving their energy because they haven't eaten (except for the babies) since they started their trip here and so tend not to be quite as surface active. I think the best time for whale watching is usual around February.

Emi

Thanks, that gives me an idea on when to plan.

And I don't know what happened to the deleted posts, what were you guys doing when I wasn't here?:eek: :D

NP Mama.

Kapoho: Okay - let's see, the guides we had were just wonderful. The one who was "in charge" that day had a different name - something like Charrell?? but you could tell he was probable retired military or police or something. He really took charge and made you listen, which is good because you want to be sure to be safe out there. The zip lines start off pretty easy and you have to go in the same order for the first 5 lines and then you can switch around for the last 2. Jay who was also with us helped us to take off and Charrell helped us land. Pono was our driver. The longest line was a little over 900 feet.

It was really a great experience and beautiful down there. At the end is a river you can get in if you want (but it is pretty cold I understand). The lunch was very good as long as you don't have a teenager with you like we did who ate almost all of the cookies before anyone could get any...lol!

Emi

Can't wait to hear about it Kapoho. Say Hi if you see them from Emi (Amy) and Annette from Kona - Jay and Charrell (?) might remember us - esp Jay because we talked to him about coming over and doing some fishing with him. The woman at the front table when you check in was very nice also but I didn't catch her name.

Emi

Archived