Best method to get from Rome to Civitavecchia

Bob333

Can anyone help? I was wondering the best method to travel from Rome to the cruise port in Civitavecchia. We are going a few days early to Rome and need to make our own arrangements to the cruise port. Can anyone share how they have done this? Charter? Taxi? Town car? what is the approx cost I should expect. Thank you, I appreciate any help.

Can anyone help? I was wondering the best method to travel from Rome to the cruise port in Civitavecchia. We are going a few days early to Rome and need to make our own arrangements to the cruise port. Can anyone share how they have done this? Charter? Taxi? Town car? what is the approx cost I should expect. Thank you, I appreciate any help.
Go to the Europe (Mediterranean) Ports of Call board and you'll find MANY threads on this. Train is the cheapest.

Les

Dear Bob,

We are sailing on the Royal Princess on June 1st from Athens to Rome. I am in the process of booking Romashuttle for the third time. They are charging 100 Euros from Civitavecchia to our hotel in Rome. It is about an hour trip. Last year there were two other couples from the CruiseCritic message boards who joined us and so the 100 Euro cost was divided between three couples. The charge from the hotel to the airport is 30 Euros. Alfredo, the general manager has always been prompt with email contact and the service has been great. His email is romashuttle@yahoo.it

I am always in awe of those who take the train and walk through the portlands which appear very large. We are not light packers so I don't think it would be possible for us to lug four giant wheeled suitcases by ourselves. Of course one of those suitcases is empty for the shopping that I must do and one is full of shoes!!!

Have a great trip. You will love the Med.

Linda

We took the train. If you get to the station in Rome there is a door half way down the station from the main entrance. As you walk in you go down an escalator and then get onto a walking escalator so you dont have to schlep your cases. The train is at the end of the station. Keep changing escalators til the end of the station. You can buy a ticket from a table at the train. Very easy and quick. the trains leave every 1/2 hour or so. We checked the timetable at the station beforehand and decided which train to take. At the port we hopped onto a shuttle that took us into the port. We were on Celebrity but got onto the Princess shuttle.;) The cost was around 10 euros.

Don´t even consider far too expensive cab or shuttle, train is definitely the best and the cheapest way. If you use Leonardo Express to get to Rome Termini Station from airport, the train to Civitavecchia will be leaving right next to it - you won´t be able to miss it! In Civitavecchia, you can either walk to the pier (it´is quite a walk if you have a lot of luggage) or take the cab there.

I agree. Take the train. 100 euros is alot of money to go to Rome form the port. The trains in Italy are cheap and very effecient.

I say take a van........If you can find a group, a van is the way to go. When we did it we were four, so at 25 euro ea vs 10 ea... It was worth being picked up at the hotel and delivered to the port. No schlepping bags up and down stairs, in and out of stations, on and off trains. :(

And as mentioned above, if you hook up with fellow passengers... maybe you can get a group of six or eight and drop the per person price more.

If you take the train to Civitavecchia, you will be doublebacking if you first go to Termini and then to the port. It is shorter and less expensive to take the FR1 line from the airport to the Trastevere Station and transfer then to the FR5 line to Civitavecchia. From the Station it is about a ten minute walk to the entry to the port (near McDonalds) where there may (should be) a free port bus that will take you to your ship or, more dependably, you can take a cab to the ship (ca. 15 euros).

This webpage has further info. http://it.geocities.com/mp_pollett/roma-tr.htm

Last year, I booked a private car through my hotel in Rome for a transfer to the airport: well worth the 40 euros for the 2 of us. My impresssion is that there is a great deal of price variation.

......Last year, I booked a private car through my hotel in Rome for a transfer to the airport: well worth the 40 euros for the 2 of us. My impresssion is that there is a great deal of price variation.

That seems about right (as little bit less than we paid). The trip between the airport and Rome is about half the distance as the trip between the port and Rome.

While the train is the cheapest and most convenient way to Civitavecchia, be aware that rail strikes are frequent in Italy, especially in summer, so have a back up plan (and travel insurance) just in case!

I guess I'm not sure what the original poster is asking. "Best" is rather subjective. Depending on the individual it could mean cheapest, fastest, easiest, most luxurious or a number of other adjectives. For me it's convenience. We disembarked at Civitavecchia once and contacted our hotel to have a car service pick us up. It was €60 for ship to hotel service. Since this was a 25 day cruise we had a little more luggage than usual, and lugging it by train was not a viable option to us. Oh yes, we passed the Princess busses on the autostrada, so it could be considered "faster" too!

Jim

We arranged a shuttle van with 3 other CC couples that we met here online. We all flew in from around the world and were staying at different hotels. All we had were hotel names and addresses and we went from hotel to hotel picking up each couple, meeting for the first time. It was a great adventure and we became fast friends. We planned to take the train back to Rome and it was a nightmare. There were 2 ships in port disembarking and only a few taxis so the line for a taxi to go to the train station was hours until Princess actually brought in buses. Then getting down the stairs across the tracks and on the train with all the luggage was very hard and it was a full train and they wanted all the luggage up in the overhead racks! We would never do it again, and we LOVE the trains...

We arranged a shuttle van with 3 other CC couples that we met here online. We all flew in from around the world and were staying at different hotels. All we had were hotel names and addresses and we went from hotel to hotel picking up each couple, meeting for the first time. It was a great adventure and we became fast friends. We planned to take the train back to Rome and it was a nightmare. There were 2 ships in port disembarking and only a few taxis so the line for a taxi to go to the train station was hours until Princess actually brought in buses. Then getting down the stairs across the tracks and on the train with all the luggage was very hard and it was a full train and they wanted all the luggage up in the overhead racks! We would never do it again, and we LOVE the trains...

Your story makes me happy we did not try the train to and from Rome .... and enforces my impression it was worth the extra money to get delivered "door-to-door".

Trains are ok if you don't have all that luggage.

Archived