Halaekala Crater or snorkeling?

cruisin24

I am wondering if I should skip the snorkeling I had planned at Honolua Marine Reserve/Slaughterhouse Beach and possibly Black Rock at Kaanapali and head to Halaekala Crater?? We will not be going to the crater at sunrise...just not willing to get up at 3am when our days are so fully booked. Will that mean that we should skip it?

I was attempting to fit the Road to Hana (a condensed version) and the Halaekala Crater (quick visit) into day 1 and head to the snorkeling spots and Iao Valley/Needle on day 2 but I am guessing that is not doable.

Keeping in mind that we are doing the Captain Cooks monument snorkle at K-Bay and also going to snorkle Honauma Bay on Oahu. Would I be missing much if I missed Honolua Marine Reserve and Black Rock at Kaanapali?

Oh so little time and oh so much to see!!!

It depends on what your priorities are. If you are snorkelers, then you should not miss Honolua (and Ka'anapali). If you are sight-seeing fans, then you should do Haleakala.

Yes, trying to do even a condensed version of Hana and Haleakala on one day is pushing it. Plus, IMO it's not worth all the effort to do the road to Hana if all you're going to do is blast down the road and back.

You really can't go wrong with either choice.

beachchick

We are just back from a week in Maui. If you can snorkle Molokini crater - that is a far superior experience to Haleakala crater (which was completely shrouded in fog when we were there). We took the Lanai/Molokini snorkle tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation and it was the trip of a lifetime! We even saw whales, turtles and dolphins.

LisaV6,

No we will not be doing Molokini Crater as we are doing the Capt Cook monument in Kona which everyone on these boards raves about and also Honauma Bay in Oahu so we are passing on Molokini.

I guess my questions was to those that have done Capt Cooks and Honauma Bay in Oahu...will I be missing anything if I pass on Honolua Marine Reserve and Black Rock to go and see the crater since we will be doing excellent snorkeling trips on other islands.

I have such a hard time making up my mind!

Archived