No Passport and No Birth Certificate! What to do?!?

OP never told us if the 'copy' was a certified copy or a photocopy. Given the second example, where the friend was denied boarding, I suspect that MIL may have had a certified copy. I also wonder if the fact that the OP's MIL had applied for a passport many weeks earlier and was therefore listed in the government computer system made the difference between her being able to get on the ship.

Cheryl,

Just learning how to use this site?

I was on the Grand Princess(overboard) Cruise with you and had dinner with you and your husband. I have short blonde hair and am from Waco, Tx.. Remember me????

I heard from some of the cruisers that we might get a credit of some sort from our cruise due to the "incident". Have you heard anything:confused: . I feel sure we will not, but just asking for your thoughts.

Has your husband learned how to tie his pants legs together yet? :cool: ha.

When is your next cruise? I am looking for deals this morning......

OP never told us if the 'copy' was a certified copy or a photocopy. Given the second example, where the friend was denied boarding, I suspect that MIL may have had a certified copy. I also wonder if the fact that the OP's MIL had applied for a passport many weeks earlier and was therefore listed in the government computer system made the difference between her being able to get on the ship.

She said that the MIL herself had made a copy. Therefore, it's not certified.

Of course, if her MIL communicates like MY MIL communicates, who knows what she really meant. ;)

Yes, it was indeed a photocopy.. NOT a certified copy. That is why she was so worried about being denied boarding.

So please remind all your friends and family that will be cruising soon to make sure they have all their documentation in order BEFORE they leave! It will save a panic attack and possibly not be able to board the ship until they have proper documentation. My MIL just lucked out!! I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying to do that!! ;)

Yes, it was indeed a photocopy.. NOT a certified copy. That is why she was so worried about being denied boarding.

So please remind all your friends and family that will be cruising soon to make sure they have all their documentation in order BEFORE they leave! It will save a panic attack and possibly not be able to board the ship until they have proper documentation. My MIL just lucked out!! I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying to do that!! ;)

A very good lesson...just glad your MIL did not have to learn it the hard way.

Hope this nervous start did not interfere with a great cruise!!

My DSIL had a major problem the morning we were to sail. He had brought the wrong BC with him...the cute one from the hospital not the state cert copy. He was lucky. We called Celebrity, had a notory state he was really the person on the hosp BC, stamp the form (something faxed from the cruise line) and was able to board. Everyone was holding our breath wondering if he would be allowed on ship. When he got to the dock, they already knew all about the issue from the corporate office of Celebrity and he was passed right on. He was teased when he was standing in line to see the emmigration people. The ship cruise director knew all about the scare and teased him right up to the door way. All worked out and passports really do make for a nicer trip! Those "cruise/drive" cards that the government is thinking about sound good too. Maybe more folks will get those since some don't want to get passports (for whatever reason). I am glad your MIL was able to sail and so sorry the young man was denied boarding...an expensive lesson learned.

My DSIL had a major problem the morning we were to sail. He had brought the wrong BC with him...the cute one from the hospital not the state cert copy. He was lucky. We called Celebrity, had a notory state he was really the person on the hosp BC, stamp the form (something faxed from the cruise line) and was able to board. Everyone was holding our breath wondering if he would be allowed on ship. When he got to the dock, they already knew all about the issue from the corporate office of Celebrity and he was passed right on. He was teased when he was standing in line to see the emmigration people. The ship cruise director knew all about the scare and teased him right up to the door way. All worked out and passports really do make for a nicer trip! Those "cruise/drive" cards that the government is thinking about sound good too. Maybe more folks will get those since some don't want to get passports (for whatever reason). I am glad your MIL was able to sail and so sorry the young man was denied boarding...an expensive lesson learned.

I wonder if Carnival would do the same. I am having a problem with BC now. Originally It was just My DH and I going on this cruise, well my sister was supossed to stay with my DD and she cancelled YESTERDAY!! Les than 7 days to go. Well we will take our DD with us but just relised that her BC is with Passport processing. When I check the website for status it just gives me a number but no where to track it. I was on hold with the info center for 2 hours yesterday and ended up hanging up. I had to. I have no other choice but to take her with us. If they dont let her on then am SOL. So I wonder if Carnival will accept a notary and the cute hospital BC. Does anyone have a number to contact the big guys over at carnival??? BTW i have ordered her BC Copy but we can only hope it gets here by Friday. We may have a chance.

I wonder if Carnival would do the same. I am having a problem with BC now. Originally It was just My DH and I going on this cruise, well my sister was supossed to stay with my DD and she cancelled YESTERDAY!! Les than 7 days to go. Well we will take our DD with us but just relised that her BC is with Passport processing. When I check the website for status it just gives me a number but no where to track it. I was on hold with the info center for 2 hours yesterday and ended up hanging up. I had to. I have no other choice but to take her with us. If they dont let her on then am SOL. So I wonder if Carnival will accept a notary and the cute hospital BC. Does anyone have a number to contact the big guys over at carnival??? BTW i have ordered her BC Copy but we can only hope it gets here by Friday. We may have a chance.

Where was she born? Can you go to the local health department and get one? There's a place online you can it to too and have it overnighted.

My son is a very absent minded computer sort who misplaces everything he touches. Well, I exaggerate but you get the picture. He loves to travel and flies off to exotic, remote places with only his backpack. I worry incessantly (he's 29 so I have to do it quietly and not let him know).

I keep copies of his passport, birth certificate and driver's license in my computer as a backup. In case he's ever in a jam, I can at least email them somewhere, in hopes it might help.

But I recently saw a website advertising online document storage for travelers. I don't remember the name of it but that might something some of us would find useful. I realize these wouldn't be official or certified but they'd be better than nothing. I'm also thinking I'd rather keep them online where only I can access them than to keep copies in my suitcase. Although I think I'll email them to myself as attachments unless I can be sure this is a legitimate service through a legitimate company.

New Jersey, I am in FLorida. I ordered from Vital check and the best they can do is 3-5 days. Do you know where I call for overnight?

Call and ask Vital Check to send it overnight and charge you for the postage.

:rolleyes: If she goes on line to the vital statistics of her birth state she may be able to get an expedited certified copy of her birth certificate. I would definately look into that option.

My dh needed an original or cert copy to apply for his passport and we went online and ordered it. Regular mail took two weeks but I know that there is a way to get it faster. Good luck.

Call and ask Vital Check to send it overnight and charge you for the postage.

They do send it overnight from the day that the state processes it. So that could be in 3 days, which is too late. I have a copy I just remebered about at her cheer gym. But I would be too afraid to try the copy thing. I cant exactly leave her at the pier, she is only 9. Still working on it.

We (I know, it's terrible) forgot our birth certificates on our last cruise and didn't realize it until the 2nd day of our drive down there on a Sunday when we couldn't even overnight them. We spent many panicked hours on the phone and were basically told we could go down there and beg. Someone told us we might possibly be able to sign some form that would excuse us as long as they had arrived by the time we were back in port, but it was a cr*pshoot at best. We ended up with a faxed copy of both of our birth certificates and were able to get on the ship, but we definately should not have! We got in big trouble with customs when we left, but he just yelled at us and let us go because we were obviously not stowaways and there was nothing he could do at that point. So she could go and risk it, but be ready not to go if they didn't accept it.

Did you already call Carnival, and were you able to add another passenger at this late date? I would worry that the ship would be sold out and they wouldn't be able to accommodate another passenger.

Zbar, did you hear back from Carnival yet? Did she get her b.c.? I know the govt kept telling us all to get those passports, but can u imagine how busy they are? I hope it all works out well, and they have room for her in your cabin...

• 5 years later...

FYI to all, this is from the WHTI (Western Hempisphere Travel Innitiative)Website, set up by Homeland Security and US Customs and Border Patrol.

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

It says NOTHING about the copy of the birth certificate being certified. We've used just photocopies on more than one occasion by land and sea. Just FYI. :) have a great day all. :)

FYI to all, this is from the WHTI (Western Hempisphere Travel Innitiative)Website, set up by Homeland Security and US Customs and Border Patrol.

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

It says NOTHING about the copy of the birth certificate being certified. We've used just photocopies on more than one occasion by land and sea. Just FYI. :) have a great day all. :)

I'm curious. How did you happen to find this five year old thread? Threads from spring 2007 are on about page 800 for me.

And then why decide to reply? There are numerous threads about document requirements that are very recent and that also include links to the various government agencies.

Dedred70

You have replied to thread that is more than FIVE years old...in that time rules have changed and policies have been implemented.

As to your assertion that the current regulations do not state 'certified' - you are correct.

BUT most cruise lines DO specify certified copy or government issued copy in their requirements, and therefore acceptance of a photocopy would be at the discretion of both the cruiseline and/or the CBP officer on duty. Photocopies can be manipulated, a certified copy removes that doubt. That is a risk you may feel comfortable taking, but please do not advocate it for others without that caveat.

All you need to do is a google search "denied boarding cruise photocopy birth certificate" and you will find no shortage of people denied boarding.

If you got on with a photocopy, you got lucky, end of story.

I can't imagine why someone would even risk it.

This is an old old thread-why the heck did you bring it up? By now the motherinlaw has taken several more cruises.

Archived