garment bag question

vfb2girls

I am thinking about purchasing a folding garment bag to put out dress clothes in for our up coming trip to Alaska. Do you know if this can be considered a carry on? I really do not want to take the chance of this being the only luggage that would get lost. We are flying into Anchorage and doing a land tour on our own for 12 days before we cruise so my poor dress clothes won't be used right away. Anyone have any good recommendations on what type of bag I should buy? Thank for any suggestions.

I have seen people carry them on, is it okay, depends on the airline I guess. Technically, it is not a carry on but again, some still do. They might make you gate check it if they think it is too big. The rule is can it fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you.

I am thinking about purchasing a folding garment bag to put out dress clothes in for our up coming trip to Alaska. Do you know if this can be considered a carry on? I really do not want to take the chance of this being the only luggage that would get lost. We are flying into Anchorage and doing a land tour on our own for 12 days before we cruise so my poor dress clothes won't be used right away. Anyone have any good recommendations on what type of bag I should buy? Thank for any suggestions.

Garment bags can be carried on as part of your carryon allowance-1 bag + 1 personal item.

The only problem I see with this idea: Unless you are flying in the front of the bus, most garment bags will have to be laid flat in the overhead. There is not much closet space in most planes and fc passengers get priority on the limited closet space.

If you lay it flat, you will either have to put your own stuff on top of it OR someone else will. I have seen garment bags wrinkled soooo badly in the overheads, they don't look like garment bags anymore.

Just a suggestion: Mail the clothes to yourself % a hotel, B & B, rental car company, etc. in Alaska. Call first to make sure the receiver will accept the package. Priority mail will take about 6 days-cost is about $2.00 per pound. Package should be there 1/2 way through your trip.

Or just put everything in a suitcase and send it out for pressing the minute you get on the ship. Average pressing price-$3.00 per item.

if you stay over b4 boarding next day..(after flight)..and pack rather than carry..most hotels have ironing/board/iron..then use your garment bag to carry on to the ship..I got a 4 inch gusset gown length one(a shorter for hubby) from Stacks and Stacks on line..quikie sent, about $10 each..very nice heavy nylon..I had them nicely monogrammed..I drive so all is pressed, drycleaner bagged 2/3 pcs ea. zip tie them..then all together..zip tie all those.extend ties to make longer.I use a broccoli rubber band around the hook stack..bottom loop on that bag loops over hook,,so it's easy up stairs/escaltor..virtually no wrinkles!

I bought a Vera Bradley garment bag figuring it being fabric and folded in half lengthwise . . . it would easily fit in the compartment and I'll have one of the kids carry on my Tamrac backpack for camera and shore excursions since it has an upper compartment for a few necessities. IF I need another carry on bag, as we're going on a 28 day total vacation . . . I'll just let one of the kids have another of my carry-on's. LOL

Deana

I agree with Greatam your garment bag will be "stuffed" into the overhead or you will sit with it on your lap for the whole flight. It is also a pain to drag around. I would check it or hire the baggage delivery service that is often offered by the cruise line.:p

I've checked out a few of those luggage delivery services, it might be cheaper to buy your clothes when you get there!

Our garment bag cannot be carried on, it's way too large, almost as large as a regular suitcase. It can hold a ton of stuff and all the hanging clothes stay wrinkle free. I have my husbands dress shirts boxed instead of hanging, they go right into the side pockets of the bag.

If it's just a couple of garments and they can go into your suitcase, I'd use the press service. I like to board airplanes as unemcumbered as possible.

Thanks to all the great suggestions, I doubt that we will be able to hang our garment bag up in the airplane and I really do not want to have to hold it on my lap for the 6 hour plane ride. Since we only have duffle bag type of luggage I think my best choice would be to buy another larger suitcase. I really like the duffle type of luggage we have but there is no way we will be able to fit two gowns and and suit in them without crushing the clothes. So I guess it is off to e-bags to shop for some new luggage.

Thanks to all the great suggestions, I doubt that we will be able to hang our garment bag up in the airplane and I really do not want to have to hold it on my lap for the 6 hour plane ride. Since we only have duffle bag type of luggage I think my best choice would be to buy another larger suitcase. I really like the duffle type of luggage we have but there is no way we will be able to fit two gowns and and suit in them without crushing the clothes. So I guess it is off to e-bags to shop for some new luggage.

If you are going to buy new luggage anyway, please look into rolling garment bag. I am partial to the Hartmann's and I know Happy ks has a Victorinox, both of which are pricey at retail unless you travel a lot.

But Samsonite and others have rolling garment bags in the $150.00 category. Get the LONGEST one you can (mine is a 50"). And make sure it has a clamp in it, NOT a garment bag sleeve. The sleeves are no different than putting your own folding garment bag inside another suitcase.

This one looks pretty good for the money: http://www.ebags.com/kenneth_cole_reaction_business_and_luggage/lighten_up_45_wheeled_garment_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=63711

And check Ebay. Hartmann's and other high dollar garment bags ($700.00++ retail) are often available for $200.00. There are a lot on Ebay new for much less. Just make sure you get the clamp kind. There is a Donald J. Trump Signature collection bag on there right now. I have seen them in stores in NYC for at least $500.00. NO bids and the opening price is $149.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DONALD-TRUMP-BALLISTIC-LEATHER-ROLLING-GARMENT-BAG_W0QQitemZ190100297203QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16085QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Take your clothes direct from the cleaners, bags, hangers, and all and put them in the suitcase along with lots of other stuff. Make sure you FILL the corners so there is no slop.

I travel a lot for business-I would be totally lost without my rolling garment bag. I need to get off the plane and often go directly to a business meeting after a shower at the airport club. I fly the red eye from Los Angeles to NYC at least 6 times a year, arriving about 6:00AM. I literally can pull a suit or pantsuit out of the garment bag and be ready to go. NO WRINKLES.

We have just bought a 42 inch wheeled garment bag. It's made by Wenger, and the dimensions are 23 1/2 in. wide x 8 1/2 in. deep x 21 in. high. From your post, it sounded as if you carry your bag on the plane and store it in the overhead. This is what we had hoped to do when we purchased the piece. We want to store our formal clothes in it and use it as my husband's carry on.

I realize that we are at the mercy of the different airlines and their various policies. We'll be flying United to Europe and using Lufthansa for our return flight. Have you had any experience with these two airlines in relationship to the wheeled garment bag as a carry on. I'm more concerned with Lufthansa, than United, but the vagaries of any airline employee is always at question.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Mary

We have just bought a 42 inch wheeled garment bag. It's made by Wenger, and the dimensions are 23 1/2 in. wide x 8 1/2 in. deep x 21 in. high. From your post, it sounded as if you carry your bag on the plane and store it in the overhead. This is what we had hoped to do when we purchased the piece. We want to store our formal clothes in it and use it as my husband's carry on.

I realize that we are at the mercy of the different airlines and their various policies. We'll be flying United to Europe and using Lufthansa for our return flight. Have you had any experience with these two airlines in relationship to the wheeled garment bag as a carry on. I'm more concerned with Lufthansa, than United, but the vagaries of any airline employee is always at question.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Mary

Sorry, but a 42" wheeled garment bag will NOT fit in the overhead in most planes. Total size for most airlines (some are even less) for ANY carryon is 45 inches total-length + width + height. If your measurements are correct, yours totals 53 inches. Please plan on checking your bag.

Your wheeled garment bag is made to be checked. It is not a carryon. Packed correctly, dry cleaners bags over clothes, corners filled in tightly, your clothes should arrive in great shape.

Thank you for taking to time to comment on my question. When we bought the wheeled garment bag, we measured it (standing side by side) against our 22 inch rollaboard. There was a three inch dfference side to side, but the height measurements were the same. It is a given that the garment bag was unpacked when the two suitcases were measured.

That's the reason I asked the question on the boards. I was hoping since the rollaboard has always fit in the overhead with room to spare, that we might be as lucky with the wheeled garment bag.

Mary

Archived