Possible for my kids to swim on Star/Alaska/August

Mateo

My kids, 6 and 9 love to swim. With 2 days of sea on the Star in August was wondering if the pools are open and if the water was warm. Caribbean cruises I've been on seem to have the sea water pumped into them directly every morning. Do they have heated pools for Alaska? The Star Aug. 11th.

if you get a heat wave, maybe they will want to swim. we had a few people in the pool during the sail-a-way party. 1 kid in the hot tub for glacier viewing. otherwise very few people ever on the top deck.

our temps never got over 60 degrees during the day, lows at night to low 40s, maybe some high 30s. with the dampness in the air, it seems colder then it really is.

i didn't try them out, but i heard they were not heated. at 1 point, while walking from one end of the ship to the other, around the pool, i saw 1 guy reading..bundled up. no one else on deck.

I was on the Star in October 2005. I was about 3000 miles south of where you will be (I was in Acapulco). The water in the pool was cool then. In Alaska I would suggest the hot tub (they are not that hot) unless your kids want to know what it is like to be fresh frozen.

If the icy pool water slows them down, I'll be all for it..Hee Hee

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure so they don't get their hopes up.

Some people from work were on the NCL Wind in Alaska a few years back. I asked if anyone used the pool. My co-worker was there with a young teen (about 13 at the time I believe) and said that he and some friends he met on the cruise went swimming every day. I asked if it was cold and was told that he did not complain that it was.

So, you might want to keep an eye on your children, and as they turn from purple to blue, put them in the hot (read warm) tub to bring their temp back to normal.

I believe I have some photos of the Star's pools I can show you ...

This is the kid's pool ...

Web+K-3-1000x271.jpg

Web+K-7.jpg

And this is the main pool ...

Web+P-main+pool+-+1.jpg

Web+P-pool+pan-3+1000X547.jpg

Web+P-pool+pan-1+1000X345.jpg

We have sailed Alaska twice with Princess and the swimming pools for the Alaska sailings were heated as well as the Hot Tubs. I am suprised to hear that NCL would not have warm water to heat the pools.

We have sailed Alaska twice with Princess and the swimming pools for the Alaska sailings were heated as well as the Hot Tubs. I am suprised to hear that NCL would not have warm water to heat the pools.

So will the people who jump into the pool without dipping their toes first. Reminds me of an Easter time swim I almost took in Las Vegas. I got in as far as my ankles and out I came. Spend the rest of the time in the hot tub.

Yea, I was on the Vision of the Seas for the end of July/beginning of August.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools were heated (to maybe 75-ish degrees)

There were ALWAYS kids in the outdoor pool.

We sailed the Star in July of '05, and the pool was quite popular. I have a photo of us viewing the glaciers, and the pool was full of kids. On our last sea day, we had people sun bathing in their bikinis. Just depends....it can be cool, or it could be in the 80's

Well from what I gather from the posts there is a chance for them to maybe swim in the kids pool. They will be thrilled, but I think I'll wait till we get there before I tell them there's a possiblility it. My son is brave enough to jump overboard, just to get wet, if dissapointed.

Aren't the pools on Princess ships freshwater? I don't think they pump anything from the ocean on any of their ships, whether it's Alaska or the Caribbean.

1) Yes, the pools on Princess are fresh water. The pools on NCL are saltwater.

2) Where do you think Princess gets its fresh water? Princess, as do all the other cruise ships, uses the heat from the engines to boil the water. Then they collect the steam and that is where they get their fresh water. So fresh or salt, it comes from the ocean.

The big yellow waterslides look like they end at the concrete????

Camera angle. It ends in the yellow area. Then you get up and walk. No one I saw hit the wall. Want to know why? See that white part at the end. It is soft. You don't slide on that - you stop!

So, the waterslides don't drop you into the pool?

No, there is no drop. Here is another view ...

Web+P-main+pool+water+slide+the+end.jpg

You could however fall into the smaller pool between the two slides if you really need to drop into a pool at the end (and no one was below you in the smaller pool).

Archived