SanDiego Hotel/Motel?

croman02

Where is a good and convenient place to stay the night before boarding? We are considering the April cruise to Hawaii. I am wondering if it is worth it to book our own air and stay in SD the night before the cruise.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Just got back from the Manchester Hyatt in San Diego. Great hotel. Had a room on the 28th floor overlooking the harbor. Watched a couple Princess liners come in from my room. Also the aircraft carriers Ronald Regan and Nimitz were dock right outside the window. What a place, like paradise!

This same question was asked on this Board I believe, within the last couple of weeks. Most people seemed to like the Holiday Inn-on-the Bay which is right across the street from the Pier.

When our friends stayed there a couple of years ago, the Bellman helped them walk their luggage to the ship for check-in.

You don't say where you are coming from, but being from the East Coast, we find it less tiring to fly in the day before, especiall with the 3 hour time difference.

We have done the Hawaii trip twice and loved it. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks Jollycruiser. We are staying at the Manchester Hyatt in San Diego when we cruise next year, and I'm so excited now. It sounds like you had a great view and room. May I ask how long it took you to get to the pier, and did they provide a shuttle from the airport?

:)

We are from the East Coast and always fly into San Diego a couple of days before our cruise so that we have time to adjust to the new time zone. That way we are all rested for the cruise.

We have been staying at the Embassy Suites - very nice - overlooks the bay where the ships come in.

:)

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy, about 1 block NE of the Holiday Inn that was mentioned. It cost less, and they have a shuttle to/from the airport, and will shuttle you over to the ship a couple of blocks away. I agree, if you can get it, the Holiday Inn seems to be the premier place for location since it's so close. We'll be staying at the Hampton Inn when we cruise out of SD in Dec.

Ken

Thanks Jollycruiser. We are staying at the Manchester Hyatt in San Diego when we cruise next year, and I'm so excited now. It sounds like you had a great view and room. May I ask how long it took you to get to the pier, and did they provide a shuttle from the airport?

The Hyhatt does not provide shuttle service, it is only a few blocks to the pier and < a $10 taxi. If you can get an upper level harbor view in the hotel it is an unbelievable view and great way to start your vacation cruise!

San Diego Departures: Make sure to go to Ralph's Supermarket (walking distance and motels have vans in the area), join the Ralph's Club (no charge) and buy all wine and soft drinks. Last Feb. we bought Woodbridge-White Zinfandel for $2.50/bottle with Ralph's card -- took 6 on board because have a suite and have guests before dinner.Also a great place to buy deli-food if you want some snacks in your hotel room. We stayed at Hol. Inn on Bay and rooms facing bay are pretty small but some facing the city (friends had) are much larger. We have AARP rate at Hol.Inn.April 2005 for $145. Hotel van. took all of us (8 + luggage) to ship at no charge but of course we tipped generously.

last year, we bid on priceline for a 3 star hotel and was awarded

HILTON SAN DIEGO AIRPORT - HARBOR ISLAND

...which was way too far from civilization for aour tastes...we did not want to pay fancy restaurant prices, luckily, we had a couple of sandwiches with us ...the Hilton did have a free shuttle to the port.

last year, we bid on priceline for a 3 star hotel and was awarded HILTON SAN DIEGO AIRPORT - HARBOR ISLAND ...which was way too far from civilization for aour tastes...

Its a $5 taxi ride from anywhere downtown, with a lovely view of the harbor. Not exactly "out in the sticks".....

Archived