Avalon Pier in Amsterdam?

exxraytech

We are arriving in Amsterdam by train from Brussels for the Rhine and Moselle cruise with Avalon in May. Can anyone suggest how to get to the pier from the Central Station? We will have our (wheeled) luggage with us. I understand that taxis are not plentiful and expensive. We are good walkers but have never been to Amsterdam before. I have a map but it doesn't show the specific pier. Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot before. (A web board newbie!)icon11.gif

Hello, neighbor! (I'm in Burnaby).

Do you know exactly where your ship will be docked? (You might want to take a look at one of my earlier posts on this question.)

If your dock is in the same area where we docked (Uniworld, rather than Avalon, but it may well be the same area), AND the weather is good, AND you're capable of handling the distance, it hypothetically is possible for you to walk from the train station to the dock. It's "only" 500 meters or so, and it's flat (all Holland is flat!)

We were on the Avalon Tapestry last Novemeber, and our cruise ended in Amsterdam.The pier that was used was behind the Central Rail Station within easy walking distance. We pulled our luggage from the ship to the station over level terrain with no difficulty (we were going to Brussels !!!).

Suggest you contact Avalon to see if they will let you know where the ship will be since they don't always dock at exactly the same place.:)

My husband and I traveled from Basel to Amsterdam last November and I remember after our morning tour of Amsterdam (which ended near the Central Station), my husband and I walked back to the ship. The Central Station is literally on the dock and we walked right through the station to the water, and then turned right and walked about a half mile or so to the Avalon Tapestry. There was a Uniworld cruise ship docked right next to ours, so I think that must be the popular spot for river cruises.

From what I've read on other posts, the river ships dock at two different places near the train station, so Avalon may not know until that morning. If you can't see the ship from the back of the station, try calling the phone numbers for the cruise director and/or Avalon operations that are listed in your cruise docs.

For our Avalon cruise, we'll be getting together at a hotel, and then will be bussed to the pier. Since you will be coming in by train, that won't make any sense. Boarding won't begin until around 3:30 p.m. for our cruise, but yours might begin earl;ier.

Avalon says it doesn't know what dock until the morning of departure. Our travel agent says take a taxi from the train station to Hotel NH Amsterdam Centre where we will be met and taken to the ship.

Avalon says it doesn't know what dock until the morning of departure. Our travel agent says take a taxi from the train station to Hotel NH Amsterdam Centre where we will be met and taken to the ship.

Why spend the money for a taxi to take you to a hotel away from the dock area just to come back to them. The piers are not that far from Central Station. At worst case, if docked at the PTA piers, you are looking at about a 20-30 minute walk if you walk at a normal pace. If they dock at the piers behind Central Station then you are looking at 10-15 minutes if you catch the lights red.

We just got back from Amsterdam from a Viking River cruise. They were docked out at the PTA dock. Taking the long way around, we walked to Central Station is 40 minutes (I am recovering from a pulled hamstring and walk quite slowly).

If I were you, I would first try contacting the boat as soon as you get in, or even walk out the back side of Central Station and across the street and see if you can see the boat. Taking the taxi away from the piers would be my last resort.

Cheers,

Even though you won't be able to go to your cabin until 3 or 4 I am sure they will be willing to store your luggage for you on the ship and let you hang out in the lounge or wherever. I have heard others say they were able to go directly to the ship,leave their luggage and then go sightseeing.Others have said that there was a bufffet lunch set up for the incoming passengers.Not everyone goes to the meeting place hotel as many people have arrived a few days early and must check out of their hotels at 11 AM.and have then gone directly to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you do have a buffet lunch. We were on the first Avalon cruise of the year. There was no buffet lunch at the meeting place hotel, and no food when we got onboard, until dinner at 7:30. Either eat before you come onboard, or check in, then walk to Central Station and buy yourself a snack.

We are arriving in Amsterdam by train from Brussels for the Rhine and Moselle cruise with Avalon in May. Can anyone suggest how to get to the pier from the Central Station? We will have our (wheeled) luggage with us. I understand that taxis are not plentiful and expensive. We are good walkers but have never been to Amsterdam before. I have a map but it doesn't show the specific pier. Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot before. (A web board newbie!)icon11.gif

Just for your information. Even Avalon does not know where the docking position of their ships are in Amsterdam until 24 hrs in advance. You will be provided in your cruise documents with the telephone number of the ship as well as for the Cruise Director. Pls phone either one for the exact docking position. If you intend to walk, it pays to be informed. Distance between one position from the other might be more than 2 miles. Concerning early arrival; hotelmanagers have the instructions not to let guests on board until official arriving time which is normally at 4pm. The reason is that the ships are being cleaned that day and the crew also needs the time to change befor our guests are coming on board. This is also the reason why there is a welcome hotel, where guests can wait until the departure is planned to go to the ship. For this reason Avalon also gives you the possibility to participate in an optional excursion that day. It takes care of the waiting time and also gives you the opportunity to see things you might normally have a chance to see.

Enjoy your cruise on the Rhine and the Moselle.

Thanks for the input. We'll keep all of this in mind and see how the day goes. The trains from Brussels are frequent so we will time it for late afternoon arrival. I will take your advice Heintje, and phone for the Tapestry's location before we leave the station. I don't really want to travel all the way to the hotel just to travel back by bus, when we will be so close.

Does anyone know if the route we will be walking is cobblestones?

We leave for Brussels in 36 hours!

Does anyone know if the route we will be walking is cobblestones?

I can't say for sure, but chances are excellent that, yes, the route will be cobblestones. Or at least, what we would classify as "paving bricks".

Archived