Alaska 2008--Some advice needed

englishmum

I understand the 2008 bookings for Alaska will be available shortly,so I need some advice before booking.I really don't mind which cruiseline,RCL,HAL, or Princess.We have recently come back from a cruise on the Infinity and I would happily use Celebrity again but because of all the pod problems I want to make sure there are no missed ports.At the moment I would like to start in Vancouver,spend a few days there and then do a land excursion,using one of the dome trains,then back to Vancouver and board the ship for a 13-14 day cruise ending up in Los Angeles.I would like to spend a few days there and then go on to Las Vagas for a few days.I understand it is possible to do a day tour to the Grand Canyon from Las Vagas,and then fly to Heathrow.Is this schedule possible,and if so which cruise line would be the best.I don't mind what time of year I go as I am sure the longer Alaskan cruises will be on certain dates only.I also don't mind what ports of call I visit in Alaska as I am sure I will be in awe of all the wonderful scenery.

I understand the 2008 bookings for Alaska will be available shortly,so I need some advice before booking.I really don't mind which cruiseline,RCL,HAL, or Princess.We have recently come back from a cruise on the Infinity and I would happily use Celebrity again but because of all the pod problems I want to make sure there are no missed ports.At the moment I would like to start in Vancouver,spend a few days there and then do a land excursion,using one of the dome trains,then back to Vancouver and board the ship for a 13-14 day cruise ending up in Los Angeles.I would like to spend a few days there and then go on to Las Vagas for a few days.I understand it is possible to do a day tour to the Grand Canyon from Las Vagas,and then fly to Heathrow.Is this schedule possible,and if so which cruise line would be the best.I don't mind what time of year I go as I am sure the longer Alaskan cruises will be on certain dates only.I also don't mind what ports of call I visit in Alaska as I am sure I will be in awe of all the wonderful scenery.

The 13/14-day cruises from Vancouver to Southern California are only at the end of the season in September - and I've seen them only on RCI and Celebrity. Unless you're flying from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back on a charter flight - it isn't a day trip. It is about a 5-hour drive from Las Vegas to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon - so you want at least 1 overnight there.

Hi there

Your cruise sounds like what we planned in the early stages and I think you need to look at the Celebirty brochure as they cruise California and Alaska although I can't remember from which port as I no longer have the brochure.

As for Vegas, you can take a helicopter trip to the Canyon from there but to drive is 5/6 hours each way. We are therefore hiring a car and doing this overnight.

The main direct flights back to the UK from Vegas are with Virgin. BA connect you through Dallas.

Found the brochure. From Vancouver the cruise is to San Diego (September). If LA is a must then it starts in LA and finishes in Vancouver (May)

Ooh and flights to and from Vegas from London to Gatwick not Heathrow with Virgin.

Thank you all for your quick responses.I now know that I have to go in September and have the choice of Celebrity or RCL,is that correct? I don't know where I got the idea I could see the Grand Canyon in one day,so what is the suggestion if I end up in Las Vegas I really can't miss seeing this wonderful sight,so how do I get to the Grand Canyon? Do I fly there,and if so where do I stay for a night or maybe I need two nights.After the Grand Canyon what is the best route back to the UK.I would prefer to fly British Airways,so do I then fly back to Las Vegas and then on to Dallas and finally Heathrow.

Thank you all for your quick responses.I now know that I have to go in September and have the choice of Celebrity or RCL,is that correct? I don't know where I got the idea I could see the Grand Canyon in one day,so what is the suggestion if I end up in Las Vegas I really can't miss seeing this wonderful sight,so how do I get to the Grand Canyon? Do I fly there,and if so where do I stay for a night or maybe I need two nights.After the Grand Canyon what is the best route back to the UK.I would prefer to fly British Airways,so do I then fly back to Las Vegas and then on to Dallas and finally Heathrow.

If you're comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road, you could rent a car and drive to the Grand Canyon to and from Las Vegas - which is what we did. There are hotels in the towns outside the entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon - but we opted to stay inside the park at the least expensive lodge that had air conditioning - which was the Yavapai Lodge: http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/grandcanyon/

Holland America has three 10/11-day cruises from Vancouver to California.

Zaandam - Vancouver to San Diego: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070919:X731A:ARX012&dest=A

Volendam - Vancouver to San Diego: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070921:V743A:ARV011&dest=A

Zuiderdam - Vancouver to Los Angeles: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070922:U745A:ARU110&dest=A

Englishmum, You are very wise to be worried about the Celebrity ships (Infinity, Millennium & Summit) when it comes to an Alaskan cruise. Even as I write this the Infinity is again going through a long span of pod problems and have just announced a cancelled port for the first trip to Alaska this year.

You might consider a back to back cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver. If time permits you could also work in a few days on land between cruises an then sail back on a different ship or even different cruise line. My two favorites are Princess and Hal for seeing Alaska. These cruise lines have more expereince in cruising Alaska and seem to have a genuine interest in getting you to all ports and have a good record as far as not skipping ports in Alaska.

You can take a day trip by helicopter to the canyon direct from Vegas. If you google canyon tours you will get some ideas. Most tours will do hotel to hotel transfers, helicopter trip, lunch and some champers.

If you hire a car and drive there, you'll be best to stay overnight and if you look up the grand canyon park, there are hotel/camping options on the website. As I have said before it is about a 5/6 hour drive to the canyon but you can see the hoover dam and other sights en route too.

Yes, currently the only way to fly with british airways back to the uk is via Dallas Fort Worth. You'll probably be on an American Airlines flight to Dallas and then BA into heathrow.

We're flying Virgin simply because it is a long flight back to the uk and we can't be bothered changing planes.

There is loads of planning, not only in a cruise but we've found planning vegas a big job too.

We looked at Celebrity but their problems put us off. We are therefore going with Holland America Line rountrip from Vancouver and then taking the short direct flight from Vancouver to Las Vegas which is only 2.5 hours long.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

My best bit of advice would be work out exactly what you want to do and what you want to see then take it from there.

Thank you for all the suggestions,they have been a great help.I think I might book with RCL from Vancouver to LA,and I now know that it will be in September.I did phone RCL today and they are expecting the 2008 Alaskan cruises to be available from tomorrow.My logic in seeing all these places is that I will only be going to that part of the world once and would like to see as much as possible.

Does anyone know the best way to get from LA to Las Vegas,are there daily trains,and buses?Can you arrange the daily flight trips to the Grand Canyon from any of the Las Vegas hotels?

i would just fly from 'vegas to LA. bus would be long, hot and miserable. the desert is not that beautiful along the highway. just dirt & dust. to see the beauty of the desert takes going to off-road areas. very few towns, the ones that are there are not pretty. even in sept, the temps in that area could still be in the 90s to 100s F.

many of the bigger hotels in 'vegas have travel desks or concierge service. if you search the 'net you can find a lot of companies that do tours of the grand canyon. just remember, that area has a lot of wind...that could cancel a trip. most of them just buzz the canyon, i don't know if they land or not. part of the grand canyon is a national park with a lot of restrictions, other parts are indian land, also with restrictions.

i know they are working on the dam, but if tours are still available the history of hoover dam is interesting. (my dad worked on it). lake mead is a big lake behind the dam.

flying into flagstaff, driving up to the canyon, driving back and flying out of flagstaff could be time consuming. last time i was there flagstaff didn't even have an airport, but that was over 20 years ago.

there is so much to do in 'vegas, besides gamble...many have special rides, some have artwork...lots to do. for cheap flights out of 'vegas, check out southwest airlines.

Archived