Sailing fom NYC in July

KTEJ

We are sailing on the Spirit in July and were wondering how rough the seas are from NYC to Bermuda that time of year? All of my other cruises has left from either Florida or San Jaun and all but one have been relativiely smooth. My wife has a little problem with motion sickness which hasnt't been a big problem yet, but I have read some other treads that mentioned rough seas out of NY????

Weather, mainly wind conditions, determines how rough seas are. You can have a windy day, and therefore rough seas, on any day of a year. You can have a windless day, and therefore calm seas, on any day of a year.

During the summer season, weather fronts are few and far between, while during the winter seasons, fronts are many and more often. On a winter cruise, you'll probably experience both calm and rough seas on a week long cruise. On a summer cruise, you're more likely experience the same seas throughout your cruise. But the seas could be rough or calm.

During the hurricane season, from June to November, you could experience heavier storms and very rough seas around these storms. The Captain will most likely change your itinerary to avoid them as much as possible. But the Captain will often try to sail through these storms only to make your departure port, so you can catch your flight home, and embark new passengers for the next cruise. The storm will have to be very large for the Captain to delay arriving back to your depature port. You may get a longer cruise, but those on the next will have a shorter cruise.

We are sailing on the Spirit in July and were wondering how rough the seas are from NYC to Bermuda that time of year? All of my other cruises has left from either Florida or San Jaun and all but one have been relativiely smooth. My wife has a little problem with motion sickness which hasnt't been a big problem yet, but I have read some other treads that mentioned rough seas out of NY????

Seas are related to weather systems. We have traveled to Bermuda twice and hit rough seas both times because of bad storms. We have skirted two hurricanes on other cruises and have had 40 foot seas on other trips and then have had cruises where we have had flat seas.

You can't predict what Mother Nature is going to do.

If there is a hurricane, they will go around it or change the itinerary all together. Safety comes first.

Happy sailing,

Monty

Archived