Has anyone flown into West Palm Beach?

jhawks

As I watch the airfare to Miami or Fort Lauderdale climb, I'm wondering what the drive from West Palm Beach to Miami is like? Is it worth the extra savings to fly into there, then rent a car to drive to Miami? About how long does it take? I know it says about 70 miles, but sometimes that can be a LONG 70 mile trip!!

Thanks!

We flew out of West Palm Beach last February and have driven from West Palm to Miami on a previous trip. The airport is small, not very crowded and easy to navigate - returning the rental car was a breeze so I'd imagine it would be easy checking one out.

Go for it - just take the interstate if you need to get to Miami fast. I'd budget an hour and a half driving. We had tons of time and drove down along the water, which was a fun way to see the area.

Thanks so much! Did you stay in that area? I'm looking at a flight that doesn't arrive until 12:07...am!! and am wondering about just staying in that area & then driving on to Miami after some rest. Any suggestions for hotels for 6 people...4 adults & 2 teenagers?

I flew into West Palm Beach (PBI) last year for my cruise out of FLL. Next week I'm flying into FLL for my cruise out of MIA. Its very common to get a one-way rental car when you arrive and drop it off at the airport of the city you're sailing out of. I always fly in a day ahead of time and enjoy the use of the rental car until the next morning. By all means, take the cheapest flight into South Florida; you're saving money from the get-go. The rental car is comparable and/or cheaper than ground transfers and nice to use for shopping, sight-seeing, or going to dinner the night before your cruise. The Sleep Inn Dania Beach is a good choice for a pre-cruise 1-nighter for cruises out of FLL. Supermarket and restaraunts across the street and a great, free breakfast with hot & cold foods. They have a free shuttle to/from both the FLL airport and cruisepier. This year we're staying north of SouthBeach, though I was tempted to stay at the Sleep Inn Dania Beach again. Didn't want the stress of driving from FLL to MIA the day of the cruise. Time wouldn't of been a problem with a 5PM cruise departure, but why risk trouble? Because of all cruises sailing out of FLL and MIA, questions are asked over and over, ad nausem, about getting to and from PBI/FLL/MIA. With a MINIMUM of planning, you CAN get there from here! Shop around online for the best combination of airfare, rental car, and hotel choices. Utilize free shuttles provided by hotel and/or rental car company. You can fly in, pick-up your rental car and drop it off at the next airport. Then, for the cost of a tip, you can get "free" shuttle rides to the hotel or cruiseport from the hotel and/or rental car companies that provide them. The thing to remember is to allow yourself enough time to make ALL connections. You know when your cruise and flights leave, so plan accordingly. When your cruise returns, as all good things must end, you just reverse the process and catch a shuttle back to the airport and pick-up your rental car again.

Archived