Need help deciding - Seabourn Pride or Windstar Windsurf

summerjoy

Hi, I have been on many of the large ships but my husband is new to cruising. I have finally convinced him to try one! I have always wanted to try a smaller more luxurious ship in the Caribbean. We are both in our late thirties, have two children (but are leaving them behind). We want to go in November 2007 either on the 7 day cruises on the Seabourn Pride or the Windstar WindSurf. Can anyone offer me insights that can help me decide? From what I have read so far they both offer excellent service and food. I am leaning toward the Pride because: the cabins in my price range will be larger on the Pride, includes alcohol and beverages, I like seeing my husband in a tux. I like the Windsurf so far because it appears that it might be a younger crowd, I have never been to the Ports of Call, seems like a good value but then again cabins seem small. On the Windsurf might have to get a suite. Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing your opinion on either ship. As you can see, this decision is keeping me up at night! I am going to post the same question on the Windstar board.

I did the Southern Caribbean on the Pride and love it. The Windstar ships are not true "sailing" ships. Check out Clipper Cruise lne for upscale sailing ships. The Royal Clipper is seen in my Pride photo album in my signature.

One word of warning on the Windstar line. It is being sold and thing may go up or down with the new owners. I would check the posting on the Windstar forum for their opinions.

Have a great cruise whatever way you go.

You will see all ages on SB...but i admit that most are what you would call middle aged. We have found younger people on most Carib. cruises...from the 20's thru to the 40's. You just never know what the mix might be. For what it is worth. Our daughter was concerned about this..and found that she enjoyed the older people more..on both of her cruises..she did not spend a fraction of her time with the younger cruisers. Of course the very wonderful and personable crew and staff are young, and you will enjoy them. You would enjoy SB..there is just not a reason not to.

There are some major differences between the lines. Windstar does not have any sort of balconies and the windows are small. The cabins are, almost always, smaller and not as nicely appointed - including bathrooms.

The service is good, but not near the level of Seabourn.

Windstar is not all inclusive (though the bottom line is really what you should look at for pricing).

You can't cruise at the same speed, so your ports may not be as varied.

Windstar is informal and you don't have the opportunity to dress.

You do get a mix of passengers on both lines, but Windstar will probably be a bit younger. That does not mean more interesting, more fun, more adventurous, etc., however.

Also, Windstar has been sold and the line is that all will remain the same for now, but clearly things may change; hopefully for the better...whatever that means.

How's that for a start? Need more insight, just ask away.

There are some major differences between the lines. Windstar does not have any sort of balconies and the windows are small. The cabins are, almost always, smaller and not as nicely appointed - including bathrooms.

The service is good, but not near the level of Seabourn.

Windstar is not all inclusive (though the bottom line is really what you should look at for pricing).

You can't cruise at the same speed, so your ports may not be as varied.

Windstar is informal and you don't have the opportunity to dress.

You do get a mix of passengers on both lines, but Windstar will probably be a bit younger. That does not mean more interesting, more fun, more adventurous, etc., however.

Also, Windstar has been sold and the line is that all will remain the same for now, but clearly things may change; hopefully for the better...whatever that means.

How's that for a start? Need more insight, just ask away.

Just to confuse the issue - also look at SeaDream - it's small, all inclusive and tends towards a younger crowd. I would not consider Windstar a luxury option at all.

We have taken both the Pride (twice) and the Windsurf (once) and are also in our late 30's. The average passenger age on Wind Surf was lower by about five years. All cruises were in December and there were no children on board either ship (except three or four on the second Pride voyage).

Both are very nice cruising experiences. If you want to try each of them, take the Wind Surf first because after you take the Pride, the Wind Surf won't seem nearly as nice.

Wind Surf is a prettier ship on the exterior and offers a smoother ride. The pool is situated in a better spot. The watersports are included more often.

The regular rooms are much larger and better supplied on Seabourn (Don't be misled by those who say, "Oh you're never in the room on a cruise." People who are "never in the room" aren't in the room because it's too small to enjoy comfortably.). The food is much better on Seabourn (more dining venues and the opportunity for special orders). The staff is more professional on Seabourn. Gratuities, beverages (alcoholic and soft drinks) and a wonderful beach party (with champagne and caviar served from a float in the water) are included on Seabourn. Seabourn offers hosted tables at dinner (completely optional) which makes it very easy to meet fellow passengers.

Seabourn is superior.:)

johnny

Just to confuse the issue - also look at SeaDream - it's small, all inclusive and tends towards a younger crowd. I would not consider Windstar a luxury option at all.

I thought I posted this earlier, but it must have disappeared: Fair Comment. The cabins are smaller, but it is a good product and worth considering probably more so than Windstar.

I thought I posted this earlier, but it must have disappeared: Fair Comment. The cabins are smaller, but it is a good product and worth considering probably more so than Windstar.

Those posts do seem to dissappear sometimes~

Oh yeah, the suites are definatetly smaller on SeaDream - and I agree that they are a great option for a younger crowd. Windtar doesn't really seem like a suitable comparison.

Those posts do seem to dissappear sometimes~

Oh yeah, the suites are definatetly smaller on SeaDream - and I agree that they are a great option for a younger crowd. Windtar doesn't really seem like a suitable comparison.

Okay...you are paying attention. Obviously...either of the suggested are great. You can easily make a determination..as both are wonderful...formal at times..SB....casual always...SeaDream.

Thank you to everyone that has responsded so far. It really helps. I did look at the Seadream but in November they only have a 5 or a 9 day Caribbean Cruise. This time I need a 7 day cruise. I am leaning towards the Seabourn Pride 7 day cruise. Tomorrow I present the options to my husband and we will decide this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Yvette

Thank you to everyone that has responsded so far. It really helps. I did look at the Seadream but in November they only have a 5 or a 9 day Caribbean Cruise. This time I need a 7 day cruise. I am leaning towards the Seabourn Pride 7 day cruise. Tomorrow I present the options to my husband and we will decide this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Yvette

Congratulations on an excellent choice! ;) Just be warned: there's a very good possibility that you & your husband will be spoiled for cruising any other line! I hope your plans will permit you to get to your cruise a day early; much better to arrive early and be refreshed for boarding, than to worry about connections....

Seabourn just does it right. ;)

Paul

Archived