Using a TA to book group Cruise

JustJake

What is the benefit of using a TA to book a group cruise? I am booking a group for the 7/12/08 Miracle cruise out of NY. I called Carnival directly and I got the rates and the whole process seems pretty easy. What would a TA be able to offer that I can't get by dealing directly with Carnival?

Also, I am apprehensive to use one becuase when we took our first cruise a few years back we used a well know chain agency and I was not very happy with the service. And every time I called the cruise line (RCI) they would not speak with me and told me I had to talk to the TA.

Any opinons?

Thanks

Personally, I have used both TA and the cruiseline agents. However I found that I can book my own through any cruise site and things are fine. Pay for it all online..even insurance if necessary, I have never had any issues either way, but now I prefer just to do it on my own. ( 5 cruises ) The only thing the TA can do is sometimes refund you with on board credit IF your cruise price goes down, which is rare. I have booked our family on cruise sites and have received upgrades close to sailing.

just my opinion..

The only thing the TA can do is sometimes refund you with on board credit IF your cruise price goes down, which is rare.

I specifically asked the guy from Carnival if I could get a credit if the rates went down and he said yes. And from reading other posts it seems like we the cruisers need to keep track of prices and call the TA if we notice a reduction. So it seems like it would be just as easy to contact Carnival directly..

I guess I wonder about rates...Are there some secret TA rates that we can't get. I mean other than military and senior citizen rates and group onboard credits and a free passenger for every 8 cabins, all of which I covered when I spoke to Carnival directly.

I guess I wonder about rates...Are there some secret TA rates that we can't get. I mean other than military and senior citizen rates and group onboard credits and a free passenger for every 8 cabins, all of which I covered when I spoke to Carnival directly.

A TA can (though isn't required) refund some of their commission.

Our first group cruise got cancelled. It was on the Celebration out of New Orleans. The ship had caught fire a few weeks prior to our cruise. We found out on Monday that we would not be leaving on Thursday for our cruise.

Our TA got us moved to the Destiny (at the time, a new ship) for the same price. We got 50% of our money back. We got upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony room. We had Carnival air on that trip. She got us moved from New Orleans to Miami for the same price (it was about $100 more). We got to stay at the Wyndham in Miami for one night before the cruise and one night after the cruise for free.

AND........

When we got back she got us an additional 50% off a future cruise.

You'll find opinions all over the place on this topic. And there are good TA's and bad TA's. And problems like we ran into are rare. But I was sure glad we had a TA in this case.

If you have never booked a group before, I highly recommend using a TA that specializes in groups. It is nothing like booking an individual reservation...payments, names, dining , cancellations etc are all very different. In addition, you will be doing ALOT of work and in the end, be blamed for any (and I mean any) little thing that goes wrong. With a TA..any member of the group can give the TA payments,ask questions etc. I book alot of groups, and wouldn't want the responsibility with friends and family if I did not have the experience. Just my humble opinion...

A TA can (though isn't required) refund some of their commission.

The good travel agents actually earn their commission and provide service to benefit the client (not rebate their commissions).

I work very hard for my groups. Generally I prepare a group flyer / brochure for them (not all groups need them). I maintain the group list, individual preferences & special needs, arrange for birthdays / anniversaries, handle the bookings, answer questions. I work with the ship's coordinator to arrange group functions and events. I send out confirmations, brochures and insurance flyers. And I'm very accessible to each of the groups' guests. This is just to give you an idea of what the group leader doesn't have to do when they take advantage of the professional services offered by a travel agent.

Archived