1st cruise - have passports and questions

TwinCruiserMom

Just received our passports - it took 10 weeks here in Ohio. I was surprised that we only received the passports and not a plastic, protective slip cover to put them in. With what they cost we sure want to keep them clean and secure!

What do you do with your passports when you travel? Do you show them when you board the ship (we embark in Fort Lauderdale)? Do you keep them in your room safe? Do you take them when you leave the ship (western caribbean stops)?

I don't know whether to take the original passports off in the ports as they will all be beach days and I am so afraid they will get damaged. Should I just make copies of the passports and take off the ship in those ports?

Did you purchase a protective cover for your passport and if so where can I get these at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Kathy

We show ours at airport security checkpoints and when boarding the ship. We never take them off the ship at ports; we take our driver's licences instead. We purchased one of those travelers document holders; the type that hang around the neck. While we keep them in that, it is usually in a handbag or shoulder bag; rarely around the neck. Bon Voyage!

Passports are remarkably rugged. No cover needed.

In general you should carry your passport as identification in any foreign country.

If you're worried about losing it, scan the page with your photo and e-mail it to yourself in an account (yahoo, g-mail, hotmail, etc.) that you can access through the internet. Printing out that page can speed up the process of getting a replacement.

It's a good idea to make a couple copies and leave one at home and take one with you.

If you get left in the port and have to fly home you would need to have your original passport. If it should get stolen in port you could still have a copy in the safe.

It's also a good idea to make copies of your credit cards.

You can order a passport wallet at Magellans.com

http://www.magellans.com/store/Wallets__Purses___Totes___Document_OrganizersLB913?Args=

Hi!

I know that both K-Mart and Staples have passport wallets in their luggage sections. We found a great one for our son (at K-Mart) when he took Christmas break in Europe. We always take our passports off with us in ports. If we were going to the beach, we'd take photos, but for snorkeling - it's been safe to leave our passports in backpacks on the boats (our risk).

Shar

What do you do with your passports when you travel? Do you show them when you board the ship (we embark in Fort Lauderdale)? Do you keep them in your room safe? Do you take them when you leave the ship (western caribbean stops)?

I don't know whether to take the original passports off in the ports as they will all be beach days and I am so afraid they will get damaged. Should I just make copies of the passports and take off the ship in those ports?

Kathy

When traveling in this hemisphere, we leave our passports in the room safe. We have never had a problem. If you are really worried, carry a copy or better yet, email the copies to yourself. You'll be able to access them from any computer if you need them. If you stay out of trouble in port ;) and make it back to the ship in plenty of time, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would not recommend taking your original passport off of the ship when in port. Keep them in the safe in your cabin. Make several photocopies and take a photocopy of it with you when you leave the ship. Also, keep several extra copies for yourself and leave one at home with family.

Another good idea is for each party to carry a photocopy of their own passport in ADDITION to their spouses or travel companions....that way all bases are covered in case of a loss. This is especially good for trips to areas in the world such as Europe, Asia, South America, etc. When we travel, my husband carries a photocopy of my passport as well has his, and I do the same. We always leave originals in the hotel safe as well.

You can buy a leather passport holder in any luggage store for about $10, but I have found that the "neck wallets" mentioned in a previous post work better.

Archived