cruise insurance

mielyse

I know that the boards don't allow giving out names of travel agents and it probably applies to trip insurance providers, but can someone tell me a way to check and make sure that the companies we are thinking of using are legitimate, quality companies? Thanks

Check out www.insuremytrip.com. They will list all of the companies and also give their ratings.:)

The ratings shown there are for the underwriter, not the insurance company. You could see an A+ rating meaning that the underwriter is sound financially and still be dealing with a company with horrible customer service.

That being said, all of the companies shown in insuremytrip and the other major comparison sites are legitimate in that they are regulated and approved by the Departments of Insurance in all 50 states so you have protection there.

Hi,

I'm wondering if I should include the cost of what my airfare would cost from California to Europe, as I am traveling on a frequent flyer ticket. Does anybody know? I guess I can ask the trip insurance company as soon as I sleect one.

Thanks,

Andrea: Most insurance companies will not "insure" a frequent flyer" ticket obtained by the "point" system. Do check with the company you select, just to be sure. Read lots of info here on CC about insurance by doing a "search", since there is lots of information about the different companies.

If you booked through a travel agent, check with them or AAA. I checked with the other companies they list on these boards. AAA deals with one of the same companies for the same price or cheaper. So, I just set it up through AAA.

One thing to remember, if you are traveling to Europe, is get the best insurance you can afford. I would advise against going the less expensive route. Better to protect yourself in case of a dock strike or anything else that may come up. I've used CSA and it has been recommended by other CC users as well. No, I don't work for them, but I have heard they have very good customer service and claims handling, if needed.

I appreciate the input. I think I have used CSA before, also TravelGuard and last cruise was TravelEx ( I think) the company affiliated with American Express ( I do not sell insurance) I booked my cruise and made all arrangements myself so the only insurance I could get from the TA would be for the cruise portion (Princess insurance). I prefer to get full coverage rather than purchase through Princess as I did not use their air, land tours, hotels,etc.

I will look into the search suggested on this thread.

Thank you,

Andrea

Archived