Best Volcanoes National Park tour?

TimATL

I'm trying to decide between the Kilauea Lava Viewing Hike, the Kilauea Volcano Hike and the Hawaii Volcanoes Nature Deluxe.

The first two are classified category 3 activity level, while the Nature Deluxe is a category 2. I'm an active 33 year-old, so I don't mind the exercise, but my goal is to see as much as possible. If I can accomplish that on foot, so much the better. But if I'll see more on the Nature Deluxe (i.e. more driving to more diverse spots and less walking) then I'd prefer that.

Nature Deluxe (from what I understand) is a slightly smaller group, 10 instead of 15, which might account for the higher cost. I don't mind the extra cost if the tour is better though.

Lava viewing is my first goal. All three tours are 6 hours and leave at approximately the same time (around 9am). There is no possibility of a later tour during the optimal dusk/evening viewing time as our boat leaves port at 6pm.

I called the NCL shore excursion booking desk, and the operator was of little assistance in helping me to distinguish the differences between these three tours. Can anyone who has actually been on one or more offer some advice?

Thanks!

I'm trying to decide between the Kilauea Lava Viewing Hike, the Kilauea Volcano Hike and the Hawaii Volcanoes Nature Deluxe.

The first two are classified category 3 activity level, while the Nature Deluxe is a category 2. I'm an active 33 year-old, so I don't mind the exercise, but my goal is to see as much as possible. If I can accomplish that on foot, so much the better. But if I'll see more on the Nature Deluxe (i.e. more driving to more diverse spots and less walking) then I'd prefer that.

Nature Deluxe (from what I understand) is a slightly smaller group, 10 instead of 15, which might account for the higher cost. I don't mind the extra cost if the tour is better though.

Lava viewing is my first goal. All three tours are 6 hours and leave at approximately the same time (around 9am). There is no possibility of a later tour during the optimal dusk/evening viewing time as our boat leaves port at 6pm.

I called the NCL shore excursion booking desk, and the operator was of little assistance in helping me to distinguish the differences between these three tours. Can anyone who has actually been on one or more offer some advice?

Thanks!

If you want to view the active Lava Flow there is only one choice, the Kilauea Lava Viewing Hike, we have done this hike twice, in 2005 and 3 weeks ago. (See Pictures, Click to Enlarge).

<a href=2057220160079335670S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

I think the best way to see all that you want is to rent a car.

We did this both times we were in Hilo & will do it again in the fall.

The first time, there were 6 of us & we toured Volcanos National Park which was an amazing drive & easy to navigate with a map. We hiked out onto the lava fields & saw a live lava flow. (most amazing experience) We also had time to see Thurston Lava Tunnel & on the way back, the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. After that, we traveled back & followed the 7 Mile scenic Drive to Akaka Falls.

If you're travelling with others (safety in numbers) & don't mind driving, it's a great way to see exactly what you want. Hilo is not very big so you can cover lots of area in a day.

Aloha

How about the tour that does the Volcano National Park & the Rainbow Falls? Would you see lava? How intense (level of difficulty) is that tour? I would love to see lava too but I dont want to spend the entire day just trying to accomplish that. I would also like other things that Hilo has to offer. What do you think?

Please do not forget that the lava flow all depends on Madame Pele and what she wants to exhibit on a particular day. The active lava viewing conditions change on a daily basis. What may be active one day...will not be there the next. The best way to "attempt" to see flowing lava is to hook up with one of the tours....but if you read the fine print...there is NO guarantee.

Archived