Confused about sign & sail card

Sourismom

I was under the impression that I could just secure our onboard account/S&S card with a credit card and pay for anything I buy on the ship that way. So no need to carry as much as cash to the cruise. But I keep seeing people talking about putting money on their card. Do you have to set an amount or pay for it with cash?

Not everyone uses a credit card to secure the account, that could be why you hear them say they need to add money. Go to the Carnival website click on FAQ, then click on Access to money on board, then click on what is sail & sign. It will tell you everything you need to know. Hope this helps:)

A vast majority of passengers back their sign and sail card with a credit card, but some, who either don't have a credit card or prefer not to use them, use either cash or traveler's checks to back their SS card. Don't worry, the cruise line prefers you use your credit card.

Sourismom,

Be aware that cruise lines put a "hold" for x amount per day, per person, on your credit card. Be careful of your credit card limits. Sometimes people get caught short on shore ,because the hold eats up your available credit and the purchase you are trying to make would exceed it. ;)

Is that card also the key to the cabin???:confused:

Many times it is. Some of the older ships in lines we have sailed have separate cards, one for identification and charges and a separate one for cabin door.

Be careful to keep you cards away from any type of magnet as it will demagnetize the magnetic strip. Has happened to us more than I like to admit. My glasses have magnets in the frames to hold my sunglasses, and you can guess what happens when the glasses and card meet up in my purse or pocket.:(

Dianne

• 3 weeks later...

Archived