Tripods on Royal Caribbean ships

Teeara

I haven't found this question asked or answered before, so here goes: Is it okay to bring a camera tripod onboard? I use a high speed film to get better quality low light photos and the pictures can come out a little blurry due to my instability :D (but we will blame it on too much alcohol or caffeine!). Has anyone ever brought one onboard and if so, were there any problems in doing so? Thanks for the help!

I don't see a problem. I had brought one aboard Voyager in 12/2001 but only

used it one time. You might want to check with RCI or the particular port you are leaving from through.

I can't imagine a terrorist's weapon of choice being a camera tripod...

Well, Ray, since I'm cruising with you and the Hounds, I guess y'all will have to protect me! Gotta make sure the camera is steady for the Hound antics, y'know! :D

Actually, I need it for shooting ship interiors and night exterior shots. Need a longer exposure time and darn if I'm just not steady enough!

Not a problem to bring a tripod on board. However, on our last cruise we chose to use a unipod instead since it was lighter weight and easier to carry and was all the stability we really needed. We put it in our checked luggage. However, one of the CC members we met put a tripod in his carry-on and didn't have a problem getting through airport security.

We purchased a tripod in Grand Cayman several cruises back. Have taken it on at least 3 RCI cruises since then ... no problems. We do, however, pack the tripod (and all camera equipment). I think it telescopes down to a size to fit into our rolling "camera equipment" bag.

Bookit

We also brought our folding-though not exactly lightweight!- tripod on our recent Alaskan cruise. We set it up on the balcony and got great movies of the inside passage and Hubbard glacier. I have to beg my husband to bring it-okay I pack too much stuff and he is trying to get me to cut down-but now he is really glad we brought it.

-Laurie

Archived