Denali Train

Retired 07

My wife and I are taking a cruisetour (our 1st cruise!) next month in Alaska. We start in Fairbanks, take a bus to Denali, and then the Princess train to Whittier. I was wondering, are the train seats assigned? and are they two across from two? I would hate to spend the 9 hour trip going backwards. Does anybody know how the food is on the train? expensive? Can you bring your own snacks on board? Does the train stop anywhere?

Any info about this train ride (or the bus from Fairbanks to Denali) would be greatly appreciated.

One other question....since we are taking a southbound cruise from Whittier, is there anyplace, once you get off the train in Whittier to buy bottled water before you get on the ship? Are we allowed to carry bottled water onto the ship?

Thanks again for any info.

My wife and I are taking a cruisetour (our 1st cruise!) next month in Alaska. We start in Fairbanks, take a bus to Denali, and then the Princess train to Whittier. I was wondering, are the train seats assigned? and are they two across from two? I would hate to spend the 9 hour trip going backwards. Does anybody know how the food is on the train? expensive? Can you bring your own snacks on board? Does the train stop anywhere?

Any info about this train ride (or the bus from Fairbanks to Denali) would be greatly appreciated.

One other question....since we are taking a southbound cruise from Whittier, is there anyplace, once you get off the train in Whittier to buy bottled water before you get on the ship? Are we allowed to carry bottled water onto the ship?

Thanks again for any info.

As whalewatcher stated the booths are for four so someone will be facing "backward" - obviously, if you arrive at the booth first the choice is yours. ;)

There are no bad seats and you can wander around the train, out onto the viewing platform and so on.

DH and I did this exact itinerary in September 2005 and LOVED it.

The train cars from Talkeetna to Whittier are not as roomy as the Fairbanks to Denali Princess trains.

I highly recommend going to the dining car for breakfast on the Fairbanks to Denali end, it was very special. Crystal, china and a great menu.

You won't find anywhere to buy water once you get to Whittier, for one thing the train ride is very long and you will arrive late and there were no stores around (at least not that I saw in 2005) basically the train stops and the ship is there waiting. We literally ran onboard we were so excited.

You will love this cruise tour but expect to be exhausted when you arrive in Whittier - well worth it!

I have way too many pictures....the train, the bus, the lodges, the ship :D follow the link below. Have a great trip!

Sounds like you are taking a similar itinerary as us, except we will be on the Coral Princess...3 days land first (Fairbanks, Denali) starting June 8 then leaving Whittier on s/b cruise beginning June 11. Hope you post soon after you come home. I am anxious to hear your opinions about this trip as it is our first cruise also. THX!

Archived