Anyone booked the Maui Downhill Adventure for Sunrise?

tothill

I posted this on the NCL forum but thought I'd try here too.

I called NCL to book this and they're telling me they don't do the sunrise trip. So I called the outfitter myself and they tell me they do and that I have to book directly with NCL.

has anyone done this excursion?

Tothill,

How many days are you in Maui? If you are there more then one you can do this otherwise you won't have time and that is what happened when I was on NCL. I think the Pride stays two days in Maui and maybe the Wind on it's 11 day. You don't have to use that particular company if you don't want. I have a website for another wholesale company that might be able to help you and I may be using them myself when I am there in Sept. PLEASE keep in mind that you need to make sure they will pick you up in Lahaina if that is where you tender and you don't a car.

Vince

We overnight in Maui so this is definitely an option for us.

I tried booking with Maui Downhill direclty but they said they need the pier # in order to pick us up. NCL doesn't seem to have that information (or at least they're not giving it to me).

I'm going to wait a few more weeks and then try calling NCL to book with them. Maui Downhill tells me that they only officially started running the sunrise trip with NCL a few weeks ago so maybe NCL just hasn't updated their shore excursion listings.

not the end of the world. We have a car rented for the first day so worst case we'll just keep the car overnight and drive up ourselves to see the sunrise. We should still be able to get the car back to the airport before we run out of our 24 hour rental.

Mingo,

Here is the email address for the place. Give them a call and explain your situation. Make sure you tell them you need a pickup in Lahaina. The guy I talked to was named Jack I believe and he told me they could set it up. I may be calling them back myself before long to set up a trip.

http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/activities_maui.html

I will be on the POA this Sunday. I booked the sunrise bike tour direct with the Haleakala Bike Co. at www.bikemaui.com. I don't know if they come and get you at the pier since we are renting a car and will drive to the bike store. I liked this tour the best because they drive you up, take you around the park and then drive you down to 6,000 ft. and let you bike down at your leisure so you can stop at sights along the way. Can't tell you how it was because I haven't done it yet. I'll let you know.

Barb

Definitely, no problem, tothill. I also used Maui Downhill. There's a similar thread here somewhere. I thought they were great.

Again, PLEASE REMEMBER, all these companies are not created equal. I saw some doing unsafe things on the ride down. I'd get references before picking one.....I think there's about 20.

I did have one minor issue with Maui Downhilll. My online reservation got mixed up. Be sure to call them the day before. I was the only one on PoA doing it, I guess since NCL offers a non-sunrise option.

If you chose the 38 mile option, you'll also have a nice big breakfast to look forward to.

Have fun!

NCL does not offer the sunrise bike...the first one is at 9am. We are doing the 9 am (not early morning people) but it should still be beautiful. Dress warm...I hear it's pretty cold up there before sunrise!

Dear Tothill:

I did this with 5 other forthysomething adults. It was the highlight of our cruise and 2 weeks in Hawaii. It was a non-strenuous coast down the hill, although the views were a little intimidating but incredible.

Let me know what kind of info you are looking for.

Archived