Best way to tip

lgfromdg

When we were on the Jewel, we went to Spinnakers every night for a few drinks. We had a great waiter and I would tip him a few extra dollars on each bar tab. On the last night besides the additional tips, I gave him cash. Now I'm wondering if this was the best way to do it. Would it have been better (for the waiter) if I had just tipped him cash at the end of each evening, rather than add the additional tip on the tab? Or does NCL look at the additional tips and use this in evaluating the waiter's performance?

Just off the Dawn and we had several favorite waiters and bartenders. We tipped nightly as well but on the last night, we gave out envelopes to each person with a little thank you card and cash inside. We got hugs and big thanks from each person we extra-tipped.

TracyE

....not sure of how NCL evaluates a bar attendant based on whether a tip was added to the check, but rest assured, he doesn't see that entire tip when you place it on the tab.

If you appreciate the service, pass a few bucks their way in cash. We board with a stack of singles for room service and to have a few dollars in my pocket for those instances where a server goes above and beyond, even socially.

At dinner, we generally give $3 per person, in cash to a server that is exceptional.

Phone cards are loved by the crew too.

When DH and I get exceptional bar service, whether from a bartender or bar waiter, we give the extra tip in cash. I am not sure how the cruise line distributes additional tip that is added to the tab.

Giving cash I know the money goes in the right person's pocket. If we have gotten "friendly" with certain staff during the cruise, we will give a small additional cash tip at the end of the cruise. Sometimes in an envelope and sometimes just a few folded bills. I say small because those few extra dollars on each tab certainly add up.

Mentioning the person by name and where they work on your evaluation at the end of the cruise lets their supervisors know you appreciated their work. Positive reviews may result in additional time off, additional tip from the pool or even a promotion.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Thanks. After I got home, I started to think that maybe he wouldn't receive the entire amount that I gave as an additional tip on the bar tab. I won't make that mistake again. I did filll out an evaluation form on him during the cruise - since I read about that on the CC boards prior to my trip, I knew that it helps them out.

? what do you mean he/she doesn't recive the entire entra amount that you tip at the bar on the tab? where did you hear this?

Thanks...

That in fact can and will happen. Bar servers are paid on a draw against tips. $1000 a month. They only get the extra if they are above the minmum. Many of the bars like the specialty resturants pool their tips as well.

With cash a server can decide to put it in the pool or not. Even if they are having a slow month and not recovering the full draw they get keep the cash tip.

That in fact can and will happen. Bar servers are paid on a draw against tips. $1000 a month. They only get the extra if they are above the minmum. Many of the bars like the specialty resturants pool their tips as well.

With cash a server can decide to put it in the pool or not. Even if they are having a slow month and not recovering the full draw they get keep the cash tip.

Thanks...BTW the crew knows where to get phone cards for less than you pay for them that will work when they want them to. If you want to tip extra leave cash not phone cards not anything else...you can always leave a note with the cash...

Lots of good conversation here that forms the foundation for our personal thinking and preference. In addition:

PHONE CARDS: We normally make a significant gift at the end of the cruise to both stewards serving our cabin and cabin area. We find they are normally very friendly, professional, and provide great service. If I find a great deal on phone cards, which I have on several occasions, I'll throw in a couple of the them as well, and have also given them out to other special staffers. I treat them as "extra" gifts, and like to do that since they do not have too many alternatives to using them to call home. We've gotten some great feedback them when they had already used them, particularly when they told us they had talked to their children. Maybe they can buy them at a cost less than I paid, but the card in hand did not force them to make a choice to buy a card or not. I'm sure the recipients of the phone calls appreciated them!!

WAITER TIPS: We normally use both methods for tipping our wait staff, but any significant tips are done in cash. We do not tip on all our bar tabs, but will do so on occasion to demonstrate our pleasure with the server, to their supervisors. Since we understand such relatively small tips are shared, the sign to management will also help them advance, in addition to the care we take in naming special staff on our comment form. One particular staff favorite of ours told us how their performance was reviewed following each cruise, and she has received special rewards accordingly. One I recall was a dinner with senior management, and others included small parties with other staff, and special entertainment options.

Archived