Cell phone reception

vfb2girls

We currently have Alltel cell phone provider and was wondering how well our cell phone will work in Alaska. I am not familiar with what service is provided there. Living in ND we still have trouble finding a tower when we want to use our cell phone.

Buy a cheap calling card at Sam's Club. Forget about the cell phone. I see so many people walking around yaking on these electronic pests and failing to enjoy the beauty they paid to come and see. I'll never understand it. Just 10 years ago you could have stepped off the paved road in Ketchikan and heard the eagle's shriek or the raven's cackling at each other. If your really lucky you can pick out a black bear cubs whine from up in the trees.

Actually it's more pronounced. Like a baby crying for a bottle.

Now, we hear about Aunt Lillian's bunion. Or Fido's getting loose and terrorizing the neighbors cat. Not a darn thing you can do about it. It will still be going on when you get back. Please don't share that pabllum with the rest of Alaska. Let us enjoy the sounds that nature has to offer us and leaving your ear pests at home.

We would love to leave our cell phone home and not have to check in with the "real" world but we have a very sick relative here at home and if something does happen to her when we are on vacation we will have to cancel the rest of the vacation and fly home. That is why I was wondering about the cell phone reception, not so much for us to call home but for someone to get ahold of us.

Have you checked with your service provider to see whether that area of the Alaska coast is one of their 'covered' areas?

If they don't provide coverage, or if service is spotty, you can always leave information for relatives to contact NCL who in an emergency can always get word to you onboard.

And I agree that not everyone has the luxury of leaving their cell phones at home. We too will have to bring ours, and if we find there's no coverage, check in when we're in port.

Ann

Archived