Packing - Carry-on question

mlpreston

I know that toiletries have to follow the 3-1-1 rule, does this apply to cosmetics also? I'd like to pack mine in my carry-on, in a cosmetic case, and would rather not have to put them into a ziploc bag.

Any answers appreciated. Thanks

It does not apply to the cruise ship so this is what we do:

when we land at the airport we take the toiletry bag out of the suitcase when it comes off the conveyor. We then put the toiletry bag into our carry-on so the items are available even if our luggage is late getting to our cabin on the ship.

And as for the cosmetics, it depends on what you mean...powders and the like are fine traveling through the airport. Some airports give you a hard time about creams and lipgloss and even mascara.

The problem when flying is that the TSA is not consistent with it's own rules because each airport has it's own TSA management that interrupts the rules. What maybe alright in one airport may not get through the next. If you have any doubts about the item that you want to take pack it in your checked luggage. I am assuming your flying also.....

lol sorry, should have specified! Yes, I am flying.

I am trying to manage my packing accordingly. I have 3 checked luggage and 3 carry-on luggage to play with and I am still having a hard time fitting everything.

Any liquid must follow the 3-1-1 rule. lipgloss but not lipstick, liquid makeup, hand cream, perfume, eye drops, etc. - anything dry can stay in makeup bag

lol sorry, should have specified! Yes, I am flying.

I am trying to manage my packing accordingly. I have 3 checked luggage and 3 carry-on luggage to play with and I am still having a hard time fitting everything.

You sound like me,I cannot fit everything either:p I know i'm gonna end up with another checked luggage :sigh:

I was WONDERING THE SAME ??? What's the 3-1-1- rule??

I'd love to carry on my cosmetics and such....but i'm not PAYING TO REPLACE IT before its time either! lol...

3 checked and 3 carryon...OMG!! I CANT EVEN IMAGINE!! lol..:eek:

WHO HELPS YOU CARRY ALL THAT?

Can I ask what the 3-1-1 rule is?

Carry on rule for liquids and gels.

3 - No single container can have a capacity of more than 3 oz. And no you can't carry a half-full 6oz. container - the container size is limited to 3oz. You can usually get away with 100ml metric containers (about 3.25oz).

1 - 1 quart bag. All of your liquids must be placed into see-through, zip-up ONE quart bags.

1 - ONE bag per person. Bag must be outside of your luggage where it can be physically inspected if they so choose.

REMINDER: The "3 rule" appllies to aerosol cans too! I had a big can of Static Guard that I was going to put in checked luggage. DH said I could put it in carry on. I INSISTED that I couldn't...DH snuck it in that bag anyway. Guess who got pulled over and had their can taken away :mad:

REMINDER: The "3 rule" appllies to aerosol cans too! I had a big can of Static Guard that I was going to put in checked luggage. DH said I could put it in carry on. I INSISTED that I couldn't...DH snuck it in that bag anyway. Guess who got pulled over and had their can taken away :mad:

Not fun to get pulled over. I was in front of a woman that got pulled over, they asked, Do you have liquid in there you did not show? She said ummmm NO, they opened up here carry on and she had 24oz bottle of water, in the trash it went.

Not fun to get pulled over. I was in front of a woman that got pulled over, they asked, Do you have liquid in there you did not show? She said ummmm NO, they opened up here carry on and she had 24oz bottle of water, in the trash it went.

What an idiot. She's lucky that's ALL that happened, especially considering she lied to the screener.

What an idiot. She's lucky that's ALL that happened, especially considering she lied to the screener.

It amazes me the # of people that try to get away with it. Have you seen the trash barrels they use. Perfume is the biggie. $100.00 bottle, in the blink of an eye, its gone.

It amazes me the # of people that try to get away with it. Have you seen the trash barrels they use. Perfume is the biggie. $100.00 bottle, in the blink of an eye, its gone.

Nothing amazes me. I fly all the time, and the stupidity of people at airports knows no bounds.

Nothing amazes me. I fly all the time, and the stupidity of people at airports knows no bounds.

Our last flight, a lady in front of us was pulled over, I guess she 'forgot' she had a knife in her bag - it was one of those fancy carved handled ones - but still, a KNIFE. No idea what happened after that we put our shoes on and were on our way and they had her over in a corner. Seriously, what did she think??? :rolleyes:

Our last flight, a lady in front of us was pulled over, I guess she 'forgot' she had a knife in her bag - it was one of those fancy carved handled ones - but still, a KNIFE. No idea what happened after that we put our shoes on and were on our way and they had her over in a corner. Seriously, what did she think??? :rolleyes:

That's just it, she DIDN'T think.

Not always the person carrying said carry-on is the stupid one.. I packed my carry-on went to bed get to the airport and low and behold my SO put sunscreen into my carry-on thinking it was his checked luggage. :rolleyes: I didn't mind so much because he always sets off the security beepers with his belt or shoes.. :D

Do you know if you have to put your meds. in a plastic bag in their original containers? Or is that the ship?

If your meds are liquid, they will have to go in a plastic bag AND be in their original containers. If they are in pill form, they should be in an original container to be on the safe side. Once you get to the ship, they do not have to be in a plastic bag. The 3-1-1 rule is for flying only.

Not always the person carrying said carry-on is the stupid one.. I packed my carry-on went to bed get to the airport and low and behold my SO put sunscreen into my carry-on thinking it was his checked luggage. :rolleyes: I didn't mind so much because he always sets off the security beepers with his belt or shoes.. :D

That reminds me of my last trip... we just went to a wedding that previous night and had a 6am flight the next morning so many of us stayed up all night and slept on the plane. Well, I along with 3 of my other friends still had our hair pinned up from the wedding... COUNTLESS bobby pins holding up hair up....

Needless to say, I completely didn't realize until I started approaching the XRAY machine. Yeah.. we definitely held up the group for quite some time. It was funny after the fact, lol.

Archived