Any Gastric Bypass Cruisers?

PammyHound

Sheryl, I haven't done a review but a lot of the group already has. I think there are several posted on the group's board so feel free to check them out! I'm not sure if there's anything else I could cover that somebody hasn't already done. When I got home the scale said I was up about 6 pounds but I think that was just fluid weight because in two days at home it's already gone. Plus my clothes were baggier by the end of the cruise so I know I lost inches which is the important thing! Have a great time in Orlando!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you not gaining too! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to all that have had the surgery, and good luck to the ones that are trying to get approved.

I had the surgery in March of this year, and have lost 86 lbs so far. I have gone from a size 22/24 in stretchy pants to anywhere from a 10-14, and medium tops.

This was the best decision that I ever made. I feel so much better. I still have about 25-30 more lbs. to go.

We went on our cruise when I was 9 1/2 weeks post op. I was really worried, but I didn't have any problem with any foods, and I tried quite a few (some that I probably shouldn't have). I usually had them bring me fruit for my appetizer, I ordered chicken or fish for my entre, and I got the sugar free dessert. Everything I had was excellent.

I am looking forward to our next cruise (probably in June) at my new weight, and all new clothes.

I have reserached Gastric Bypass surgery for three years and have finally decided to take the plunge. I am scheduled for surgery on January 11th, 2005. I have already been approved for surgery. Many people have what they call a "last supper" right before surgery, well I decided that I am going to have more than a last supper. I am going crusin'. So I leave on Carnival's Glory on New Years Day, and get back on January 8th. Then two days of major prep around the house (because I have a husband and 5 and 3 year old children to worry about after), and off for my surgery. I am going to fully enjoy my last fling with food as the old me - and then look forward to the new me. Just think, next January when we go again, I will be half the person I was the year before.

Congratulations to everyone who takes the initiative to battle the disease of Obesity!

:D

Rachel

Through another messageboard I read at Obesityhelp.com - It was posted that there is going to be the 2nd Annual Bypass Buddies Weight Loss Surgery Cruise & Conference from September 11-18, 2005. It doesn't state however, what cruise line, or where it sails from. Has anyone else heard of this cruise? I tend to only go on one cruise a year, but I would be interested in this one. Thanks.

Rachel

My sister had the surgery and cruised in Europe with us 6 months later. She did so much walking on tours etc. that she lost what she called 'healthy pounds', and felt great. Congratulations to everyone who has gone through this, and who is planning to- I haven't spoken to anyone who is sorry they did it.

Please explain something to me:

The dieting experts say that you MUST NOT have fewer than 1000 or 1200 calories per day (depending upon who's talking). They say that if you dip below 700 (?) regularly, your body will go into "survivial mode", think you're in a concentration camp, and will start to conserve calories rather than burn them. They also say it's unhealthy to lose more than 2 pounds per week.

Why, then, are these "rules" no longer "rules" for people who've had gastric bypass surgery? I assume that people who've had these surgeries eat fewer than 1000 calories per day -- isn't that the point? That you're physically unable to eat like you used to? And I certainly hear about people losing more than 2 pounds per week!

I just wonder how these two "worlds" can both be true together.

Please explain something to me:

The dieting experts say that you MUST NOT have fewer than 1000 or 1200 calories per day (depending upon who's talking). They say that if you dip below 700 (?) regularly, your body will go into "survivial mode", think you're in a concentration camp, and will start to conserve calories rather than burn them. They also say it's unhealthy to lose more than 2 pounds per week.

Why, then, are these "rules" no longer "rules" for people who've had gastric bypass surgery? I assume that people who've had these surgeries eat fewer than 1000 calories per day -- isn't that the point? That you're physically unable to eat like you used to? And I certainly hear about people losing more than 2 pounds per week!

I just wonder how these two "worlds" can both be true together.

MrsPete,

I prefer not to listen whatever the Media has to say to me about what to do in regards to weight loss. I prefer to listen to my physician and surgeon.

As far as the diet is concerned, initially your diet intake is very limited - in the first month you can have only blended foods, nothing at all that you can chew, but you need to focus on taking in as much protein as you can through things like protein shakes and stuff, which have a lot of calories. After the first month you gradually transition to other types of foods.

The rules about "survival mode" and the such apply to people who are dieting with a minimal amount of weight to lose. The idea is true, that is why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The idea behind gastric bypass though is that you eat food 3 times a day and drink throughout the day. Your body doesn't go into "survival mode" because it is still getting nutrition. Besides the food that I will eat, I will also be required to take a multivitamin every day, a calcium supplement, iron supplement and B-12 supplement.

Gastric Bypass not only restricts what you eat, but is malabsorptive - meaning that you don't absorb all of the food you are eating, this is what makes the vitamins necessary.

In response to the idea of not losing more than 2 pounds per week - again I would say that this idea applies to people with a minimal amount of weight to lose. For someone at 265 pounds like myself, on a "regular" diet I would lose more than 2 pounds per week. As soon as you fall off the diet wagon, you gain the weight you have lost and more because of the molecular component that is associated with adipose tissue, which is way to complicated for me to explain. The other reason behind the 2pound per week weight loss has to do with skin. Those of us who are facing Gastric Bypass are also facing future surgeries - plastic surgery, because when you lose weight rapidly as happens with a gastric bypass, your skin doesn't have time to reshape with your body requiring plastic surgery to remove excess skin (30 lbs in the case of one of my gastric bypass friends).

The rules that the media assigns to dieters do not apply to the morbidly obese. As someone who is morbidly obese, making the decision to have this surgery wasn't something I just jumped into. I have a 5 year old and 3 year old that need to have a Mommy as they grow, and with the way that I am now, it isn't going to happen. I know I face death with having this surgery, but I face death if I don't and I like my odds of dying because of the bypass better than my chances of dying by heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer. I hope this has answered your questions. If you have anymore feel free to post. I find that many people are misinformed about this surgery and I would love to educate people about it.

Yours In Weight Loss,

Rachel

I prefer not to listen whatever the Media has to say to me about what to do in regards to weight loss. I prefer to listen to my physician and surgeon..... I have a 5 year old and 3 year old that need to have a Mommy as they grow, and with the way that I am now, it isn't going to happen. I know I face death with having this surgery, but I face death if I don't and I like my odds of dying because of the bypass better than my chances of dying by heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer.

Wow! Thanks for giving me a better idea as to what you are thinking before taking this huge step! One of my best friends had gastric bypass June 1st and had lost 88 pounds already! She was in the 350 range. Can I ask how tall you are Rachel? 256 doesn't seem that big... I was 225 when I started my "new way of eating" on July 29th this year. I am down 30 pounds already. I have found so much support here on these boards! I know this is going to be the last time I have this much weight to lose. (I'd like to get 50 more off) I never want to have to look at having to lose 80 pounds again! I've just made up my mind to make a complete lifestyle change and stay with it.

Can I just ask though... didn't your physician push weight loss on your own 1st before surgery? I'm not in any way saying that surgery is "an easy way out"... I've had feeling of desperation myself where I would do ANYTHING to be thin again, but then feel sorry for myself and comfort myself with food and then feel worse. I understand the vicious circle those of us with weight issues have. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs... so FOOD was my "drug of choice." I guess even though I've had these feelings and personally have a friend who's been thru the surgery, I still have a hard time understanding.

I wish you luck and much happiness Rachel. You are brave for making this decision and I respect that completly. I hope I didn't come accross negative in any way. I pray for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery for you.

Jean

Wow! Thanks for giving me a better idea as to what you are thinking before taking this huge step! One of my best friends had gastric bypass June 1st and had lost 88 pounds already! She was in the 350 range. Can I ask how tall you are Rachel? 256 doesn't seem that big... I was 225 when I started my "new way of eating" on July 29th this year. I am down 30 pounds already. I have found so much support here on these boards! I know this is going to be the last time I have this much weight to lose. (I'd like to get 50 more off) I never want to have to look at having to lose 80 pounds again! I've just made up my mind to make a complete lifestyle change and stay with it.

Can I just ask though... didn't your physician push weight loss on your own 1st before surgery? I'm not in any way saying that surgery is "an easy way out"... I've had feeling of desperation myself where I would do ANYTHING to be thin again, but then feel sorry for myself and comfort myself with food and then feel worse. I understand the vicious circle those of us with weight issues have. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs... so FOOD was my "drug of choice." I guess even though I've had these feelings and personally have a friend who's been thru the surgery, I still have a hard time understanding.

I wish you luck and much happiness Rachel. You are brave for making this decision and I respect that completly. I hope I didn't come accross negative in any way. I pray for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery for you.

Jean

Jean,

In regards to my Dr. pushing weight loss on my own, I wouldn't be in the position that I am if my Dr didn't push weight loss on my own. My insurance company has strict regulations about proving that you have attempted dieting and have failed. I had to provide a laundry list of things that I have done to lose weight and provide documentation of my weight over the last ten years. If I could do it myself, I wouldn't have been approved for surgery.

Rachel- I think most insurances require that kind of documentation now-a-days. My friend's MIL had it last December. She spent most of the year jumping though insurance hoops to get it approved. Got it approved in late Oct and found out her insurance would not be the same after the first of the year. Normally her surgeon is booked out 6 months but they moved some things and got her in early.

She's doing fabulous, BTW. When I first met her she could just barely walk and was easily 400. When I saw her in May she'd already lost 100 pounds and was moving better but you really couldn't see that she had lost weight. Yesterday she went with us and walked all over a museum and the zoo, about 5 hours. She's done great. She's now down 150 and her weightloss really slowed down so they ran a test on her for body composition and found that her muscle mass has increased by about 20% in the past 4 months. she got there before my friend did and I wasn't sure it was her when I saw her because she looks fabulous.

You had mentioned the suppliments that you will have to take and I wanted to stress to you that you be very strict about doing that. I have not had the bypass surgery but I have lost a significant portion of my intestinal tract to crohn's. I'm not sure I want to meet the surgeon who would do a bypass on me. :D He probably got his license from a box of cracker jack. I lurk here because one of my best friends is really wanting to have this surgery next summer.

Anyway, I do know alot about what happens if you don't take those B12 suppliments because no doctor ever told me that as a crohn's patient I should take them. I also went through a mostly vegan period. Apparently I can't do that. I just kept getting more and more tired and my hair was constantly falling out. I finally got a new doctor who was fairly aggressive and rain a simple blood test. When we got the results she asked me how much B12 I was taking and about fell on the floor when I looked puzzled at her and said none. Now I take it twice a week and it makes such a huge difference. Everyday, I also take a chewable calcium and flintstones vitamin because I don't absorb big honkin pills like calcium and vitamins :rolleyes:

Tami

• 2 months later...

Archived