South Beach Phase 2

cruiseonly

• 5 months later...

I bought and read the South Beach Diet book yesterday. I was surprised that he did not mention in the Phase 1 about diet sodas (though he did briefly in Phase 2). Are they allowed during Phase 1 or does he prefer we don't drink them?? :confused:

Also, he mentioned we could use a low sugar prepared salad dressing, but he really doesn't say what "low sugar" is. I have never done Atkins or anything similar, so I'm kind of new to the low carb thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :o When you eat a salad out, he said to steer clear of the low fat dressings, but how do I know which regular dressings are good???

I bought and read the South Beach Diet book yesterday. I was surprised that he did not mention in the Phase 1 about diet sodas (though he did briefly in Phase 2). Are they allowed during Phase 1 or does he prefer we don't drink them?? :confused:

Also, he mentioned we could use a low sugar prepared salad dressing, but he really doesn't say what "low sugar" is. I have never done Atkins or anything similar, so I'm kind of new to the low carb thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :o When you eat a salad out, he said to steer clear of the low fat dressings, but how do I know which regular dressings are good???

This is from Phase 1 on-line:

BEVERAGES

Decaf Coffee and Tea

Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free sodas and drinks

Herbal teas (peppermint, chamomile, etc.)

Milk (1% or fat-free) and soymilk (low-fat plain). See MILK/DAIRY.

Sugar-free powdered drink mixes

Vegetable Juice

Note: caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added are allowed, but limited to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Salad Dressing - 2 TBS. Use those that contain 3 grams of sugar or less per 2 TBS. Best choices contain canola or olive oil. Low carb salad dressings may also be used if they meet these guidelines.

Good luck!

I buy this spray-on balsamic vinegarette dressing that requires very little to coat a salad.

I've been on Phase 2 for several months now. My weight loss has slowed to less than a crawl, but I'm not regaining any and I'm not constantly thinking about the diet.

Of course, I don't really have anything in the pantry anymore that shouldn't be there, so that makes it easier.

Mainly, I'm just avoiding potatoes, white flour, rice, sugar and caffeine. Even though the scale doesn't show it, my clothes are feeling steadily looser, so something is changing for the better. :D

I did this diet 2 yrs ago as I needed to drop 10 - 12 llbs. It really worked out well.

When I saw a few pounds disappear so quickly, I had the enthusiasm to increase my exercise program. Then some tight fitting clothes started to fit me again, and I felt on top of the world. With more energy, and satisfaction of losing a few pounds, it was evident that changing my eating habits were worth it.

Since I wasn't that much overweight, and ate fairly healthy, it was the boost I needed to shed those creeping pounds.

Yes, I did gain back about 8 lbs, and started the diet three days ago. We are cruising December 4th. Lirica, Southern Caribbean. I have a formal dress that I want to wear and my challenge is to wear it.

I took the advice from the book and 15 min. before my breakfast and dinner I drink a glass of Metamucil with LOTS of water. This diet is extremely constipating at first.

I miss the fruit the most from Phase 1, so that is why I waited until now when the fruit isn't is much in season for me.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My husband and I just started Phase 1 on New Year's Day... At the one week weigh-in, I had lost 9 lbs and my DH lost 13 lbs !! I couldn't believe it! It's one day later and I am down 10 1/2 lbs... I LOVE THIS DIET! I am not having any problems with the food choices and do not miss the starches or the sugar. Since I need to really lose 40 lbs total, I think I will remain on Phase 1 for a total of 3 weeks... Also, my energy level has skyrocketed !!

We are cruising Feb 10 and I want to be down at least 20 lbs..!

My husband and I just started Phase 1 on New Year's Day... At the one week weigh-in, I had lost 9 lbs and my DH lost 13 lbs !! I couldn't believe it! It's one day later and I am down 10 1/2 lbs... I LOVE THIS DIET! I am not having any problems with the food choices and do not miss the starches or the sugar. Since I need to really lose 40 lbs total, I think I will remain on Phase 1 for a total of 3 weeks... Also, my energy level has skyrocketed !!

We are cruising Feb 10 and I want to be down at least 20 lbs..!

GOOD FOR YOU!! I did SB a few years ago and had great success. I lost 10 lbs a month for 3 months and then 10 lbs over the next few months because I was almost at my goal. Isn't it strange how eliminating the sugar and starches from your diet makes you have no cravings? It was so easy for me and I also stayed on Phase 1 for 3 weeks although they say not to. When you go to Phase 2 just don't add too much too fast. I added one piece of fruit and one starch (wheat item) a day. I joined the online SB and it was worth it. You find updates on there that you won't find in the books. Plus you can go on message boards just like here and help others out or get answers to questions you might have. Keep up the good work!!!

YES! So glad there is a weight loss forum on here. I am new, but am also doing South Beach. My second time around. The first time I lost 70 pounds in about 7-8 months. This diet is great. I've been on phase 1 for 1 week and feel awesome! Has anyone else noticed that it helps with mood swings as well? This week was PMS week and I didn't gripe or cry at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am still doing the South Beach...I started on January 1 and I have lost 16 1/2 lbs so far! I did Phase I for 3 weeks but noticed that I was losing very little this last week. I figured that I wasn't eating enough so now I eat WeightWatchers wheat toast with the slightest amount of reduced-fat peanut butter for breakfast. I have also had a couple of small spoonfuls of rice with lunch or dinner a couple of times. That is really all I have changed and I see the weight starting to drop again. I really do love this way of eating.. I have found the most amazing and delicious sugar-free foods!! Who would have thought..... ???????

The best part was I went downstairs this morning where I store all of my clothes that don't fit anymore and now they do !!! At least I am down a size and things are not tight on me anymore... I felt so good getting back into some of those things...especially my old bathing suit! We leave for FLL 2 weeks from today for our 2/10 Liberty cruise and I am so excited !!

Archived