2 Cabins on hold, opinions please.

Casshew

I have a reservation on hold for 2 cabins, both on Deck 5, midship

1 x B4 Premium Balcony and 1 x D1 Atrium right across from it.

We are a party of 4, 2 adults, 2 x 14 year old girls, I am booking an adult/child per cabin but both girls will be in the Atrium Cabin once we get there and the adults will stay inthe balcony cabin.

I could have booked side by side balconies, but I wasn't comfortable with the girls being in a balcony cabin in the middle of the Atlantic! At least with the Atrium Cabins they have a bit of a view and I know they are safe.

So, any problems with this deck/location? I've requested early seating for dining and had them cross reference the reservations and indicate no upgrade (I don't want the our locations moved apart)

Putting down the deposit tomorrow, thanks in advnace for any tips/advice/reassurance :)

Sounds good, but do let your girls walk around Deck 7 on their own. One advantage of the Deck 8 and up balconies is that you can't fall, or jump, into the ocean from them. (No doubt a standing broad jumper will disagree, but good riddance to him if he succeeds.)

Paul

I forgot to mention this is the QM2, :)

I'm not concerned about the day, just sleepwalking at 2:00am!

Are 14 year olds asleep at 2:00am? Not likely, in their own cabin. But please don't worry about it. Remember way back when, when you were that age in similar circumstances. You turned out OK, they will have a ball, and they will thank you forever for taking them on the QM2.

Paul

I was an angelic child :p

PS, I read through Sebastian at Sea, what a purrfectly pampered kitty in his handsome lifevest. Your cruise blog is great reading. :)

Okay, I was looking at photos and I now see this is one of those hull balconies, I'm not thrilled - someone tell me they are enjoyable, not like being in a tin can?

Okay, I was looking at photos and I now see this is one of those hull balconies, I'm not thrilled - someone tell me they are enjoyable, not like being in a tin can?

Casshew, are you doing a cruise or a transatlantic crossing? If it is a crossing, most people find the sheltered balconies quite good. If it is a Caribbean cruise, you might prefer an open balcony.

Beth

It's the transatlantic, but it's in mid August, so I was assuming fine weather.

Stick with the cabins you've booked,

1. You'll enjoy your sheltered "balcony" (as I did on my TA) because you'll be sheltered from the wind and spray (this ship really shifts on a TA, the balconies higher up can be useless because of wind on a TA, on a cruise they'd be great however).

2. You won't spend much time in your cabin anyway, there is so much to do aboard.

3. If it's nice enough to lie in the sun you'll want to be on deck 7 or around one of the pools I promise you.

4, You've get a great set-up where you've looked at, I'd considered a similar arrangement at one stage when there were a party of us booked to travel, go for it!

And when you get back, let us know all about your voyage.

Thanks Pepper, you made me feel a lot better. I was going to get a price on an A3 and a D1 combo today, that would be Deck 12, but if you think Deck 5, sheltered and the Atrium would be better?

Hi

If you do go for the deck 12 cabins remember,

If any of your family suffer from seasickness they'll feel it more up there than down on deck 5. (August is better than winter but you can have storms at any time of the year)

Some feel shut in if they have no view at all (even an inside view is better than none for some)

I loved my deck 5 sheltered balcony for a TA, it was like having another room beyond my cabin, very private. OK I had to stand to see the sea. But unless you are lucky, the glass fronted balconies can be difficult to use when the ship is speeding across the north atlantic.

There is so much to do on this huge Liner that my guess is that you'll spend very little time in your cabins. Do try to see as much as you can fit in. The days will fly by.

Are you going westbound or east? Try to book port for west and starboard for east (the sunny sides of the ship).

Have a great time, you'll love this ship.

TA review here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

TA pictures here

http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn

If you do go for the deck 12 cabins remember,

If any of your family suffer from seasickness they'll feel it more up there than down on deck 5. (August is better than winter but you can have storms at any time of the year)

And the August storms are sometimes called hurricanes.

Okay, you are all going to think I am nuts (hence my name) but all morning I scoured the net for photos of the hull balconies, every pic made me feel more depressed - it's really just a 6 foot x 4 foot hole in the side of the ship. You can't see the sea when sitting down. I also didn't want to be down on deck 5 so anyway, a long story short ~ I ended up booking cabins on Deck 11.

An A2 Deluxe Balcony and a D2 inside straight opposite it, I am happy with the choices and feeling much better about the balcony, hurricane or not.

I want to thank you for all your help, the Cunard Board has a great group of posters :)

Thanks again, I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the future as this cruise is for Aug 19, 2008, Transatlantic. (I was surprised how booked up everything was already)

Cass

Okay, you are all going to think I am nuts (hence my name) but all morning I scoured the net for photos of the hull balconies, every pic made me feel more depressed - it's really just a 6 foot x 4 foot hole in the side of the ship. You can't see the sea when sitting down. I also didn't want to be down on deck 5 so anyway, a long story short ~ I ended up booking cabins on Deck 11.

An A2 Deluxe Balcony and a D2 inside straight opposite it, I am happy with the choices and feeling much better about the balcony, hurricane or not.

I want to thank you for all your help, the Cunard Board has a great group of posters :)

Thanks again, I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the future as this cruise is for Aug 19, 2008, Transatlantic. (I was surprised how booked up everything was already)

Cass

Hi Cashew!

I am booked on the QM2 June 8th '08 voyage out of New York-Europe-R/T

and I too was amazed at how many are already booked! I do not have a balcony though..........:p :(

Archived