Just back from the Glory 4/7

ccamp

Hi everyone!

We are back from our Glory-ous cruise and we are already suffering serious cruise withdrawal. If you have any questions let me know I will try to do a small review in a few days.

We did the western itinerary and we were in cabin 7451 empress deck aft balcony.

There were a lot of teenagers on this cruise over 100 just from a Michigan Senior class.

Carroll

There was a delay boarding our ship. The prior cruise was still getting of the ship as late as 10:30. We got to the pier about 12:45 and we were dropping our things off at about 1:30. We did not do the paperwork for the sail and sign card. We were instructed to do that later in the Golden dining room. I don't know if they do that all the time or not. It had not been my experience on any Carnival Cruise in the past.

On a side note the Disney ship that was docked next to the Glory had a bomb threat and many of those pax did not board until 3:30. Someone told me if they got onboard before the threat they stayed on but they did not let any others board. I don't understand the logic in that but I guess there is a good reason for it. I saw a number of those folks waiting at the car rental lot and sitting on busses. That was horrible for them and I hope they caught the jerk that did that

ccamp, i hope you had a good time. we are going on the glory in sept., just wondering what times your flight home were, we booked a flight out of orlando leaving @ 11:50 AM, just hoping we will be able to make it ok. thanks for any info and looking forward to your review.

I am going to be on the Glory in a few weeks and I would love to read more about your experience. Since my father lives in Orlando, I am flying in a day early and he will drive me to the pier - and then a day after before I fly back to Michigan. That will be enough time for me to do my laundry before I come home.

Since this is my first cruise, I am excited about how I will feel as I walk onto the ship for the first time. Is the experience the same for vetran cruisers as it is for newbie?

Anyway, any insights you can offer would be great. I have been with CC for a little while now and have gotten a ton of great tips and suggestions.

It is always impressive the first time you board a ship. I too are from Michigan and will be sailing Glory on 5/5/07.

My suggestion is to board early, say 10:00 am. Most of the time you can get right on. Then dump your carry on in your cabin and head for the Lido deck for some food and a drink of the day. Then explore the ship before muster time.

We were on the same sailing and we arrived early and were having a drink by the aft pool by 1130! Embark was a breeze for us, no lines or delays, pretty much walked right on. We usually arrive as early as possible. They had the doors in the hallways blocked off so we could not access our cabin before 1330. We had a corner aft and also watched the action on the Disney ship. Bomb squad and dogs until just before we left for our lifeboat muster.

Karen: I get excited everytime I see the ship I am about to board. I hope I never lose my sense of awe! Have a wonderful cruise!

Embarkation was a breeze. Got to the pier at about 11:15am. Onboard by noon. We did notice passengers STILL getting off the ship at that time. Cabins were not ready yet, but we just brought our carry-ons with us to the Lido Deck for lunch. If you are on the ship early, there were no lines for any of the food venues.....grill, fish and chips, deli so we took advantage of that!

Disembarkation was a mess.:mad: Luckily we did not have flights on Saturday. Those who had early flights self-disembarked. If you didn't you were out-of-luck. It took over 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours to get off the ship. This was a very UN-FUN SHIP ending. I read that this seems to happen alot on the Glory. The Disney ship next to us did not have issues so I doubt it was because of the port authorities. I think they call too many colors too quickly. If you are not in a hurry to get off the ship, wait in a public room as long as possible.

Would we sail on the Glory again because of this????? YES. Otherwise we had a fantastic time. Just wanted to give you a heads-up if you have to get to the airport before noon.

Thanks for the warning. This seems to happen to us about every other cruise. (long waits to disembark) It's just become part of the experience for us now. We don't sweat it, but we also do not plan any flights before 2 pm.

ccamp, i hope you had a good time. we are going on the glory in sept., just wondering what times your flight home were, we booked a flight out of orlando leaving @ 11:50 AM, just hoping we will be able to make it ok. thanks for any info and looking forward to your review.

Just so you know, that flight time is really pushing it for Port Canaveral and Orlando given the 40 minute ride to the airport. If there are any debarkation delays (late returning, exta-thorough customs, etc), you may miss your flight. The Glory returned late on my last time on her (high winds) and we barely made our 12:50 flight (and were in the first 20 off the ship).

My suggestion if you are going to keep your flight time ... make sure you can carry all of your luggage so you can do self-debarkation.

Does anyone know just how early you can get to the port? I am wanting to drop my party off around 10:30 or so and then take the car back to the hotel to park. Would I be able to drop them that early?

Does anyone know just how early you can get to the port? I am wanting to drop my party off around 10:30 or so and then take the car back to the hotel to park. Would I be able to drop them that early?

If the terminal that the Glory boards from is anything like the one that the Sensation boards from (or is the same, as they arrive and depart on different days) they can arrive as early as you want and wait through the line to get checked in (get sign and sail cards, etc.) and just take a seat in the waiting area, where you'll wind up anyway if you arrive at 11AM.

For the Sensation we arrived at 10:30AM both times.

Boarding began at 11:30AM in September and at 11AM in January.

Bill

I'm such a newbie! I've never been on a cruise before, please don't throw things at me when I ask these questions...I know there are on the FAQ section, but it's much easier to get real answers from real people.

1) I only live 3 hours from Cape Canaveral, but have heard you get better parking if you stay at a hotel that will let you leave your car in their parking lot while you are on your cruise...is this true?

2) Will they take my wine, rum, and drink mixers out of my checked bags?

3) Is it true you cannot bring on soft drinks any longer?

4) I am a blue jean baby, but have been told I cannot take them on the cruise...is this true for the entire cruise, or is it dress code for certain nights?

5) Any tricks of the trade to get "freebies"? (I've heard there are lots to be had, but no one ever share how to get them.)

6) If there is 1 thing I MUST do/see/or bring on this cruise...what is it?

7) Can I bring my own snorkle gear, or must I rent it?

8) This is our 10 year anniversary, can anyone recommend a special something I can either bring aboard for my husband or have delivered? (He told me not to, but I've never listened to him in the past...why start now?)

9) Has anyone ever had their cabin upgraded by taking the option that says you are guaranteed one cabin or better? (We have a balcony cabin with this guarantee.)

10) Are their any superstitions surrounding cruising I need to be aware of (not that I'm superstitious, but I love hearing them)?

I tried posting this elsewhere but have been ignored so far....I'm nervous and just want it all to go perfectly.

Thanks all!!

I'm such a newbie! I've never been on a cruise before, please don't throw things at me when I ask these questions...I know there are on the FAQ section, but it's much easier to get real answers from real people.

1) I only live 3 hours from Cape Canaveral, but have heard you get better parking if you stay at a hotel that will let you leave your car in their parking lot while you are on your cruise...is this true?

Problem with that is you must wait for space on the shuttles returning to the hotels. If you don't mind the wait it will work fine. We parked in the parking garage.

2) Will they take my wine, rum, and drink mixers out of my checked bags?

We had vodka in our checked bags and it made it on fine. I also carried on one bottle of wine and a 6-pack of soda...no problem.

3) Is it true you cannot bring on soft drinks any longer?

4) I am a blue jean baby, but have been told I cannot take them on the cruise...is this true for the entire cruise, or is it dress code for certain nights?

They discourage jeans in the dining room, otherwise you are free to wear them.

5) Any tricks of the trade to get "freebies"? (I've heard there are lots to be had, but no one ever share how to get them.)

Free deck of cards at the pursers desk, as well as a large post card of the ship.

7) Can I bring my own snorkle gear, or must I rent it?

We took our own.

8) This is our 10 year anniversary, can anyone recommend a special something I can either bring aboard for my husband or have delivered? (He told me not to, but I've never listened to him in the past...why start now?)

They have room decorations available through Carnival. Check out the selection on their website. You can also carry on a bottle of champagne.

9) Has anyone ever had their cabin upgraded by taking the option that says you are guaranteed one cabin or better? (We have a balcony cabin with this guarantee.)

Never done a guarantee. We always choose our cabin.

10) Are their any superstitions surrounding cruising I need to be aware of (not that I'm superstitious, but I love hearing them)?

I tried posting this elsewhere but have been ignored so far....I'm nervous and just want it all to go perfectly.

A cruise is what you make of it. There is usually a glitch somewhere along the way; just go with a good attitude and open mind, you will have fun!

Thanks all!!

You are welcome!

There are many nautical superstitions for sailing in general. The ones that comes to mind are that if you change the name of a ship, or if the bottle of champagne does not break the first time at christening, the ship will be doomed!

I doubt that any apply to the Glory!

I live in Sarasota and depending on how fast I make my dh drive to PC we will hopefully arrive early. I am fine with waiting at the port. I've waited this long, what's a few minutes more to board the ship. I really enjoy getting on early and browse the ship before it's full. It's nice to find your way around when it's not so crowded! I really enjoy all the great things I am reading about the Glory.....keep em comming.

I am going to be on the Glory in a few weeks and I would love to read more about your experience. Since my father lives in Orlando, I am flying in a day early and he will drive me to the pier - and then a day after before I fly back to Michigan. That will be enough time for me to do my laundry before I come home.

Since this is my first cruise, I am excited about how I will feel as I walk onto the ship for the first time. Is the experience the same for vetran cruisers as it is for newbie?

Anyway, any insights you can offer would be great. I have been with CC for a little while now and have gotten a ton of great tips and suggestions.

Karen.

Im a veteran and here is how I feel everytime I walk across the gangway into my ship...like Im going to pee my pants!!!! I love cruising, Im like a kid in a candy store. We are heading out on the Glory either 6/23 or 7/7, trying to get my DH to let go of the cash and book us. DH and kids just did there passports so the 6/23 is right at the 10 week window and Im alittle nervous about that date so me may play it safe with 7/7. Either way, Im ready to go. You are gonna have a blast, prepare to me in ahh with everything.

Stay on this site, it provides tons of insight...you will have to sift through somethings as we all like different things and have different opinions but all in all a great site.

Just off the 4/7 Glory also. Did the self-assist and had a towncar waiting (Tiffinay) for us at 8:30 am. At the airport at 9:30am for a 1:00pm flight. I should have printed out my boarding passes on the ship but was too cheap to pay for internet access thinking I had plenty of time - big mistake!

AirTran check-in took 1-1/2 hours plus security (OK it was spring break). Lots of folks were in line yelling that they were going to miss thier flights but Airtran's attitude was that you should of gotten here earlier. Two hours was the airline recommended time for check-in but it was not enough for many who were told their flights were closed by the time they finally checked in.

We were worried our bags might not make the plane as the pile was huge at the TSA baggage screening. Turns out 2 of our 3 bags made the plane. Bag number 3 ended up in Detriot (we live in Richmond).

Except for the airport excitement, we had an excellent Glory cruise and would do it again.

Lou

There were a lot of teenagers on this cruise over 100 just from a Michigan Senior class.

Carroll

these kids are too lucky. i never wld have dreamed to be able to take a trip like that when i was in college, let alone high school. ft. lauderdale was the extent for us. they probably don't know how privileged they are.

glad you had a great time.

1) I only live 3 hours from Cape Canaveral, but have heard you get better parking if you stay at a hotel that will let you leave your car in their parking lot while you are on your cruise...is this true? 3hrs away and never cruised.....you wouldnt be able to keep off a ship. We are driving for the first time so Im curious as well. Im searching other boards, if I hear anything I'll let you know. 2) Will they take my wine, rum, and drink mixers out of my checked bags?

[COLOR=blue]I carry on all the time, when I arrive and from port and nothing has ever been said. I even leave it out in my room. I only usually have a bottle or two.

[/color]3) Is it true you cannot bring on soft drinks any longer?

[COLOR=blue]again if you can place it in a suitcase you will be fine.My first cruise (15yrs ago) we brought back 2L bottles from our first port, havent tried since. I say put in your suitcase or bag you are carrying on and see what happens.[/color]

4) I am a blue jean baby, but have been told I cannot take them on the cruise...is this true for the entire cruise, or is it dress code for certain nights? No jeans or shorts in the dining room for dinner. Most are in casual resort wear....capris, sun dress etc. Jeans are fine anyother time. Im doutful you will wear them during the day if outside...you will cook!! 5) Any tricks of the trade to get "freebies"? (I've heard there are lots to be had, but no one ever share how to get them.)

[COLOR=blue]CAMERA!!!!! dont forget it....underwater one if you snorkel, they work for land pictures as well. Buying disposable cameras isnt cheap on ship or port. Batteries as well.

[/color]7) Can I bring my own snorkle gear, or must I rent it? [COLOR=blue]Yes[/color]

8) This is our 10 year anniversary, can anyone recommend a special something I can either bring aboard for my husband or have delivered? (He told me not to, but I've never listened to him in the past...why start now?) The dinner clubs are nice now....make reservations the day of boarding. 30pp and well worth it, you are getting a 5 star meal in a very romantic environment. Or send him to the spa...that will cost alot more but he may like that.9) Has anyone ever had their cabin upgraded by taking the option that says you are guaranteed one cabin or better? (We have a balcony cabin with this guarantee.)

[COLOR=blue]Ive never done an assigned cabin...upgrades are usually same level of cabin they just move you up a floor or two.[/color]10) Are their any superstitions surrounding cruising I need to be aware of (not that I'm superstitious, but I love hearing them)?

Know your cruise will not be perfect...there are thousands on board, you may have some delays, have to ask for an xtra towel more than once, run out of something at dinner or have to wait in long lines to get lunch or get off the boat at port. Relax.....your on vacation. If you go with that attitude, you will have a ball and the rest of the passengers around you will be happy. I hate to hear complainers when Im cruising the high seas!

Thanks all!!

Best of luck!!!

1) I only live 3 hours from Cape Canaveral, but have heard you get better parking if you stay at a hotel that will let you leave your car in their parking lot while you are on your cruise...is this true? Living that close, I would just park in the garage. It will cost you around 90 dollars, but that is still cheaper then the hotel. Then you don't have the hassle of waiting on a shuttle.

2) Will they take my wine, rum, and drink mixers out of my checked bags? Last I checked, they still allow you to take wine on board. The rest they would take if they found it. Still, I think most of it gets by them anyway.

3) Is it true you cannot bring on soft drinks any longer? Yes it is true, you can no longer bring soft drinks or water, but you can smuggle it like your rum if you so choose. If you don't, I wouldn't suggest a fountain fun card unless you drink about 5 pops or more a day. A glass of pop costs you $1.25 while the fountain fun cards are $5.25 a day (I think). As for water, I would just by a bottle of water and then refill it in the room or where ever. The water is filtered pretty well, so you should have no problems with it.

Well, the only place this would come into play is the main dining halls. Formal night they are definately a no go. As for the other nights, it just depends how you feel really. I don't wear jeans to dinner, but I have seen people that do. They won't kick you out for doing it on non-formal nights, I don't believe.

Do a search for Carnival secrets number II on here. It has a consolidated list of key points from the first thread and a few other interesting tidbits. The first thread is a bear to read because it is so long, but if you do read it, be prepared to lose a few hours doing it.

An open mind. If you go looking for problems you will have them. I would also pick out your excursions before you go, because if you go snorkeling or something like that, you may want a waterproof camera.

7) Can I bring my own snorkle gear, or must I rent it? I would think you could bring your own, but if you are going to go on an excursion, you will have already paid for it.

You can pre-order gifts on Carnival.com from the gift department. I don't know about what you can bring on, I would call Carnival on that one, and I am sure this board has plenty of ideas. You could probably start a thread on this question alone. Also know they charge extra for the cake in the dining hall.

I picked my cabin both times, first the riveria deck because the lower the better if you are worried about seasickness. Wasn't a problem for us. The second time was an aft balcony which we will probably do again. Therefore, I have never been upgraded.

10) Are their any superstitions surrounding cruising I need to be aware of (not that I'm superstitious, but I love hearing them)? I don't know any of them, but I always go the night before, but I always have to fly in as well. 3 hours away, I would drive early. I would also get there around 10 to 10:30 AM. Should be on the lido deck by 11:30 or 12:00 having that GLORIOUS first hamburger and fries. :)

Thanks all!!

Here were my thoughts. hope it helps.

Embarkation was a breeze. Got to the pier at about 11:15am. Onboard by noon. We did notice passengers STILL getting off the ship at that time. Cabins were not ready yet, but we just brought our carry-ons with us to the Lido Deck for lunch. If you are on the ship early, there were no lines for any of the food venues.....grill, fish and chips, deli so we took advantage of that!

Disembarkation was a mess.:mad: Luckily we did not have flights on Saturday. Those who had early flights self-disembarked. If you didn't you were out-of-luck. It took over 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours to get off the ship. This was a very UN-FUN SHIP ending. I read that this seems to happen alot on the Glory. The Disney ship next to us did not have issues so I doubt it was because of the port authorities. I think they call too many colors too quickly. If you are not in a hurry to get off the ship, wait in a public room as long as possible.

Would we sail on the Glory again because of this????? YES. Otherwise we had a fantastic time. Just wanted to give you a heads-up if you have to get to the airport before noon.

We sailed on the GLORY in December and had no problems whatsoever with Debarkation. Our deck was called at 9:15 and by 10:00 we had our luggage and were loading into the car. Everything went very smoothly.

Archived