Passport questiom

DeeCT

Hey Cruise Critic...

gotta question.. I am booked on the 5/13 spirit sailing, bahamas and Florida.. I was told by NCL that I DID NOT need a passport for this trip, but I was reading a thread on the Bahamas boards, that in order to get back to the ship you need your ship card and Passport... PLEASE tell me that NCL was right and I am going to be OK, because I don't think there is anyway I am going to be able to get a passport in 25 days time!

Dee

You do NOT need a passport while traveling this route by ship in 2007. Its only needed now if you have to fly back from the Bahamas.

this is the quote from the site above

U.S. Citizens traveling by air to and from the Bahamas must present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport (or other original proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate with a government-issued photo ID).

The birth cert is the same one you need to get on the ship with a photo ID, if you don't have a passport. They look at your ship card and your photo id when getting back on the ship as part of port security. That's all.

I think you will be okay

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. Citizens traveling by air to and from the Bahamas must present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport (or other original proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate with a government-issued photo ID). Voter registration cards, Social Security cards, driver's licenses, affidavits, and other similar documents are not acceptable as proof of U.S. citizenship. U.S. citizens do not need to obtain visas to visit the Bahamas. However, U.S. citizens planning on an extended stay of several months may be asked to provide proof or evidence of financial solvency upon entry to Bahamian immigration authorities. Travelers arriving via private watercraft are charged docking fees.

Dee,

If you are to scared to go because you don't have your passport I will be more than happy to take your place. All kinding aside. No you don't need your passport unless something happens to the ship and you are required to fly back.

I would get a passport now. Just to be on the safe side. You probably have time, just make sure they do a rush on it. Probably have to pay an arm and leg to get it. In the event of an emergency and have to fly home, you will not be able to. You will have to stay on the ship until you get back to the U.S.A.

I would get a passport now. Just to be on the safe side. You probably have time, just make sure they do a rush on it. Probably have to pay an arm and leg to get it. In the event of an emergency and have to fly home, you will not be able to. You will have to stay on the ship until you get back to the U.S.A.

In case of an emergency and if you have to fly back, an emergency authoization can be gotten from the Department of State. I do believe in Passports but unless you plan to travel next year, I wouldn't get one in such a rush.

Dee- Hopefully you'll enjoy your cruise so much that you'll book the next one while onboard- so you will eventually need a passport. But for now- your certified BC with a Gov't issued ID will suffice (& marriage cert, if that's an issue), even if something happens and you have to fly back (getting emergency authorization).

You really don't have time to get a passport now- even if you pay the extra amount- the Passport Agencies are so backed up- why risk it? This is especially true if you only have one certified BC- which you would have to mail with your application. If you do have two certified BC's, then you might consider applying now.....but I'd still wait until you're back from this cruise. It's really so close- relax and enjoy the last minute excitement without worrying about receiving a passport.

Archived