Need Help Choosing a Cruise

whitgb

I am in the beginning stages of looking at cruise lines. The kids will be 2.5 and 4.5 when we are looking to go. I understand that the Non-potty trained are not allowed in the pools. Does anyone besides Disney have "splash pools" for this age?

Also we are open to any suggestions on times of year to cruise and cruise lines for the least amount of bad weather and opportunity for sea sickness. I understand that weather is out of the ships hands but I know some months are better than others.

Thanks for any assistance. Reading all the suggestions from others has been a great help.

Disney is the only one right now that has a splash pool for non-potty trained. RCCL Freedom/Liberty of the Seas *MAY* be adding one in the next week or two. Rumors were circulating that they were outfitting these ships with a glass section to mark off an area in the H20 zone for infants. I'll be on Freedom of the Seas in 11 days so I plan to come back with pictures and a report if they are allowing infants.

I suffer from motion sickness but I have NEVER been sick, no matter what time of year, on any of the bigger ships. I've been on cruises in Sept/Nov/Dec/Feb/June. I guess there are some passages that are worse than others...like cruises out of New York/Phillie/Batlimore to Bermuda/Eastern Carribean. I personally haven't done one of these but have heard from many that have.

The prices are the BEST in May/the week after Thanksgiving/last week in August/Sept and Oct.

Is this your first cruise? What kind of vacation are you looking for?

We will be cruising in November (Carnival Liberty) with 2 small kids (ages 16 months and 4 1/2 years at the time of the cruise). I choose a cruise with a lot of port days so we could take the kids to the beach there and my 16 month old would be able to go swimming as well.

I found the rates to be very high during the summer months and we wanted to cruise towards the end of hurricane season as well, so we chose the second week in November. I have cruised in the month of November twice already and have never had a problem with rough seas etc.

I have found the Carnival site or Expedia to be really easy to search for cruises.

Hope that helps.

We will be cruising in November (Carnival Liberty) with 2 small kids (ages 16 months and 4 1/2 years at the time of the cruise). I choose a cruise with a lot of port days so we could take the kids to the beach there and my 16 month old would be able to go swimming as well.

I found the rates to be very high during the summer months and we wanted to cruise towards the end of hurricane season as well, so we chose the second week in November. I have cruised in the month of November twice already and have never had a problem with rough seas etc.

I have found the Carnival site or Expedia to be really easy to search for cruises.

Hope that helps.

That is a GREAT time to cruise. AND the last week on November. I couldn't believe how cheap it was this past year.

So where does someone from Bahamas cruise to? We LOVE to cruise to your neck of the woods. :D

That is a GREAT time to cruise. AND the last week on November. I couldn't believe how cheap it was this past year.

So where does someone from Bahamas cruise to? We LOVE to cruise to your neck of the woods. :D

Well, for our honeymoon we did the Western part - Jamaica, Mexico, Haiti, and Grand Caymen.

This time we are doing the eastern part - San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau.

I'm really excited about our first cruise with the girls :-)

Well, for our honeymoon we did the Western part - Jamaica, Mexico, Haiti, and Grand Caymen.

This time we are doing the eastern part - San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau.

I'm really excited about our first cruise with the girls :-)

You will have a blast with the kids! This is our first time to do the Western Carib, we usually do Eastern. So I hope we like it. :)

Here's a suggestion (not parenting advice!) for the OP: Use the upcoming cruise as an incentive for your 2 year old to become potty trained.

You can get them excited about the big ship, new bed, bathing suit...whatever, and have him ready to go by the time you cruise.

Here's a suggestion (not parenting advice!) for the OP: Use the upcoming cruise as an incentive for your 2 year old to become potty trained.

You can get them excited about the big ship, new bed, bathing suit...whatever, and have him ready to go by the time you cruise.

HAHAHAHAHA...I stressed about that. That my child wouldn't be potty trained in time. The funny part is that my oldest daughter, who I started potty training at 18 months. We read the potty book. Did the potty stickers. Tried EVERY potty trick. Tried to coerce her with cool panties. Did the potty dance. :eek: And she is a BRAIN. BUT, she would NOT be fully potty trained until she was 3.

My youngest. I decided I was NOT going to potty train. If she wanted to learn it she would do it herself. We didn't mention it. We didn't try cute character panties NADA. One day when she had JUST turned 2 I went into her room and she was sleeping IN PANTIES. She had gone into her drawers and gotten them out and put them on during nap time. She was potty trained from that moment on and even night trained. :eek:

The moral to the story...no matter HOW MUCH we want our kids to potty train, they will do it when they are good and ready...lol. :D

HAHAHAHAHA...I stressed about that. That my child wouldn't be potty trained in time. The funny part is that my oldest daughter, who I started potty training at 18 months. We read the potty book. Did the potty stickers. Tried EVERY potty trick. Tried to coerce her with cool panties. Did the potty dance. :eek: And she is a BRAIN. BUT, she would NOT be fully potty trained until she was 3.

My youngest. I decided I was NOT going to potty train. If she wanted to learn it she would do it herself. We didn't mention it. We didn't try cute character panties NADA. One day when she had JUST turned 2 I went into her room and she was sleeping IN PANTIES. She had gone into her drawers and gotten them out and put them on during nap time. She was potty trained from that moment on and even night trained. :eek:

The moral to the story...no matter HOW MUCH we want our kids to potty train, they will do it when they are good and ready...lol. :D

LOL this is good self potty trained kids now who would have thought that one out. But anyone that lives in Lion country has a great plan. Especially our son who lives in State College and delivers supplies from his place of employment (Office Depot). he is 25 and has never cruised and I do not even think he's had a girlfriend (I could be wrong there) :eek:

I totally agree that kids will potty train when they are good and ready. My younger son fought me tooth and nail, tried big boy undies, pull ups, incentives (i.e. bribes), you name it. Then, (we live in CA) the kids and I were flying back from Pennsylvania after visiting my parents and he decided on a 6 hour flight that he was going to use the potty--every 20 minutes! It was a very long flight.

I totally agree that kids will potty train when they are good and ready. My younger son fought me tooth and nail, tried big boy undies, pull ups, incentives (i.e. bribes), you name it. Then, (we live in CA) the kids and I were flying back from Pennsylvania after visiting my parents and he decided on a 6 hour flight that he was going to use the potty--every 20 minutes! It was a very long flight.

I can imagine that you and the other passengers loved this! You just never know what kids are capable of.

Both of my sons potty trained in a few days, so maybe I'm not the best person to suggest the potty training thing. I just thought that the cruise might just be the push that the OP (and child) needs to git 'er done!:D

LOL this is good self potty trained kids now who would have thought that one out. But anyone that lives in Lion country has a great plan. Especially our son who lives in State College and delivers supplies from his place of employment (Office Depot). he is 25 and has never cruised and I do not even think he's had a girlfriend (I could be wrong there) :eek:

Hey I've been to THAT Office Depot! We only live about 30 minutes away. :D

You will have to drag him on a cruise! :)

• 4 weeks later...

That is SO funny :D

My kids were *exactly* like that also!!

My eldest is THE BRAIN and was not out of night-time diapers until she was almost 4!!

DS was fully potty trained before he was 2!!

(and remember me from another post ~ we have younger kids with ear problems!!) too spooky!!:o

we did the Western part - Jamaica, Mexico, Haiti, and Grand Caymen.

We are doing this in November on Freedom... I was wondering why we got such a good deal so it is interesting reading this post to find out that the last week of November is a good week for sailing!

I was also DELIGHTED to hear that one doesn't really feel motion on the larger ships as I suffer from dreadful motion sickness and am worried as this is our first cruise!

I was hoping the weather would be favourable for us first timers!!;)

The kids just cant' wait!!

Archived