toddler carseat concerns during excursions

smurfygirl

I've been on a number of cruises ever since I was little so I am pretty familiar with how they work. For our next Caribbean cruise, however, we will have our 25 month old (now 19 month old) with us, so we have certain things to think about which we haven't needed to in the past.

The biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is what do you all do for transporting little ones on excursions/shuttles at the different ports? Do you bring a car seat? Do they offer car seats? Do you just forget about carseats during this time and use regular seatbelts :( ? Do you just stay in the immediate area if you have young kids and don't go anywhere that requires vehicular transportation?

We are going with my parents and they have a couple tours they want to do which aren't sponsored by the ship and I am just worried about safety for my son. I know most likely everything would be fine if we didn't use a car seat, but if something happened I could never forgive myself.

TIA

I understand your concerns; we would all have them. It won't be fun, but I suggest you bring the car seat and even then some of the tour buses, ship sponsored or not may not have seat belts or ones that work. Remember our country is far advanced when it comes to things like this. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. NMNita

Depending on where you are going and what kind of an excursion you are on you might not be able to bring your toddler.. MAny of the tour companies are now steeting a minimum age.

As far as I can remember many on many of the tours your lucky if you get a real vehicle, and no a makeshift tractor/car/bus....let a lone a seat belt or a seat to strap it too.

You mentioned the independant tour. Since you were able to book it you should be able to contact them and ask them the specifics. This way you won't have to worry so much.

Just remember you've got a two year old that you are going to be chasing around so there may be a lot of things you really want to do that you may not be able to.

Dave:eek:

Never thought of it but have never seen a car seat on any of our tours. However as we generally take longer cruises , not many children. If you are going to bring one for your flight , slap a luggage tag on it, and take it aboard. Bill

I was "advised" by a owner of a beach I had contacted not to go with a taxi and a toddler. He suggested we go with the tours which had busses. I had to give him credit for being truthful with me. It turned out he was right. We had to hold her on our laps but it was a lot safer than putting her in a taxi with they way they tend to drive. My daughter was a nervous wreck with the whole idea of no car seat. Which is understandable.

Archived