NCL in NYC after April 2008?

Sail Happy

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about NCL still going out of NYC after April 2008. According to the Gem's summer schedule, she's going to be doing European itineraries instead of staying in New York year-round.:(

Thanks!

Frankly, I'm amazed that NCL is treating NYC as a homeport in such a stepchild fashion as they release post April 2008 schedules.

The line has had two -- count 'em, two -- ships domicled there year round, and I can't help but believe that hasn't been hugely profitable for them.

But their strategy in introducing the newest schedules? A simple headline: "All the action (biggest, newest, nicest vessels) is in Europe."

New York sailings? They'll get to that....eventually....with something (likely just one ship, and forget about it being one of the newer ones)...probably generic 7 day itineraires...:mad:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about NCL still going out of NYC after April 2008. According to the Gem's summer schedule, she's going to be doing European itineraries instead of staying in New York year-round.:(

Thanks!

Word is that the NYC sailings will be released by the end of this week. If the rumors are true, we might be getting the Dawn doing a Bermuda run with 3 days in port. IMO if NCL can pull this off it will be well worth the wait!!!!

Since the Dawn is too large for St. George, and Kings Warf is too busy for a three day stay. If the Dawn does a Bermuda itinerary it will be with either a Bahamas or Virgin Island cruise, limiting the ship to a one day stay in Bermuda.

The only ship left in NCL's fleet for a three day stay in St. George is the Majesty. If the Dream is still in the fleet, which I douobt, she could do a three day stary in Hamiliton. If the Spirit or Dawn are based in the Northeast in the summer of 2008, neither can do a 3 day stay.......

Frankly, I'm amazed that NCL is treating NYC as a homeport in such a stepchild fashion as they release post April 2008 schedules.

The line has had two -- count 'em, two -- ships domicled there year round, and I can't help but believe that hasn't been hugely profitable for them.

But their strategy in introducing the newest schedules? A simple headline: "All the action (biggest, newest, nicest vessels) is in Europe."

New York sailings? They'll get to that....eventually....with something (likely just one ship, and forget about it being one of the newer ones)...probably generic 7 day itineraires...:mad:

I so agree. I just do not understand???

New York is the one of two homeports that have cruises year round, when NCL decided to do winter cruises from New York less than five years ago. Honolulu being the other city.

Los Angeles, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, and Charleston lose their winter ships during the summer. With the Crown leaving the fleet after this summer, and the Wind gone too, and possibly the Dream after this winter, one new ship the Gem entering the fleet, one ship cannot replace three ships. Fortunately, the Pride of Hawaii leaving Honolulu becoming the Norwegian Jade, NCL found one more ship. Two ships still cannot replace three next summer if the Dream departs the fleet.

While Bermuda has done studies since 2000, not one penny has been spent to improve Kings Warf, Hamiliton, or St. George to handle larger ships.

With the sinking of one of Louis Lines ships, and with them looking seriously to replace it, and with Louis Lines interests in the Majesty, it would not surprise me with NCL running red ink, she will be sold to Louis Lines sooner than we think.

The days are coming to the end of any NCL ship sailing three day stays to Bermuda. I say within the next two years.

Currently, the only three ships I believe available for the Northeast next summer will be the Dawn, Spirit, and Majesty. I expect the Dream to depart the fleet next summer. If the Majesty is sold, there won't be any three day stays in Bermuda next year. The Dawn and the Spirit are too large for St. George and Hamiliton, leaving only a one day stay at Kings Warf.

Ncl is waiting for everyone to get fed up waiting for there summer schedule.I figure RCCL,Hal and Carnival must be having a ball booking Ny cruises with all the Ncl customers who are sick of waiting.It's funny that Rccl and some Carnival dates are into 09 already and the managment at Ncl can't even get past april.You'll get your exciting choice of port canaveral or key west .Yippee.Maybe Ncl thinks the Ny market is a dead fish and not worth the effort.

New York is the one of two homeports that have cruises year round, when NCL decided to do winter cruises from New York less than five years ago. Honolulu being the other city.

Los Angeles, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, and Charleston lose their winter ships during the summer. With the Crown leaving the fleet after this summer, and the Wind gone too, and possibly the Dream after this winter, one new ship the Gem entering the fleet, one ship cannot replace three ships. Fortunately, the Pride of Hawaii leaving Honolulu becoming the Norwegian Jade, NCL found one more ship. Two ships still cannot replace three next summer if the Dream departs the fleet.

While Bermuda has done studies since 2000, not one penny has been spent to improve Kings Warf, Hamiliton, or St. George to handle larger ships.

With the sinking of one of Louis Lines ships, and with them looking seriously to replace it, and with Louis Lines interests in the Majesty, it would not surprise me with NCL running red ink, she will be sold to Louis Lines sooner than we think.

The days are coming to the end of any NCL ship sailing three day stays to Bermuda. I say within the next two years.

Currently, the only three ships I believe available for the Northeast next summer will be the Dawn, Spirit, and Majesty. I expect the Dream to depart the fleet next summer. If the Majesty is sold, there won't be any three day stays in Bermuda next year. The Dawn and the Spirit are too large for St. George and Hamiliton, leaving only a one day stay at Kings Warf.

I believe the Spirit could sail into Hamilton for a three day stay if NCL really wanted. If the 105,000 ton Costa Magica can enter through Two Rocks Passage, so can the Spirit. It'll be interesting to see if it fits through Two Rocks, and where they dock it this May.

The Costa Magica's Length is 892 feet, its Beam is 115 feet.

The Norwegian Spirit's Length is 880 feet, its Beam is 106 feet.

I'm noty sure the Norwegian Dawn can enter Hamilton; while having the same Beam as the Spirit, it's Length is 965 feet. The extra 800 feet of Length may cause problems, especially while docked to the piers.

To add, there will be two other ships in Hamilton the day the Costa Magica arrives. I believe Costa plans to dock it at Hamilton's freight pier instead of the cruise ship piers. NCL could do the same thing, setting up a tent or small building for Bermuda's Customs.

Ncl is waiting for everyone to get fed up waiting for there summer schedule.I figure RCCL, Hal and Carnival must be having a ball booking Ny cruises with all the Ncl customers who are sick of waiting.It's funny that Rccl and some Carnival dates are into 09 already and the managment at Ncl can't even get past april.You'll get your exciting choice of port canaveral or key west. Yippee. Maybe Ncl thinks the Ny market is a dead fish and not worth the effort.

I doubt it. NCL has been busier than Carnival, HAL, and RCCL moving ships and passengers around as it decreases the number of ships sailing Hawaiian cruises. Time that should have been spent setting up future itineraries. But, whennsetting up future itineraries, one has to know which ships are available where . Now that that has been decided finally, I expect NCL will release new booings soon.

Ncl is waiting for everyone to get fed up waiting for there summer schedule.I figure RCCL,Hal and Carnival must be having a ball booking Ny cruises with all the Ncl customers who are sick of waiting.It's funny that Rccl and some Carnival dates are into 09 already and the managment at Ncl can't even get past april.You'll get your exciting choice of port canaveral or key west .Yippee.Maybe Ncl thinks the Ny market is a dead fish and not worth the effort.

I get all worked up when I read your comments. First because I am booked on Carnival for April and August 2008, because I could not wait. The price that I am holding on both have already gone up- so I am glad I did it. Also I get mad - and I am sorry I have said this sooooo many times - on how I really dislike the 7 night itinerary. The 10 night out of NYC are so limited - I just wish they would offer it more often.

I am wishful thinking BUT maybe the ship they use for the Summer 2008 will do a 10 night in late April for my break. My fingers are crossed. I would cancel Carnival. The Dawn's itinerary end in the first week of April- you never know . I would gladly change my 2 cruises that I have planned. NCL always takes good care of me on board and that is why I enjoy coming back.

Already NCL has committed two ships to Hawaii, three ships to Europe, and three ships to Alaska. The Hawaiian itineraries will probably continue as is, although not posted yet. I would expect Hawaii will be posted very soon.

That leaves sailings from New York and Boston left. The Dawn, Spirit, and Majesty. It appears the Dream won't be around. I suspect the Dawn and Spirit from New York, and the Majesty from Boston. These itineraries should be up soon too.

If you can't wait another week or two, book another line. But never expect one of the smaller lines to book first. Bigger lines book first.

Also I get mad - and I am sorry I have said this sooooo many times - on how I really dislike the 7 night itinerary. The 10 night out of NYC are so limited - I just wish they would offer it more often.

I feel the same way. That is why we booked out of Miami next spring on the Pearl.

Also, no cold sea days out of Miami, but had they scheduled more 10 and 11 day cruises, we might be sailing out of NYC again next year with our friends!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess we'll have to wait and see what NCL decides to do with the Port of New York. I'm disappointed that the Gem won't be here in NY that long. I do love the Dawn, though, and it would be nice to see her again in NY for the summer...hopefully going to Bermuda.

I feel the same way. That is why we booked out of Miami next spring on the Pearl.

Also, no cold sea days out of Miami, but had they scheduled more 10 and 11 day cruises, we might be sailing out of NYC again next year with our friends!!!!!!

In the winter it has to be a 10-11 day out of NY. I enjoy a balcony and usually always book one , but the Spirit doesn't accommodate a quad balcony and the Dawn makes you pay more and take a minisuite( which they fixed on the Pearl). Our Spring Break is late April so I will wait and see. The Gem is still here in Late April but the 7 day itinerary just doesn't cut it for me.

Already NCL has committed two ships to Hawaii, three ships to Europe, and three ships to Alaska. The Hawaiian itineraries will probably continue as is, although not posted yet. I would expect Hawaii will be posted very soon.

That leaves sailings from New York and Boston left. The Dawn, Spirit, and Majesty. It appears the Dream won't be around. I suspect the Dawn and Spirit from New York, and the Majesty from Boston. These itineraries should be up soon too.

If you can't wait another week or two, book another line. But never expect one of the smaller lines to book first. Bigger lines book first.

Thats pretty much what i plan to do.I'll be on the Dawn monday for the 11 day s.carib and if they don't have a summer 08 intinerary out,i'll skip the future booking and look elsewere.Ncl prices are going crazy anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised by the time you return from your cruise, NCL will have all of the summer itineraries up. Only New York and Boston are left. I suspect the Majesty will do three day stays in Bermuda either out of New York or Boston. Check the cruise consultant and the world wide web during the cruise. Have a happy cruise.

After NCL settles their summer itineraries, the winter itineraries will be most likely posted in May along with the repositioning cruises.

I wouldn't count on year round sailings from New York. Miami has not seen NCL summer cruises since the Norway left almost four years ago. Prices are higher in the summer out of Florida due to less ships and more demand for those of us with school children, but NCL continues to ignore this market. It would not surprise me if they pull out of New York as well. Year round ports are just something NCL doesn't be seem to be too interested in the past few years.

I wouldn't count on year round sailings from New York. Miami has not seen NCL summer cruises since the Norway left almost four years ago. Prices are higher in the summer out of Florida due to less ships and more demand for those of us with school children, but NCL continues to ignore this market. It would not surprise me if they pull out of New York as well. Year round ports are just something NCL doesn't be seem to be too interested in the past few years.

Could not disagree more - cruises on the Norway in the summer were dirt cheap. They will more then likely have two ships in NYC in the summer of 2008 then one in Miami. The Dawn will be back for sure in my view and more then likely the Spirit as well. Lets face it the folks from the northeast have little motivation to go to FL in summer except to take advantage of the deep off season discounts.

We will all know in a couple of weeks. :)

When we were last in Bermuda we were on Jewel of the Seas and spent two nights at Kings Wharf. I've noticed Explorer also does two night stays in Bermuda. If NCL could combine two nights in Bermuda with a stop in Martha's Vineyard and Newport, I'd love that for a summer cruise.

I was hoping the Dawn was coming to Boston but now I think it will be back in NYC. Would I be better off to do a 3.5 day stay in Bermuda on an old ship like Majesty or do a one night stay on Dawn? Then there is Crown Princess with one night stay in Bermuda or Explorer's two nights at King's Wharf. Too many cruises to figure it out.

Would you prefer Majesty 3.5 nights or Dawn 1 night? Just wondering.

I've heard the itineraries will be out by Tuesday.

We've done 3.5 Bermuda days on the Crown and 1 Bermuda day on the Spirit and 3.5 days wins hands down.

One day Spirit=bus to Horseshoe, followed by cab to Swizzle (now you can go to the south shore Swizzle which is just a hop, skip and jump from Horseshoe Bay) followed by bus to Hamilton to visit Gosling's for falernum and catch the ferry back to the dockyard. Fun, but exhausting.

Give me three overnights on a smaller ship anyday;)

Could not disagree more - cruises on the Norway in the summer were dirt cheap. They will more then likely have two ships in NYC in the summer of 2008 then one in Miami. The Dawn will be back for sure in my view and more then likely the Spirit as well. Lets face it the folks from the northeast have little motivation to go to FL in summer except to take advantage of the deep off season discounts.

We will all know in a couple of weeks. :)

I am so glad you disagree. I would never want NCL to leave MYC.

Archived