NCL in NYC after April 2008?

Sail Happy

Could not disagree more - cruises on the Norway in the summer were dirt cheap. They will more then likely have two ships in NYC in the summer of 2008 then one in Miami. The Dawn will be back for sure in my view and more then likely the Spirit as well. Lets face it the folks from the northeast have little motivation to go to FL in summer except to take advantage of the deep off season discounts.

We will all know in a couple of weeks. :)

What does this have to do with the northeast? There are actually people here in the south that cruise. It doesn't matter if you want to come to Florida or not. Yes the Norway fares were low, but her fares were that way pretty much year round. The other cruise lines get much higher fares in the summer than much of the winter out of Florida due too fewer ships and higher demand from locals with children. New York cruises not being any different. These 'off season' discounts don't exist in the summer here. Fares only drop after the first part of August which is when schools start.

I wouldn't count on year round sailings from New York. Miami has not seen NCL summer cruises since the Norway left almost four years ago. Prices are higher in the summer out of Florida due to less ships and more demand for those of us with school children, but NCL continues to ignore this market. It would not surprise me if they pull out of New York as well. Year round ports are just something NCL doesn't be seem to be too interested in the past few years.

NCL was one of 2 cruise lines that signed a 10-year contract with NYC as part of the overall pier upgrades. So unless they want to face a breach of contract suit with the City of NY, they will continue to sail out of NY -- at least for the next 10 years!

MARAPRINCE

By the way, I called NCL yesterday and got in touch with a cust. service rep who said that they have the Hawaii itineraries already! Just ask:)

I just called NCL and they said it might be June before the summer 2008 Hawaii itineraries are posted. Do you know who you talked to?

After getting involved again with NCL simply because they left out of my home port of New York, I will be extrememly disappointed and upset if they decide not to have a ship or two out of New York for any amount of time. I already have two trips booked from here; three, if you count the back to back as two, and expect to plan many more. Please don't abandon us in New York, NCL!!!!:eek:

I was under the impression, they had a contract with NYC for a 10 year contract. The Dawn has been here for about 4 or 5 years? That would still leave 5 years left on the contract. Am I wrong or misunderstanding?:confused:

I was under the impression, they had a contract with NYC for a 10 year contract. The Dawn has been here for about 4 or 5 years? That would still leave 5 years left on the contract. Am I wrong or misunderstanding?:confused:

You are correct - They have to push a minimum number of passengers (port charges) per year thru the port or pay anyway. This is one reason with only one ship in NYC the Gem is doing so few longer cruises just like the first year the Dawn was alone in NYC. Shorter cruises, more turns, more total passengers.

One thing that I am certain about there will be another ship(s) in NYC in the summer of 2008 and I expect the Gem to repo to NYC for the winter 2008-09

You are correct - They have to push a minimum number of passengers (port charges) per year thru the port or pay anyway. This is one reason with only one ship in NYC the Gem is doing so few longer cruises just like the first year the Dawn was alone in NYC. Shorter cruises, more turns, more total passengers.

One thing that I am certain about there will be another ship(s) in NYC in the summer of 2008 and I expect the Gem to repo to NYC for the winter 2008-09

First, thanks for clearing it up I thought I was having another senior moment here;)

I have to agree, the Gem will be back for the winters and the longer cruises.

The way it was explained to me is the mileage on the Dawn is very high and she will be doing short cruises out of NY in the summer. I hope it's really true :rolleyes:

I have to agree, the Gem will be back for the winters and the longer cruises.

The only way the Gem will be offering many more longer cruises in NYC "when" she comes back is if there is a second ship as well. Keep in mind this summer there are 3 NCL ships in NYC - no ships in November and most of Dec - one ship for the winter - next summer best case two with the Crown gone.

It is a math problem - the more ships the fewer number of cruises to hit the minmum and they can do more long cruises. NY does not care if they they do nothing but one day cruises. They get the same fee per passenger and expect a minimum number of passengers.

With 10 and 11 day cruises they get less then 3 turns a month - max 2500 X 3 or 7500 - port charges

7 day you get 4.5 per month or 11,250 port charges. A huge revnue difference

It is a math problem - the more ships the fewer number of cruises to hit the minmum and they can do more long cruises. NY does not care if they they do nothing but one day cruises. They get the same fee per passenger and expect a minimum number of passengers.

With 10 and 11 day cruises they get less then 3 turns a month - max 2500 X 3 or 7500 - port charges

7 day you get 4.5 per month or 11,250 port charges. A huge revnue difference

Any idea what kind of calendar it's based on? There are quite a few of those one nighters and I'm wondering how a fiscal year may figure into those.

Any idea what kind of calendar it's based on? There are quite a few of those one nighters and I'm wondering how a fiscal year may figure into those.

I have no idea of the details of the contract except there is a minmum passenger comittment that is funding in part the renovations of the piers. The one nighters help - same port charges as an 11 day. ;)

Archived