Using Priceline for Hotel - Pre and Post Cruise

I have a hotel booked in San Juan for our pre- and post-cruise in February --it's right before and right after President's Week (school holiday time). I did not get a "deal" at all, but I keep reading how everyone gets great hotels on Priceline for great prices.

We are looking for something resort-y -- Marriott, etc. In addition, we need a room that fits DH and me, DD (15) and DS (12). Going for 2 cabins on the cruise, but not in the hotel.

What do you plug in on Priceline? Is there a website that explains this? Are you bound? Can you make sure you get 2 queens (rather than 2 doubles?) SHould I just stilck with the Radisson (for $259/night)?

Would love help from anyone who has Priceline experience!

I have never been disappointed when staying at a Priceline hotel. I always book pre and post cruises except the cruise itself and other vacations. I was in line with a lady that booked her cruise through Priceline, but never got the opportunity to ask her how it went and if she thought it was a good deal. I do look at their site for cruises to check prices though. This year I have tried Hotwire for our pre and post hotel stays along with Priceline. The reason I did, is Priceline said that they didn't have a certian star class in the area I wanted to stay in ( Memphis ) and with luggage, I didn't want to take a chance with security issues, so I found a secure hotel at a reasonable price in a nice area. They are easier to book through and there is no bidding process, so you have to do some checking to see if your "deal" is just that or not. They explain what is available with the star class that you ask for and after you accept, you find out where it is. I'd like to hear from someone that has had an experience with Hotwire. Hope that helps you out in your decision process!

Anyone that's new to Priceline should sit back and take the time to read all about the process on biddingfortravel.com. There are instructions galore. AND you can find out what hotels are going for on which dates and where. Users update daily so you can figure out ahead of time what to bid and what to expect. AND there are "helpers" that will guide you thru the process and tell you what to bid if you need it.

I've used the Priceline site often and find it loads of fun as well as a way to save money. Just DO make sure you read the steps to successful bidding on the biddingfortravel site. I use it for car rentals too.

I always use hotwire.com and have found amazing hotel deals. I've stayed in downtown Chicago on Dec. 23rd in a 4 star hotel for $69, in schaumburg (by ikea) for $55 in a 4 star suite, several 3 star hotels in indianapolis for under $50. If you need a specific feature, such as a guaranteed indoor pool or a free shuttle, it's a better bet to pay more for the options you need, but hotwire will tell you whether they have an airport shuttle (doesn't tell you cost), pool (doesn't tell you if it's indoor/outdoor), or restaurant and the general area it is in. Out of probably 10 times of using hotwire, I have always been pleasantly suprised and never once disappointed with the value or the hotel.

Just a word of caution.. if using priceline for Fort Lauderdale.. I "thought" I had researched everything thorough enough to not be disappointed.. What I didn't realize it that there are 2 Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Hotels in the FLL area.. but the one that priceline "awarded" me was in Plantation, FL which is 8 miles west of the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale that I thought I "won". Not that the plantation might not be a good hotel.. it just was not what I thought I would get.. I didn't ask for Plantation, FL... and priceline will not correct the problem... So. just be careful.. especially if you are new to priceline.. I ended up booking a pre-cruise deal with Princess and got transfers and the hotel that I wanted..

I search for hotels on tripadvisor.com Members post reviews of the hotels, you can learn about hotel amenities, etc. Also, you can click on "check prices" and choose from which travel sites you want prices/availability (travelocity, priceline, orbitz, etc.).

I now always check the room/price on the actual hotel site and book directly through the hotel site if prices are comparable. (Easier to make a change or cancel if needed.)

Through experience, priceline doesn't always completely explain what type of room you are getting. We booked at a well-known inn in Sturbridge MA and ended up at the old travel lodge out in back of the property! Very disappointing, to say the least.

Good luck with your search. It is a tedious task sometimes. :)

I use PL all the time with great success. However, you most definitely cannot be guaranteed a room for 4 people as the bedding and room assignment is up to the hotel.

To the poster who claimed PL put them in a location they did not request, I find that difficult to believe. Thorough research will teach you what hotels are in what Zone and I have never (25 bids or so) had an issue.

Beware ! Some of these bidding sites specify that the rooms are for 2 people. You could easily get a room with 2 single beds. (not all hotels have rooms with 2 single beds but it is possible) It is also possible the hotel could charge you for a second room or for the extra 2 people when you arrive.

This is all very useful. I'm thinking that the only way this will work for us is if we can get 2 rooms at a great hotel for an amazing price. Then, DH and I would have to split up as I can't imagine we'd be able to get connecting rooms. Otherwise, we'll have to stick with what we have with our reservation.

Will have to remember to try PL when DH and I travel alone...

I think, TennisLover, that you are wise to think about Priceline when you have fewer requirements. My husband and I use Priceline with good success often. We prefer a king bed and I will the call the hotel direct as it nears the check-in date and request that king room. Generally we get it.

However if we needed connecting rooms, or a particular bedding arrangement for more than 2, I would probably use another site to book. When traveling with kids, I know I wanted things to move along as smoothly as possible.

As you get closer to the date needed, since you have refundable rates, do more searching. Or call the hotel you already booked and see if you can get a lower rate or free breakfast or some other perk. Never hurts to ask. But know that when you travel during any holiday period, the rates will be higher. Even without Pres Day, February is a big time travel period.

Have a great vacation!

Oh, when you have the time and patience, go to biddingfortravel.com and tutor yourself on how to bid. This site is a life saver for PL bidding. There are even "experts" that will guide you thru the steps. Here too, you'll get some idea of the "deals" people are getting on recently placed bids. Good luck in the future.

Archived