Our day in Tortola at the Bath's

judyf

Tortola: Monday: 4/9/07 7::00am to 11:30am-all aboard

I booked a private tour with Patouche and then they had a problem with their boat and had to cancel our tour. I then pre-booked a shore excursion online through NCL to do the Bath's Highlights. I had no problem at all with my booking, I know others on our sailing did. My mother could not do this tour, she decided to sleep in and stay on the ship. With our tour we took a short bus ride to a boat and it was about a 30 minute sail to the top of the Baths and then we hiked down at the bottom, you arrive at the first beach area. There are some restrooms with lockers. This place was beautiful. I really enjoyed the hiking part of this tour.

The first beach we went to the hike was mainly on a trial it was a fairly easy hike. This beach was fairly big and had some shade available. It was just beautiful. On your left is the entrance to the rock formations. IMO if you can make it through the first opening that is tight squeeze this is the hardest it got. Once inside, you walk over, under and around rocks. On the hike some of the time you are climbing, some of the time you are wading. When it is necessary to climb a rock, ladders and ropes are installed at different places to help you. Going through the rocks involves wading in knee length or lower water and involves having to climb over, under and through some awesome rock formations. It is very hot inside there and was rather crowded at points where some would be coming up and others coming down.

Remember if you put things in the lockers you must go back through the rock formations to go back to the lockers. We didn't have much time so we carried what we had with us so we didn't have to go back. At the end of the rock formations ithere's another beach, I don't remember the names of the beaches but I know one was devil's Beach I think it was the second beach but I'm not sure. Both beaches were great, I actually liked the first beach better is was more secluded and had some shade. Snorkeling was great at both according to those that snorkeled.

Tip: Make sure you wear water shoes or something that is good for climbing, flip flops or sandals don't really cut it here.

The only problem with this excursion it wasn't long enough.

Link to Tortola pictures

http://family.webshots.com/album/558677396sULcfa

We are in Tortola on Friday, June 1st, 7a-2p. Also thinking about opting for the ship sponsored excursion rather than be "left behind" ! :eek:

I may try to book with Patouche also just to see if he has things up and running again!

You look close to my age and size (I'm not telling either!) did you have much trouble navigating the distance between the beaches? Can you guesstimate how far it was?

Again, thanks for the pics! Can't wait till my turn!

Jacquelyn :D

No it's wasn't hard at all. The first tight spot is the worst to fit through and I made it. If you don't feel good about that first tight spot no problem you can stay at the first beach and walk back up the trail.

It's well worth every penny. I hope you have more time there then we did.

You will be leaving soon.

Archived