Embarkation at Miami...HELP!

MamaParrotHead

OK...our last (and first) cruise was the Valor out of Miami. At that time, we checked in, got our S&S, went through security, and were held in this big room in the first floor of the terminal, with lots of the retractable barriers set up so all of us kind of "wound" through the room in line. Afterwards, when we were allowed to board the ship, we followed the line up the escalators, through the (empty) huge room full of airport-style seating, up to have our S&S and Welcome Aboard pics taken and were on the ship.

Recently I've read reviews where people are checking in, going through security, then up to the airport-seating style room to wait to be let on the ship.

My question is this...how does that work? LOL Is it a massive chaotic stampede to get back into a line, when they start boarding? Do they have a system of putting people in line, based on where they're sitting or something? I'm quite confuzzled. :eek: :D I just don't want to make the effort to be there on the early side, then get stuck behind dozens of people who strolled in an hour after I did.

Thanks!

Our last time thru Miami we had our usual cat.12 cabin. After VIP check in they had us go to the big room with everyone else. Find a seat and wait till boarding started. Then a CCL staffer came over and picked out rows and only those rows were allowed to board. Not a real slick system but it was not a mess either. Yes everytime some folks tried to cut in and a few got away with it.

After VIP check in they had us go to the big room with everyone else.

As a VIP passenger you was suppose to continue to board the ship and not be seated over there with steerage. When did you last go?

Fred

As a joke and only a joke so please don't take that personal, some people use the word steerage for people that live way down below decks, like where the Crew would live. If you remember the Movie Titanic, all of the peasants lived down in Steerage. Steerage is where the Engines and the Steering Gear is located, way down below.

Fred

VIP Check in at Miami was quite a joke for us too. We had to constantly ask where to go and then we were told numerous times to just wait in line or sit...but we didnt take no for an answer and finally found someone who showed us to go to the front of the HUGE line (for pictures) and then proceed onboard. Glad I know now for next time.

VIP Check in at Miami was quite a joke for us too.

It was nice for us, we went into an office with a Rep behind a desk, as you go into the terminal its the first or second door on your left. She checked us in and told us to proceed to the second level. There we got our Sail & Sign card and waited there with 2 other couples and someone took us straight onboard. The embarkation camera people werent even ready.

Fred

I think everyone is familiar with the fact that if you have VIP status, you do not have to wait. Fairly self-explanatory. Thanks! :D

My question was not regarding VIP status...curious as to what the rest of us peasants ;) who will wait in line and how that works.

Fred,

Last time was December. The ship was late to begin boarding we were told. They did not have a separate area for vip. Unless you call are like the CCL staff that day and think these are the vip rows was a good answer. Our row was second to board after one of the steerage rows. It seemed to be on a first come first serve basis. It was not a big deal we waited 30 minutes in a chair. I survived the ordeal without to much harm. I was able to work up a bigger appetite.

In the past we went thru check in onto the ship. Our next Miami sailing is on the Freedom in November. Until that all I have to look forward to is the Elation in a couple of weeks. I will try to hang on till then.

I think everyone is familiar with the fact that if you have VIP status, you do not have to wait. Fairly self-explanatory. Thanks! :D

My question was not regarding VIP status...curious as to what the rest of us peasants ;) who will wait in line and how that works.

Sorry Mama to get away from the topic, (I thought you were VIP) well the day we sailed Valor there were 3 other ships in port and all seemed to be embarking at the same time, which is why I think they are very unorganized. And granted we were VIP and had to wait at least 1 hour to board and our friends who were not had to wait even longer. We arrived at the port at 12 and I heard from others we should have gone earlier. Whatever happens I hope you will have a wonderful cruise!!!

In March they started with the rows closest to the S&S desk. DH and I were lucky enough to be directed to the last two available seats in like row 3 so we got on before people who were there before us:rolleyes: It was well organized then. Now Debark is a different story! Elation or Imagination was debarking at same time we were and it really bogged down customs:( We opted to pay a porter to "help" expidite our departure through all the lines:cool:

We went out of Miami last week. VIP desk was not open yet but we were sent to a separate sign woman came and walked us through security to a separate desk. Man then took us up an escalator put us in a massive group. I said is this VIP lady said no go see that man again. He moved us to a separate area and when they started boarding (about 11:30) we went right after wedding parties. The general boarding she sent in order of arrival.

Archived