Alaska cruise companion book?

Retired 07

I believe I saw in an earlier thread a mention of a cruise companion book, I think put out by Princess that some people found very useful on their Alaskan cruise. (maps, geographical info on the glaciers,etc). I ran searches here and on the Princess site, and came up empty. Does anyone have any info on this book? (where to get it/if it's worth it, etc).... Thanks!

I got a new one still in shrink wrap from amazon for $12.22, which I think is much less than they are on the ship

As per info in the link above, there are two versions of this book. The Princess version apparently is more comprehensive.

You could buy it onboard but if I had it before the cruise, I would have looked at it more than I did while on the ship.

Prior to our cruise I had sent away to PRINCESS and purchased the set. It comes with some SUPER DETAILED maps and the entire package is great. You can follow your movement thru the inside passage and pick out from the map all the points of interest along the way. You can ck your exact position (latitude & longitude) on the map against the position shown on the closed circuit TV in your cabin. I wouldn't leave home without it and like the rest 0f AK it's worth every cent of the cost.

Have a super trip e CIAO,

IF you went through a travel agent, you might consider asking if the t/a knows where to get it at a discount. When I posed this question to my t/a, she told me she usually has one placed in the client's cabin (that's me ;) ), but now that she knows I am interested in it, she will mail it to my home before the cruise :D .

Sorry--I just bought the last copy that they had on ebay--used $14.90 plus shipping. Keep your eyes open and there will be more, I'm sure. All of you former Alaska cruisers who want to sell their copies --there is a need for them right now, if you want to put them up on the site.

As per info in the link above, there are two versions of this book. The Princess version apparently is more comprehensive.

You could buy it onboard but if I had it before the cruise, I would have looked at it more than I did while on the ship.

The one I bought says Princess Cruises Edition, and it is the new 2005 edition. Just watch ebay and amazon and maybe you can nab one

You can buy it though through the Princess Gifts site http://www.princess.com/onboard/services/gifts/boutiques_4.html

I bought it for my husband 2 months before our Alaska cruise and he LOVED it. It was very useful for planning ahead and than great to have on board. They set up a time and place when the Captain is available to sign the books during the cruise.

Hope that helps,

Anne

When I talked with Princess cruises on the phone a couple months ago, they told me that it was $20 if purchased on the ship or $25 if we ordered it from them ahead of time. I opted to wait and get it on the ship. My husband decided to surprise me with the book and ended up ordering it...guess he didn't need that extra $5 in his cruise account! All in all, I'm so glad that we got it ahead of time. Reading it before our cruise has helped me get an overview of what we will be seeing along the way and an insight into the ports-of-call. Besides that, it has helped pass some of the time while we've been waiting for our cruise date to get here...only one more month to go...guess I'd better hurry up and finish the book before the cruise gets here...I want to be "seeing" the Alaskan wonders rather than reading about them on the cruise!

Debjo

Debjo, thanks for the info on the book, but since were so close and Princess is so slow shipping stuff, ( I still have no cruise docs) I think I better wait till I am on board, besides that 5 bucks will almost pay for a drink...hehehehe

Joan

My husband said the same thing, it was WELL worth the $5 to have it ahead of time. It's VERY insightful, indepth about the ports you will be visiting and the history along the way. He was thrilled with it :D HOWEVER it was slow in arriving. As I recall at about 2 weeks :(

Archived